Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 715
  1. #121

    Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops



    Bushrod sucks...I have no idea why anyone wants him. I'd rather have McKinnie back.

    And I'd rather let Leach go than Jacoby.

    When you are paying your QB the money we are, there is no room in your offense for a FB making over $2 million in any season IMHO.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  2. #122
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Where Ravens Fans Roam Free
    Posts
    1,988

    Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Bushrod sucks...I have no idea why anyone wants him. I'd rather have McKinnie back.

    And I'd rather let Leach go than Jacoby.

    When you are paying your QB the money we are, there is no room in your offense for a FB making over $2 million in any season IMHO.
    Is there much of a market for Leach anyway? He is 31 years old and plays a position that is being phased out in the NFL. How many teams really utilize the FB that much anymore anyway? I think Leach likes it here, and wonder if he would take a pay cut to stay. I am not sure that anyone is going to be banging his door down with a big money offer.




  3. #123

    Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Why do people want a really old slow NT for? IMO we need more speed on the Dline. Would much prefer Jean Francois than Casey Hampton.
    Excel is the only one I've seen pounding the table for Hampton.




  4. #124

    Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

    They way I look at Hampton is the way I look at Cody. They're basically just large plugs meant to blow up the centre and disrupt run plays. However, I'm more interested in Jean Francois becuase he's a quicker guy who will make plays and not just be a disruption.

    However, I'm a huge advocate for Ngata at NT becuase he's large AND quick. I think he has more potential as a NT than 3-4 DE
    Formerly runrayrun27

    Twitter: @cjacks17





  5. #125

    Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    If Vollmer is decently cheap, I would make a run at him.

    Otherwise, sounds like Sam Baker or Jermon Bushrod are the next guys to look at.

    King Dunlap and BMac are basically our insurance options.
    Baker and Bushrod are basically Oher.... PASS

    MY FA targets are in order:
    Ellerbe
    Vollmer
    Knighton

    if we got all 3 all we would really need in the draft is a safety and an blockign TE/H-Back... pretty easy to fill those needs




  6. #126

    Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

    Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Excel is the only one I've seen pounding the table for Hampton.
    I'm not pounding the table for Hampton, but I definitely wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  7. #127

    Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Baker and Bushrod are basically Oher.... PASS

    MY FA targets are in order:
    Ellerbe
    Vollmer
    Knighton

    if we got all 3 all we would really need in the draft is a safety and an blockign TE/H-Back... pretty easy to fill those needs
    If we only could afford those three...
    "On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the Draft

    Settle down. John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco's Baltimore Ravens can beat any team, anywhere.

    Having fun talking football and tech stuff on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver




  8. #128

    Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

    Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    They way I look at Hampton is the way I look at Cody. They're basically just large plugs meant to blow up the centre and disrupt run plays. However, I'm more interested in Jean Francois becuase he's a quicker guy who will make plays and not just be a disruption.

    However, I'm a huge advocate for Ngata at NT becuase he's large AND quick. I think he has more potential as a NT than 3-4 DE
    I have also been advocating moving Ngata to NT for a while now. He's older now and all the lower body injuries have sapped some of his explosion off the line that made him such a penetrator when he was healthy in years past. But he still has immense strength to anchor against the double team and he's probably our most technically sound lineman.

    Move him to NT and get him down to about 50% of snaps instead of closer to 80% and he'll be a much more effective per-play player. The only issue there is that you would be asking Art Jones and Pernell McPhee to play a lot more snaps on either side of him. Are both of them ready to be full-time starting DEs, especially McPhee? Behind them you really only have DeAngelo Tyson, so we would need to pick up some depth at 5-tech. Ricky-Jean Francois would be great because he can split time with Ngata at NT and also back up at the 5-tech DE spot. Cody can also play 5-tech in a pinch.

    Here's what the DL depth chart would look like if we moved Ngata:

    DE/DT - Art Jones/DeAngelo Tyson
    NT - Ngata/Francois or draft pick/Cody
    DE - McPhee/Francois/draft pick




  9. #129

    Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Is there much of a market for Leach anyway? He is 31 years old and plays a position that is being phased out in the NFL. How many teams really utilize the FB that much anymore anyway? I think Leach likes it here, and wonder if he would take a pay cut to stay. I am not sure that anyone is going to be banging his door down with a big money offer.
    Well, sure if he takes a pay cut. But it would be a BIG pay cut. IMHO, paying your QB the money we are, a pro bowl FB who is in on only 42% of your snaps (and likely that percentage will be dropping as Joe imprints his vision in the offense) is a luxury that most cannot afford.

    $1.5 million per year max IMHO for a fullback.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  10. #130

    Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    $1.5 million per year max IMHO for a fullback.
    I say $1 million, even if he is the best in the business
    Formerly runrayrun27

    Twitter: @cjacks17





  11. #131
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,739

    Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

    Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    I say $1 million, even if he is the best in the business
    That's on;y 100k (or so) over the vet minimum. I understand the need for FB's is less and less but there is no way you get the best in the business even a punter or for that price.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  12. #132
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,125
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    That's on;y 100k (or so) over the vet minimum. I understand the need for FB's is less and less but there is no way you get the best in the business even a punter or for that price.
    Works for me. We don't need the best in the business FB anyways. Draft a good blocking TE.




  13. #133
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Where Ravens Fans Roam Free
    Posts
    1,988

    Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

    Both years the Ravens won the SB, they had a masher at FB. Sam Gash in 2000 and Leach this year. I don't know if it is just a coincidence, but I think Leach is a big part of the identity of the Ravens as a physical football team. I think he has value, but not at his current price. I don't know how much of a pay cut it would take to fit him under the cap, or what he would command on the open market at this point, but I think the Ravens should try to keep him.




  14. #134
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,332
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    It's fairly possible/probable that in a few years, Ngata is going to walk away from the game anyway. Would you say his best skill now is rushing the passer or stuffing the run? I'm "not-a" (get it...get it?...okay, bad one) knocking his skills, but he's definitely slowing down a bit.

    Personally, I'd still say he's more effective on the end anyway, just curious.
    It's harder for me to say what he is better at, at this stage in his career, than it would be for me to say that keeping him at NG could preserve his career, if they find a quality NT. If you put him back at NT, he's going to have to deal with that double team, no matter what, even if they find a suitable replacement at NG. That's the nature of the NT spot and how the Ravens want it played.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  15. #135

    Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    That's on;y 100k (or so) over the vet minimum. I understand the need for FB's is less and less but there is no way you get the best in the business even a punter or for that price.
    I would go over $1 million, but IMHO, trying to get the best FB in the business isn't necessary.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Both years the Ravens won the SB, they had a masher at FB. Sam Gash in 2000 and Leach this year. I don't know if it is just a coincidence, but I think Leach is a big part of the identity of the Ravens as a physical football team. I think he has value, but not at his current price. I don't know how much of a pay cut it would take to fit him under the cap, or what he would command on the open market at this point, but I think the Ravens should try to keep him.
    The indentity of this team is changing and changed over the course of last year.

    It changed for good when we basically committed to making this Joe Flacco's team.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland