Page 19 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1718192021 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens Free Agent Possible Add / Drops

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Kind of reminds me about the defensive prospects coming out of Alabama. Sure there are some real quality players that have been great in the NFL, but a lot of them are over hyped and end up being just average in the NFL.
    The difference with Bama though is all of the players are top recruits that every program wanted in the first place. Ellerbe and Williams were on the street 5 years ago. Kruger was not an early 2nd round pick and he did not play much early. Those Bama guys who are 1st round picks do highly benifit from the surrounding talent advantage, but they were freaks as freshman themselves. I think the bust rate on the recent bama prospects has been right there probably even comfortably above average.

:T2:

Blog Entries

I'm not saying Bama are producing busts, there are solid players everywhere in the NFL from Bama, but there are also some players that have massively under achieved from their draft status like Terrence Cody, Rolando McClain, James Carpenter, Mark Ingram etc.

The players leaving the Ravens are not what I'd call massive fails either, they still produce at a moderate level, they just aren't the same players as they were in Baltimore, that's how I see the similarities. Dawan Landry, Jarrett Johnson, Bart Scott, etc are what those Bama players have become in the league. There are still some good players that leave and are still good like Ben Grubbs.

And top recruits from high school has little to do with the NFL, you can't compare the two, because its not like any team in the NFL has like 7 first round picks every year, Alabama get access to some of the best players leaving high school, its not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Takeo Spikes has been released by the San Diego Chargers, per PFT.
    Dude Where's My Car?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Is it performance related? I thought Landry was playing pretty well down there.
    So did I. If you need a run stuffing Safety then Landry is your man. I guess it's tough to pay that much money for a guy with skill set

I agree with Leach in his Banana/BAL defense comparison. Though I hope and believe Upshaw will actually achieve greatness.

Mark my words, just like Dawan today, within the next two offseasons, Kruger, Cary and Ellerbe will be cap casualties because of the overbloated deals they'll sign.

Amongst the 2013 draft picks, Nigel Carr, Hamilton, Byned, Webb, Upshaw, etc., watch our defense improve.

Why? Because Kruger, Ellerbe and Cary were amongst the unknowns who replaced "key guys" in years past.

Blog Entries

Just saw that Chris Gamble was cut. If he's healed up that would be someone that interests me. Though with Webb, Graham and Jimmy Smith I'm not sure they are in the market for a DB

Blog Entries

ESPN's Ed Werder reported on SportsCenter that the Browns and Colts will aggressively pursue OLB Paul Kruger in free agency.
    Per Werder, Cleveland is "definitely gonna go after" Kruger and will face "intense competition" from Indianapolis, which reportedly envisions Kruger as Dwight Freeney's replacement opposite Robert Mathis. Werder expects Kruger to be signed quickly after Tuesday's free-agent signing period opens. Kruger, 27, led the Super Bowl Ravens in 2012 sacks. We anticipate he'll command a contract worth in the $12 million range annually; perhaps $60 million over five years.

Wow that is insane. 60mil/5 years for Kruger.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I'm not saying Bama are producing busts, there are solid players everywhere in the NFL from Bama, but there are also some players that have massively under achieved from their draft status like Terrence Cody, Rolando McClain, James Carpenter, Mark Ingram etc.

The players leaving the Ravens are not what I'd call massive fails either, they still produce at a moderate level, they just aren't the same players as they were in Baltimore, that's how I see the similarities. Dawan Landry, Jarrett Johnson, Bart Scott, etc are what those Bama players have become in the league. There are still some good players that leave and are still good like Ben Grubbs.

And top recruits from high school has little to do with the NFL, you can't compare the two, because its not like any team in the NFL has like 7 first round picks every year, Alabama get access to some of the best players leaving high school, its not the same.
    I think it comes down to the fact that the Ravens have always had several elite defenders that elevate the game of the guys around them.

Dawan Landry was a pretty good safety, but the fact that Ed Reed consistently locked down half of the field made him look that much better. He didn't have to worry about covering for someone else or being "the guy" in the backfield. Jarrett Johnson, as good as he was here, knew that Suggs was going to be the guy bringing most of the heat from the right side. He could focus on doing his job, which was stopping the run. Bart Scott knew that he had to focus on taking on the trash so that Ray could make a play.

They went from having a "do your job" mentality to a "lead the way" mentality, and they just weren't those kinds of guys. Alabama is the same way. They have a few genuine stars and a solid, pro-style system that asks most of the guys to focus on doing their jobs, which frees up the real beasts to really drive the team to victory. The problem becomes differentiating the "elite" from the merely "solid," when EVERYONE is producing at a high level.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    ESPN's Ed Werder reported on SportsCenter that the Browns and Colts will aggressively pursue OLB Paul Kruger in free agency.
    Per Werder, Cleveland is "definitely gonna go after" Kruger and will face "intense competition" from Indianapolis, which reportedly envisions Kruger as Dwight Freeney's replacement opposite Robert Mathis. Werder expects Kruger to be signed quickly after Tuesday's free-agent signing period opens. Kruger, 27, led the Super Bowl Ravens in 2012 sacks. We anticipate he'll command a contract worth in the $12 million range annually; perhaps $60 million over five years.

Wow that is insane. 60mil/5 years for Kruger.

Like Joe, Kruger has perfect timing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I think it comes down to the fact that the Ravens have always had several elite defenders that elevate the game of the guys around them.

Dawan Landry was a pretty good safety, but the fact that Ed Reed consistently locked down half of the field made him look that much better. He didn't have to worry about covering for someone else or being "the guy" in the backfield. Jarrett Johnson, as good as he was here, knew that Suggs was going to be the guy bringing most of the heat from the right side. He could focus on doing his job, which was stopping the run. Bart Scott knew that he had to focus on taking on the trash so that Ray could make a play.

They went from having a "do your job" mentality to a "lead the way" mentality, and they just weren't those kinds of guys. Alabama is the same way. They have a few genuine stars and a solid, pro-style system that asks most of the guys to focus on doing their jobs, which frees up the real beasts to really drive the team to victory. The problem becomes differentiating the "elite" from the merely "solid," when EVERYONE is producing at a high level.
    :word

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    I agree with Leach in his Banana/BAL defense comparison. Though I hope and believe Upshaw will actually achieve greatness.

Mark my words, just like Dawan today, within the next two offseasons, Kruger, Cary and Ellerbe will be cap casualties because of the overbloated deals they'll sign.

Amongst the 2013 draft picks, Nigel Carr, Hamilton, Byned, Webb, Upshaw, etc., watch our defense improve.

Why? Because Kruger, Ellerbe and Cary were amongst the unknowns who replaced "key guys" in years past.
    I think Ellerbe will remain a Raven, but yeah, I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Just saw that Chris Gamble was cut. If he's healed up that would be someone that interests me. Though with Webb, Graham and Jimmy Smith I'm not sure they are in the market for a DB
    The FO really likes Chykie Brown and Asa Jackson, too.