Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Ravens are not afraid to search all rosters, that's why they are successful

Armstead is going to be overdrafted based on his workouts...but nobody can deny the man is an amazing athlete.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Armstead is going to be overdrafted based on his workouts...but nobody can deny the man is an amazing athlete.
    it was his workout that made me look for as much tape as possible. I watched the senior bowl east west shrine and four college games. I had one missed block on level two and one sack in one of the bowl games.

He pulled a lot getting blocks on level two. Has the feet and the shadow technique (that's not the official name) to just push speed rushers around the back of the qb.

He has unbelievable potential, I'd easily put his ceiling up with fisher etc if he gets the right coaching. Obviously his floor would also be lower and that's why he's the wrong side of the first round.

I think he could be great, his potential imo is higher than anyone else that will be there at 32

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    He reminds me of the defensive lineman, something Gilbert, a couple of years ago who was able to jump out of a pool. That shot his draft stock way up. The Bears drafted him and he sucked. Pretty sure he's out of the NFL now.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Has the feet and the shadow technique (that's not the official name) to just push speed rushers around the back of the qb.
    I obviously have never seen Pine-Bluff play, so I just leave evaluation of these types of players to others, but this is, IMO the single most important skill for a LT....

Anyone that has followed my posting history on Oher will notice that this is what I CONSTANLY slam him for, he has absolutely NO DESIRE to even try to do this on a regular basis. It's why I always say he is trying to PLay LT like a guard... because guards go belly to belly and try and outmuscle each other... LT's shadow their opponent and keep distance.

On a guy like this, if the Ravens choose to select him, I will trust their evaluationa dn value judgement. IMo, from a very far disatance away, 32 seems too early.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I know he got hurt, but Jimmy Smith wasn't slated to start right away. At 32, I think Ozzie would take a LT even if he had to red-shirt him for one season.
    Jimmy Smith (Colorado) was the 3rd CB taken (behind P. Peterson #5 to Cardinals and Amukamara #19 to Giants in 2011). Are you equating him and Armstead at the same draft level? I sure don't... Bc

Small schoolers are hard to hit on and the Ravens have been amazing at it

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Jimmy Smith (Colorado) was the 3rd CB taken (behind P. Peterson #5 to Cardinals and Amukamara #19 to Giants in 2011). Are you equating him and Armstead at the same draft level? I sure don't... Bc
    Have you watched armstead at all? His upside IMO would be higher than jimmy smiths. He has as much potential as anyone in this draft, the only reason he's here so late is obviously hes but as developed as others and thus is floor is a lot lower, but I could see in five years time in a draft re do, the chiefs picking him at one.

I feel that strongly about him. I don't normally fall in love with prospects, I have my guys I'd want but armstead has took me to somewhere I haven't been before with a prospect lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Have you watched armstead at all? His upside IMO would be higher than jimmy smiths. He has as much potential as anyone in this draft, the only reason he's here so late is obviously hes but as developed as others and thus is floor is a lot lower, but I could see in five years time in a draft re do, the chiefs picking him at one.

I feel that strongly about him. I don't normally fall in love with prospects, I have my guys I'd want but armstead has took me to somewhere I haven't been before with a prospect lol
    Don't ask me, ask Ozzie. Again, it's not that I'd be disappointed with Armstead, but not as a #1. I do not see the Ravens drafting him before the 4th round. That is only my feeble opinion... Bc

All this talk about trading up or spending a high choice on a Tackle with "potential" -- am I the only one who remembers some guy named Jah Reid? Traded up to get him. Supposedly pissed off some other teams who really wanted him (New Orleans?). Sometime I think it's better to take a solid big-program guy and then "coach him up" in a quality NFL environment.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Every team looks at small schools. It's not like the Ravens are doing something different than others.
    Yes but as one of the few teams with it's own scouting department I think it's fair to say we invest more time and resources into this. I read somewhere recently that we even added to the scouting department recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    At least Troy is 1-A football (lower level 1-A but still..) and played BCS teams frequently.
    Arkansas-Pine Bluff is the same as Richmond, Eastern Washington, Furman, Hampton. All of those schools have multiple guys currently in the NFL. The small school thing isn't a secret. Richmond has as many players in the NFL as Minnesota, for example.