Page 49 of 60 FirstFirst ... 4748495051 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens to work out Tavon Austin in a few weeks

Personally, even though it would be a solid pick up, I would rather us go for guys like Harrison or Vollmer. If we can't get Vollmer then resign Mckinnie. I just see keeping Osemele and Oher where they are now at LG and RT as crucial to the offense's success.

Also the draft is loaded with WRs so we would be able to pick a guy up that's solid and with more potential than Lloyd.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Brandon Lloyd had close to the same production as Boldin because the Patriots threw the ball over 100 times more than the Ravens did. Brandon Lloyd had 18% of the Pats' receiving yards last year. Boldin had 24%. If Flacco threw the ball 637 times like Tom Brady did, Boldin would have had over 1100 yards, and Lloyd was never anywhere near as dominant as Boldin was down the stretch in the playoffs.

Poor ol' bipolar Brandon isn't half the player Boldin is, and the Ravens wanted to pay Anquan $4m this year, so no, I would not pay Lloyd $2m. I'd pay him the veteran minimum and not a penny more. If we're going to go the free agent route for a WR I'd rather take a flyer on DHB or wait a while to see who else is going to get cut. Davone Bess for example out of Miami might be cut now that they just signed Brandon Gibson, and he'd be a good slot receiver for us.
    IDK where you're getting that from, Boldin was targeted 108 times last year, Lloyd was targeted 129 times, so not even close to "100 times more" at all.

And this is coming from someone who claimed that Boldin wouldn't even make the GB roster. ;)

When in the world is any of the FA tackles going to sign. I'm guessing all next week, the story will be all about the tackles.
    And no to Lloyd, we got some young blood to try out. Does this mean, the pats are going for Saunders ?

Boldin was due $6m. Bring in Lloyd for $2m-$3m and I'd be a happy man.

I guess I'm already pretty confused, so that means this signing will probably happen.
    Confused too. Over the years I've had practically no success predicting what moves Ozzie makes. This year is shaking my near zero confidence. Who's confident they know what happens next? I can't recall reading a single post predicting we would get Canty or Spears; trade Boldin or cut Pollard.

I'd say negatory on Lloyd.

Piss poor 57% catch rate.
    YPC for the last four years: 18.8, 14.9, 13.4 and 12.3.
    Aged.

David Reed is entering his 4th year.
    Doss is entering his 3rd year.
    Let's see what the hell these two are about.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmore finest View Post
    When in the world is any of the FA tackles going to sign. I'm guessing all next week, the story will be all about the tackles.
    And no to Lloyd, we got some young blood to try out. Does this mean, the pats are going for Saunders ?
    Idk, but its good for us because its clearly driving their prices down. This years crop of OTs seem to be going the same direction as last years ILBs. I also can't believe how much Jermon Bushrod got paid lol, he's been signed before Jake Long.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    IDK where you're getting that from, Boldin was targeted 108 times last year, Lloyd was targeted 129 times, so not even close to "100 times more" at all.

And this is coming from someone who claimed that Boldin wouldn't even make the GB roster. ;)
    I owned up to how dumb of a statement that was and it has nothing to do with Brandon Lloyd. The Patriots were a pass-first offense last year that threw the ball 637 times. The Ravens threw it 531 times. The target numbers also support my point that Boldin would have been much more productive than Lloyd with more targets, especially targets on the quick screen type passes the Patriots tend to run way more of than the Ravens. So again Lloyd couldn't hold a candle to Boldin last year and he won't this year either.

Again, if the Ravens want to go dumpster diving in free agency I think they'd do better to take a chance on a younger, higher-upside guy. They could probably trade for Davone Bess for a very low pick like a 5th or 6th, he's expendable in Miami as the #4 WR at a 2.6m cap number, or just wait for him to get cut.

Another guy the Ravens would do better to take a chance on is Austin Collie. He claims to be fully healthy, and there's not much harm in giving him a shot on a veteran minimum type deal. Maybe he'd want to play for Caldwell again, and if he gets hurt again you just put him on IR and move on, but if he works out you're getting basically a younger, slightly less physical but more explosive Boldin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I'd say negatory on Lloyd.

Piss poor 57% catch rate.
    YPC for the last four years: 18.8, 14.9, 13.4 and 12.3.
    Aged.

David Reed is entering his 4th year.
    Doss is entering his 3rd year.
    Let's see what the hell these two are about.
    Torrey Smith had a 47.1 catch rate last year, while Boldin had a 60.2 catch rate. There is no question Boldin is a better player than Lloyd, but if we can have Lloyd here at around 2M, it's a bargain IMO.

10. Re: Ravens to work out Tavon Austin in a few weeks

Aaron Wilson reporting Elvis Dumervil firmly on Ravens radar

Blog Entries

I owned up to how dumb of a statement that was and it has nothing to do with Brandon Lloyd. The Patriots were a pass-first offense last year that threw the ball 637 times. The Ravens threw it 531 times. The target numbers also support my point that Boldin would have been much more productive than Lloyd with more targets, especially targets on the quick screen type passes the Patriots tend to run way more of than the Ravens. So again Lloyd couldn't hold a candle to Boldin last year and he won't this year either.

Again, if the Ravens want to go dumpster diving in free agency I think they'd do better to take a chance on a younger, higher-upside guy. They could probably trade for Davone Bess for a very low pick like a 5th or 6th, he's expendable in Miami as the #4 WR at a 2.6m cap number, or just wait for him to get cut.

Another guy the Ravens would do better to take a chance on is Austin Collie. He claims to be fully healthy, and there's not much harm in giving him a shot on a veteran minimum type deal. Maybe he'd want to play for Caldwell again, and if he gets hurt again you just put him on IR and move on, but if he works out you're getting basically a younger, slightly less physical but more explosive Boldin.
    You said Lloyd had the ball thrown to him 100 times more than Boldin, I was just pointing out how far from the truth that is.

Well I'd rather take DHB because he'd be a perfect type of player for Flacco, but it appears that we aren't very interested which surprises me because of his local ties here, we seem to go for guys like that a lot.

Also despite the national perception, it was BOLDIN who benefited from Flacco not the other way around. Boldin never gets open, and no other QB would pull the trigger on half those throws Flacco made to Boldin. Lloyd can get separation much more easier than Boldin can, and would give Flacco a lot of easier throws to make, its just, he wouldn't be able to make those spectacular catches that Boldin can make in traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lime in the Coconut View Post
    Aaron Wilson reporting Elvis Dumervil firmly on Ravens radar
    not sure how we can afford another BIG contract...