Page 55 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5354555657 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Denver Post reports Ravens "negotiating" with Dumervil. Whatever that means.

Strong recommendation from current Ravens assistant Wink Martindale who coached Dumervil in his 17 sack season.

Heh... Wink.
    Child of the 80s? 70s?
    Our coach is Don :D
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

Does Dumervil play OLB or DE in the 3-4? I'd love to have him here, but in a way, he's kind've like another Suggs. Both 260 pounds, Suggs is about 4 inches taller.

If Suggs doesn't return to form, it'd be nice to have a replacement on roster if he does become a 2014 cap casualty. That said, if he's pretty expensive, I could understand not closing the deal right now.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Does Dumervil play OLB or DE in the 3-4? I'd love to have him here, but in a way, he's kind've like another Suggs. Both 260 pounds, Suggs is about 4 inches taller.

If Suggs doesn't return to form, it'd be nice to have a replacement on roster if he does become a 2014 cap casualty. That said, if he's pretty expensive, I could understand not closing the deal right now.
    No way could he play 3-4 DE. 3-4 DEs are usually built like 3 technique DTs.

He'd play OLB here, and when Denver ran the 3-4, he played really well in that scheme. In fact it was the season when Denver were running a 3-4 when he recorded 17 sacks.

OLB.

He is WAYYYYYY too small to be a DE in a 3-4.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Gotcha...

Again then...Does it makes sense to sign him when you have Suggs and Upshaw as your starters? He's just a year younger than Suggs, so it's not like Upshaw and Dumervil are our "OLBs of the future"...

Don't get me wrong, I'd love having his pass rush ability here, I just see this as another "luxury" when we need to fill so many other holes more.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Blog Entries

Gotcha...

Again then...Does it makes sense to sign him when you have Suggs and Upshaw as your starters? He's just a year younger than Suggs, so it's not like Upshaw and Dumervil are our "OLBs of the future"...

Don't get me wrong, I'd love having his pass rush ability here, I just see this as another "luxury" when we need to fill so many other holes more.
    You don't see nickel rusher as a hole? I think it's a really underrated role on this team. This defense is very multiple and needs all the pass rushers it can get, look at what Seattle has done, they now have four pretty good pass rushers on their team. This is where the game is heading right now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    You don't see nickel rusher as a hole? I think it's a really underrated role on this team. This defense is very multiple and needs all the pass rushers it can get, look at what Seattle has done, they now have four pretty good pass rushers on their team. This is where the game is heading right now.
    Is it worth 5-7 mil per year though? Not sure what Dumervil is getting on the open market, but I assume you wouldn't pay him Kruger money...

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    The game is moving away from thumpers and more to coverage at S, Pollard was below average in coverage and Huff would be an upgrade. The thumping Safety with the defenseless WR rule is going the way of the drop kick. Expect to see more CB's to moved to S with the rule changes added to the fact that RB's can't lower their helmets to hit once past the LOS. Safety is a changing position and Pollard doesn't fit it anymore, slow in coverage and oft penalized. Ozzie realizes this.
    I get this and don't disagree with anything you said.

Let me play devil's advocate though:

Point A: While the league is moving away from the thumping Safety (a hypothesis that seems to carry some validity), does that mean that Pollard still is no longer the caliber of player who can start for a top 10 defense? His 2011 play seems to indicate the contrary. When the players around him in 2011 were healthy and performing at a good level, Pollard's play was evaluated favorably. In 2012, when the Raven defense became a MASH unit and the pass rush was floundering without Sizzle, Pollard was never viewed as a culprit. A lot of people viewed him far more as the backbone to our success than a culprit to our struggles (like Cody, for instance, was). Yet, as you could see in the moments when our defensive depth chart became thinner, that Pollard was more of a "glue" type player than one who could succeed wholly on his own. Nobody viewed him as a star before, but 2012 showed us even more intensively that Pollard was a role player. He was a very capable role player, but not the type of player you can put out there on an island and expect great results. If Michael Huff was placed in a similar position of evaluation, I can't imagine that the results would be any better. He is nothing more than a role player, who happens to be better in pass coverage and weaker in run support. I just don't see how the Ravens would rid themselves of Pollard, at the detriment of the 2013 and 2014 cap, only to bring in Huff. If you are going to pay a premium to rid yourselves of Pollard's liabilities, why would you then go and spend even more money to bring in another non-descript veteran in Huff? Huff is much like Pollard in terms of overall diversity of talent. He's not going to lose to many games or win you too many. If the Ravens are going to pay $3 million this year for that type of player, they might as well have kept Pollard. The upgrade in pass coverage from Huff's sound, but not dominant ability to Pollard's below average ability is offset by what we'd miss with Pollard's hitting.

If the 2013 Raven defense is one where the desired outcome is to get younger, faster, and cheaper, Huff only semi-fits in the faster category. He's not a difference maker. Put him in the 2011 version of the Ravens defense and he likely looks solid much like Pollard. Put him in the 2013 lean-heavier-on-rookies type defense that we expect and what's to justify having him there at all? We'd be better off rolling the dice on a rookie (or two rookies as starters) than paying 4xs as much to a player who has such a low ceiling at this stage of his career.

Point B: Pollard's play was evaluated so favorably, in fact, that the Ravens gave him an extension after just one year. That breaks from the Raven M.O. in a lot of ways. Graham and Jacoby each came on a two year deal. To date, neither has been given any form extension, even though you would think their brilliant play down the stretch might make them more deserving that Pollard was the previous offseason. Up until the day of his release, I can think of just one guy on this board who even hinted at the notion of Pollard being a potential cap cut and his notion was summarily dismissed by everyone here (including me). In my humble opinion, and I'm a guilty party, once we learned that Pollard was a goner, we rationalized it by emphasizing his flaws in coverage, while ignoring his unique talent as a thumper.

#3- I'm not convinced that the Steve Atwater/Chuck Cecil/Bernard Pollard/Rodney Harrison/Jack Tatum lights out type of Safety will ever become extinct. I think that is something we are telling ourselves right now to make the pain/panic from the Pollard release more defensible. Certain coaching staffs will always see value in that type of player, even at the expense of penalties and suspensions.

Blog Entries

Is it worth 5-7 mil per year though? Not sure what Dumervil is getting on the open market, but I assume you wouldn't pay him Kruger money...
    I wouldn't pay him Kruger money, but it depends on what the Ravens see him as.

Paul Kruger got grossly over paid for what he is as we all know though.

I wouldn't pay him Kruger money, but it depends on what the Ravens see him as.

Paul Kruger got grossly over paid for what he is as we all know though.
    I thought the Browns overpaid for Kruger, but I thought it was a minor gaffe in judgment compared to what Miami gave Ellerbe. I asked it on the other thread. Is $13 mill over 2 years too high or not enough to get his services? What's your opinion there?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I thought the Browns overpaid for Kruger, but I thought it was a minor gaffe in judgment compared to what Miami gave Ellerbe. I asked it on the other thread. Is $13 mill over 2 years too high or not enough to get his services? What's your opinion there?
    $6.5M is fine for me, but I'm not Ozzie.

And yeah, the Ellerbe deal is stupidly over paid. $7M a year for a a guy who only just emerged and had several injury issues last year? wow.

$6.5M is fine for me, but I'm not Ozzie.

And yeah, the Ellerbe deal is stupidly over paid. $7M a year for a a guy who only just emerged and had several injury issues last year? wow.
    Plus, he turns 28 in November, which is a bit old for a player entering his 5th season. This isn't a sour grapes justification of why he was expendable from a Raven fan. This is the opinion I've seen from every piece of analysis out there. I'm not sure there was a move that was rated as worse so far this offseason than what Miami gave Ellerbe.