Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Ravens are not afraid to search all rosters, that's why they are successful

On that link of you click on his name on down the page there's an interview. Kansas and Baltimore is how he's followed... Guess why?

The same reason anyone not from Baltimore follows them, ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Thing is, if this guy was 2/3 inch taller, and had arms that were 1/2 inch longer, he'd be in the conversation for being a top 20 pick.
    And if the Queen had balls, she'd be King.* Can't teach bone length, son.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCroUSAF View Post
    I feel comfortable with whichever developmental LT we take due to the acquisition of Juan Castillo.
    FTFY. Amazing how much better the OL played once Castillo started "hanging around the team" in early January. Coincidence? We conjecture, you concur.
    "Balls," said the queen. "If I had two, I'd be king."
    The king laughed, not because he had to, but because he had two.
    "Nuts," said the prince. "I've got them, and I'm not king."
    "Crap," said the king, and 50,000 loyal subjects squatted and strained, because in those days, the king's word was law.
    Innumerable variants in play around the Web--Google is your friend.

Well, let's hold on before we use those guys are evidence. Flacco has obviously been a dead-on bulls eye, but he was graded out as a 1st or 2nd round talent by everybody. Nobody else on that list have made significant contributions in NFL games.

The ravens have the best scouts in the game. They find the value and the talent. I thought the thread would be about the free agents. They keep the guys like Rice, Webb and Joe who are clearly top ten at thier positions, but the the guys they can replace for less always seem to get replaced effectively. The Brown vs Birk deals a prime example.
    Small school prospect to check for is Jeremy Jester from Central Arkansas. He is a big time athlete that started as a Te at Tennessee but now is a de prospect with nice open field range and hands. His measurable s will be impressive but good luck finding decent game film on line.

:T2:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    I'd take armstead at 32. Huge untapped potential and upside. I think he's going to be a great left tackle for a long time
    Uh, no. With a 1st round pick, Ozzie is going to want a guy who can step in and play right away. While I don't mind seeing Armstead on the Ravens roster in 2013, it won't be because he's the 32nd pick... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Uh, no. With a 1st round pick, Ozzie is going to want a guy who can step in and play right away. While I don't mind seeing Armstead on the Ravens roster in 2013, it won't be because he's the 32nd pick... Bc
    Ozzie will take the best player available regardless of pick if we stay at 32 (unless it's an obvious contradiction like QB). If we draft to fill a need, it will either be the best value at that spot, or we would have traded up or back for him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    If we draft to fill a need, it will either be the best value at that spot, or we would have traded up or back for him.
    Presuming Oz can find the necessary trade partners. Frankly I'm somewhat surprised he gets so many opportunities to maneuver--were I an NFL GM I'd lay a firm grip on my wallet whenever caller ID says it's Mr Newsome on the line. Then again, I guess these guys don't get to GMship without absolute certainty they're the smartest mofos in the bidniz...

The difference from Ozzie and most of the league is that the Ravens big board is usually unlike most others. Every team looks at the same players, but there is something that the Ravens are looking for that works that most of the league hasn't caught on too. Ozzie's going to pick whoever is on his board that has the best value at that particular slot. It's all about how a team values a player and the Ravens are top 3 in that category especially since they regularly draft in the backend of the early rounds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Difference is, the Ravens unlike most teams, are not afraid to invest into small school and unknown talent. I mean, what teams has ever had a Delaware center snapping the ball to a Delaware QB in the NFL?

The Ravens clearly favor the ACC and SEC conferences, but a large portion of this team is made up by former college FCS players.
    The NFL is full of small school guys. DeMarcus Ware was the 11th overall pick and went to school at Troy University. I couldn't even tell you what conference Troy is in without looking it up. Now that's confidence in a small school player.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I know he got hurt, but Jimmy Smith wasn't slated to start right away. At 32, I think Ozzie would take a LT even if he had to red-shirt him for one season.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The NFL is full of small school guys. DeMarcus Ware was the 11th overall pick and went to school at Troy University. I couldn't even tell you what conference Troy is in without looking it up. Now that's confidence in a small school player.
    At least Troy is 1-A football (lower level 1-A but still..) and played BCS teams frequently.

Keep in mind that LT, much like QB (but to a lesser degree) go higher than their actual talent level based on importance of position. I can't see Armstead lasting through another 31 teams if he's there at 32. I am all for moving up in the 2nd round though. I'd rather grab a S/ILB/DL in the 1st and move up for Armstead in the second and sacrifice a few picks. Would much rather address needs early than end up with 11 guys who will slowly become irrelevant. I think this draft is going to have a lot of moving around to address needs and OZ is damn good at that. Real pumped to watch
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB