Page 17 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1516171819 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    What's interesting is that there are now 4 big name right tackles in free agency in Vollmer, Winston, Loadholt and Andre Smith. Will any be able to convince teams that they are really left tackles and should be paid for that position? I heard that was the issue with Vollmer and Smith and their existing teams.
    I wonder about Andre Smith's ability to move back to LT. If not for Witworth, I think he may have by now. He seems to have his weight issues under control and he has the size and length. I could see him playing effectively at LT the way Gaither and McKinnie did just based on having decent feet for that size.

Raiders expected to cut Rolondo McClain. I like his potential still. He had 99 tackles and 5 sacks as a rookie.

:T2:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I wonder about Andre Smith's ability to move back to LT. If not for Witworth, I think he may have by now. He seems to have his weight issues under control and he has the size and length. I could see him playing effectively at LT the way Gaither and McKinnie did just based on having decent feet for that size.

Raiders expected to cut Rolondo McClain. I like his potential still. He had 99 tackles and 5 sacks as a rookie.
    Andre Smith might have been the best RT in the league last season. Was that because it was a contract year? He absolutely has a ton of talent. He and Oher were my favorite players in the draft that year. I had seen a lot of both of them in college and thought they would be tremendous pros. It hasn't really worked out that way. Oher seems to have great motivation and limited talent while Smith seems to have great talent but limited motivation. It's frustrating to watch.

Blog Entries

Solder played RT his rookie season when Light was on the team. Vollmer was demoted to swing tackle that season and only started when Light or Solder weren't able to play.

I like Vollmer a lot as a Right Tackle. I just have a hard time thinking he's the answer at LT when the Patriots clearly don't
    I dont necessarily think he is an answer either. I like Vollmer, but I think folks on here are just desperate for another option besides Oher.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Solder played RT his rookie season when Light was on the team. Vollmer was demoted to swing tackle that season and only started when Light or Solder weren't able to play.

I like Vollmer a lot as a Right Tackle. I just have a hard time thinking he's the answer at LT when the Patriots clearly don't
    This is incorrect. Vollmer wasn't "demoted," he was just injured for most of 2011. He was only healthy for 6 games and started 5 of them. He has some pretty serious and recurring back issues, but he's played at a Pro Bowl level when he's been healthy.

I'm also not going to put a ton of stock in the Patriots' personnel decisions. This is a team that demoted Wes Welker for most of the first half of last year behind Julian Edelman--strictly to send a message to him that they could win without him.

Watching his play on the field, Vollmer undoubtedly has the technical ability to play LT. He's much older than your typical FA coming off of his rookie deal, though; 29 in October, and he's had a history of back issues. I would only "buy" on him if the price is VERY right.

Blog Entries

I still like the idea of drafting either Watson or Armstead and red-shirting them for a year behind McKinnie. That is, assuming the Ravens can re-sign McKinnie, of which I am skeptical.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    This is incorrect. Vollmer wasn't "demoted," he was just injured for most of 2011. He was only healthy for 6 games and started 5 of them. He has some pretty serious and recurring back issues, but he's played at a Pro Bowl level when he's been healthy.

I'm also not going to put a ton of stock in the Patriots' personnel decisions. This is a team that demoted Wes Welker for most of the first half of last year behind Julian Edelman--strictly to send a message to him that they could win without him.

Watching his play on the field, Vollmer undoubtedly has the technical ability to play LT. He's much older than your typical FA coming off of his rookie deal, though; 29 in October, and he's had a history of back issues. I would only "buy" on him if the price is VERY right.
    So what's the right price?

Blog Entries

I'd value him at around 5-6 a year because of his back issues, but he'll likely get 8-9 a year and looked upon as a LT. So many teams need a LT right now, Arizona could easily over spend for him. He has talent, and there is no question of that IMO. He has shown that he can play LT to a good level, and is arguably the best RT in the game right now.

Well, it's hard to speculate right now until FA starts and some deals get signed so we have a sense for what the market looks like both generally and for his position specifically. ESPN's Mike Reiss speculates that the Pats will offer him top RT money (which would be average to above-average LT money), about $6-7m per year and Vollmer may not be happy with that offer.

6m/year is pretty rich for a guy who's not a proven LT, not young, and rarely healthy. I would not pay that if I were Ozzie. This is why I also think that McKinnie won't be back. He signed for 3.75m/year prior to 2011 after getting released under VERY unfavorable conditions by the Vikings, and is just coming off of blocking for the Super Bowl MVP. With all the teams needing quality LTs, and being the only LT on the FA market without injury questions (Jake Long, Sam Baker, and Vollmer all have questionable injury histories) he's going to be due for a raise. My best guess without the help of context for McKinnie's contract is that he will also be around the 6-7m mark.

I just don't see the FO locking up Ellerbe AND spending fairly big coin on an OT with question marks. If they go the FA route they're going to go cheap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    Getting a second rounder for a player [Pitta] we got in the fourth, and will be 28 come the season start. I don't see a problem with it, there's always risk attached to change, but if someone gives him an offer sheet I don't see a problem taking a second rounder. It's not like he is an elite player at the position.
    Man, I think you're underestimating Pitta's value. He, along with Boldin, have become Joe's go-to guys. Our newly signed ($120 mil. QB) has confidence and chemistry with Pitta, and they are personal friends too. DP had 7 TDs in the regular season, and added another 4 (including one in the Super Bowl) in the post-season. This Ravens team is poised to continue winning now, so IMO I wouldn't take a 2nd round pick for Pitta...I feel we'd be the loser there. BTW, both Flacco and Pitta are 28 this year, why do you see a problem with that?... Bc

Pitta is worth more to us than anyone else. His success has a LOT to do with his rapport with Flacco. Sorry, he's not a top 10 TE, and I don't see how any other team wouldvalue him with a contract we can't match over Ertz/Eiffert/Escobar.

2nd rd tender is safe, IMO.

Blog Entries

Takeo Spikes has been released by the San Diego Chargers, per PFT.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Takeo Spikes has been released by the San Diego Chargers, per PFT.
    That dude is old as hell. No thanks.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.