Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Who do the Ravens Re-Sign before Free Agency?

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I think people may be underestimating the market for McKinnie. What did Jarred Gaither sign for last year? That guy has been an enigma his whole career. McKinnie while usually not playing up to his potential and being a bit aloof, has certainly outplayed Gaither. Starting LT's in this league get paid. Especially one's from a Superbowl winning team that end up FA's.
    4/24.6 for a 25 year old talented but injury prone LT. McKinnie's age is the bigger factor not his play. When healthy Id say Gaither is actually better, but McKinnie plays more often if only to part of his potential. For a guy that obviously doesnt take care of himself as well as he should, youll see the side effects of his work ethic at the end of his career. one of the reasons im not sure the Ravens will be as heavily after him as most seem to think. Im not doubting some team will pay him, i just dont think itll be the Ravens to match it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Werewolf View Post
    Would love to get BMac back if the price is right and if his mindset/motivation is still where it was during this post-season.
    His motivation was not to win a Superbowl. His motivation was to get another contract, a big one. His interviews are very telling of a guy thats only about the money.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    4/24.6 for a 25 year old talented but injury prone LT. McKinnie's age is the bigger factor not his play. When healthy Id say Gaither is actually better, but McKinnie plays more often if only to part of his potential. For a guy that obviously doesnt take care of himself as well as he should, youll see the side effects of his work ethic at the end of his career. one of the reasons im not sure the Ravens will be as heavily after him as most seem to think. Im not doubting some team will pay him, i just dont think itll be the Ravens to match it.

His motivation was not to win a Superbowl. His motivation was to get another contract, a big one. His interviews are very telling of a guy thats only about the money.
    If the price is right, McKinnie is the better option then nearly everything else we could possibly have next season, unless the Ravens get bold and sign a Jake Long in FA, or trade up a bunch to get a Lane Johnson, neither is going to happen.

There are other guys like Sam Baker, Jerome Bushrod, Sebastian Vollmer, etc, but even those guys may cost more than Ozzie is willing to pay.

Blog Entries

I don't see McKinnie back here. I think the Ravens FO will be reluctant to give him any kind of multi year deal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    If the price is right, McKinnie is the better option then nearly everything else we could possibly have next season, unless the Ravens get bold and sign a Jake Long in FA, or trade up a bunch to get a Lane Johnson, neither is going to happen.

There are other guys like Sam Baker, Jerome Bushrod, Sebastian Vollmer, etc, but even those guys may cost more than Ozzie is willing to pay.
    Im not disagreeing with that. Hes a cheap option theoretically, but the Ravens will not overpay for him. I dont think hes going to have a huge market because hes 34. I dont think the Ravens will want to invest much into him, because ideally hes a stop gap and likely to considerably fall off talent wise and/or health wise. Some other team is likely to offer more than the Ravens whether thats overall or years/guaranteed. I dont see him being with us next year. Albert and beatty not being on the market has more to with that than anything. the more that sign before FA, the higher McKinnies value goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I don't see McKinnie back here. I think the Ravens FO will be reluctant to give him any kind of multi year deal.
    which is where i think we wont match. some team will gamble and give him a multi year deal simply to "win" him. I just dont see us matching and eating dead money when well likely draft his replacement this year.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Im not disagreeing with that. Hes a cheap option theoretically, but the Ravens will not overpay for him. I dont think hes going to have a huge market because hes 34. I dont think the Ravens will want to invest much into him, because ideally hes a stop gap and likely to considerably fall off talent wise and/or health wise. Some other team is likely to offer more than the Ravens whether thats overall or years/guaranteed. I dont see him being with us next year. Albert and beatty not being on the market has more to with that than anything. the more that sign before FA, the higher McKinnies value goes.
    Yeah true, can't disagree with this.

Blog Entries

It would not surprise me at all if none of them were signed back. As JAB has mentioned, we've long knew that Cary Williams would be leaving. Although I do not think the best of him as a player, his play down the stretch improved and, likely, enough for someone to pay him more than 3/15. If Brandon Carr, the second best CB for the Chiefs, can get 50 mil on the open market, I think Cary can get more than 3/15. Even Cary Williams has admitted that he is not a priority and likely gone.

Paul Kruger is another player that is gone.

In all honesty, if I were an UDFA with no youthful ties to Baltimore, I would test the market too. So, it would not surprise me if Ellerbe did the same. JAB is right that the ILBs seemed to linger out there for a while last year. The other issue about Dannell Ellerbe is health. All of the other major players that the Ravens have re-signed, have had quality track records when it came to not missing games. Ellerbe has never started a full 16 game season. That would concern me. Which is why I think Ozzie will be dead set on his number. There will be ILBs of his like, to be had in the draft, along with less expensive veterans on the open market.

The key, at this point, would be to find yourself a darn good NT. That way, you LBs are kept clean and Ngata can stay at NG where he can better utilize his pass rushing skills. So, I could see a situation where Ellerbe goes, but Casey Hampton arrives, along with two ILBs in the draft.

I think 3-4 million is where Ozzie tops out for Reed and I think Reed will test the market. If other teams agree that Reed still covers up for a lot on the back end, I could see a team offering him enough for him to sign elsewhere.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I think Reed's comments on NFL AM yesterday foreshadowed him eventually leaving.

1. He said if he went to New England, he'd win not one, but TWO SBs
    2. When asked if the Ravens should pay him for his past performance or future performance, he made it seem like there's no difference, because he's going to be playing at the best of his abilities for the next few years

The 1st one isn't anything groundbreaking (he's not dissing the Ravens, but saying he's that good of a player), but the 2nd one tells me he's not going to temper his contract demands, and he's going to expect an INCREASE in his pay.

EDIT - I suck at grammar
    Last edited by RavenScallywag; 03-05-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I think Reed's comments on NFL AM yesterday foreshadowed him eventually leaving.

1. He said if he went to New England, he'd win not one, but TWO SBs
    2. When asked if the Ravens should pay him for his past performance or future performance, he made it seem like there's no difference, because he's going to be playing at the best of his abilities for the next few years

The 1st one isn't anything groundbreaking (he's not dissing the Ravens, but saying he's that good of a player), but the 2nd one tells me he's not going to tamper his contract demands, and he's going to expect an INCREASE in his pay.
    I won't be sad if Reed leaves to be honest. I don't get emotionally attached to old veterans like some people do. I love what Reed did here, but all good things come to an end.

Blog Entries

They let Ray test the market. Let Reed do the same. But make no mistake, father time is undefeated. He is going to have to come to terms with that in terms of what he will be paid here. If some team wants to break the bank for him, bully for him.

Blog Entries

I made my peace with Reed leaving a long time ago. At this point the shocking thing would be if he actually comes back. I just don't see that happening.

Ed's is one of my favorite athletes...any sport, any era.
    I still don't want the team in cap jeopardy (by any stretch) to keep him here.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

I would think a restructure/extension for Q would be a priority. Any idea what kind of numbers or years he is looking for?