Page 16 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1415161718 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    Getting a second rounder for a player we got in the fourth, and will be 28 come the season start. I don't see a problem with it, there's always risk attached to change, but if someone gives him an offer sheet I don't see a problem taking a second rounder. It's not like he is an elite player at the position.
    On the surface I agree with you. Getting back a second plus the production Pitta has already given the Ravens makes his pick a highly successful one overall

That said given the choice between another 2nd round pick and Pitta ...I would lean towards keeping him. Pitta may not be an elite TE but he is highly proficient IMO and has developed pretty decent chemistry with Joe. I tend to fall in the "if ain't broke don't fix it camp"
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    On the surface I agree with you. Getting back a second plus the production Pitta has already given the Ravens makes his pick a highly successful one overall

That said given the choice between another 2nd round pick and Pitta ...I would lean towards keeping him. Pitta may not be an elite TE but he is highly proficient IMO and has developed pretty decent chemistry with Joe. I tend to fall in the "if ain't broke don't fix it camp"
    I agree. But you have to factor in actual value for him, and given our cap situation and what needs to get done... The team just has to be more pragmatic with this.

I think it's a moot point anyway, I really doubt anyone would give up a second rounder for him, given that they could just as easily go after players like Ertz or Escobar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Chiefs release Eric Winston. Can he play LT?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-eric-winston/
    Nope. RT only.

He could have come here last year and decided he'd rather lose. He got his contract. After last year though good luck getting another that size

Blog Entries

What's interesting is that there are now 4 big name right tackles in free agency in Vollmer, Winston, Loadholt and Andre Smith. Will any be able to convince teams that they are really left tackles and should be paid for that position? I heard that was the issue with Vollmer and Smith and their existing teams.

Blog Entries

Vollmer played 5 games at LT in 2009 and played really well, I think he's going to be signed as a LT and will get paid like one. I don't think he'll be a Patriot next year, the Pats wont be willing to pay someone LT money to play RT, unless they switched Solder to RT.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Vollmer played 5 games at LT in 2009 and played really well, I think he's going to be signed as a LT and will get paid like one. I don't think he'll be a Patriot next year, the Pats wont be willing to pay someone LT money to play RT, unless they switched Solder to RT.
    That's been the hold up from what I've heard. Vollmer wants LT money. The Pats think that Solder is the better LT. They didn't even give Vollmer a shot at the job when Light retired. That doesn't show much confidence in Vollmer's ability to be a good LT

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's been the hold up from what I've heard. Vollmer wants LT money. The Pats think that Solder is the better LT. They didn't even give Vollmer a shot at the job when Light retired. That doesn't show much confidence in Vollmer's ability to be a good LT
    And/or they were looking at their future spend very closely.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries
    Or they spent a first on Solder, who is signed and already pretty good. Why mess with that?

Esp because they can now go sign Winston, Andre Smith, or Loadholt.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Vollmer has had back problems, and for an OL those are a really big concern. Doesn't appear to be very durable either.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Or they spent a first on Solder, who is signed and already pretty good. Why mess with that?

Esp because they can now go sign Winston, Andre Smith, or Loadholt.

I don't think any of those guys are going to be cheaper than Vollmer. They decided to draft Solder after seeing Vollmer play LT for 9 games. That again tells me that they don't see Vollmer as a LT. I'm not sure any other team should either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post

I don't think any of those guys are going to be cheaper than Vollmer. They decided to draft Solder after seeing Vollmer play LT for 9 games. That again tells me that they don't see Vollmer as a LT. I'm not sure any other team should either.
    Maybe, but I remember some reports saying Solder could be a RT as well.

We dont know, but the Patriots could very well have just taken the bpa and let the chips fall where they may.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Maybe, but I remember some reports saying Solder could be a RT as well.

We dont know, but the Patriots could very well have just taken the bpa and let the chips fall where they may.

Solder played RT his rookie season when Light was on the team. Vollmer was demoted to swing tackle that season and only started when Light or Solder weren't able to play.

I like Vollmer a lot as a Right Tackle. I just have a hard time thinking he's the answer at LT when the Patriots clearly don't