Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3132333435 ... LastLast

Re: All Things Draft:

There are a lot of teams that are likely looking to add linebackers...
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Here is something to think about. We may feel that Kevin Reddick is a good fit for Ellerbe's spot. However, let's not forget that Ellerbe, McClain AND Bynes were all Undrafted Free Agents. It's possible that the Ravens do not value the thumper position enough to use a mid-high pick on the spot.

Now, that could have been, because Ray was playing the other spot. If that was the case, the philosophy is probably going to change.

Then again, it might be that unless there's a banger in this draft whose game is like Bart Scott and Dannell Ellerbe rolled into one, they aren't wasting a pick on him.
    I don't think the Ravens have ever had a "strategy" of not drafting ILBs because they think they can get good enough talent in UDFAs. I think that puts the cart before the horse. First of all, they had Ray Lewis, as you said, and that locked down one ILB spot permanently and lessened the importance of the other spot. But even so, in 2008 with both Ray and Bart entering FA the next year they drafted Tavares Gooden in the 3rd to replace one of them. They had a need, and they filled it with a talented player. In 2009 they added Jason Phillips in the 5th as depth.

The reality, as we know, is that both McClain and Ellerbe emerged as viable options next to Ray, and Gooden and Phillips both did not. But don't make the mistake of thinking that there was a "plan" for McClain and Ellerbe to emerge and that the Ravens passed up on good ILB prospects for that reason. I think the plan for that position is the same as it always has been: add to the position if a superior talent falls to your pick in the draft.

Also, specifically regarding what sort of player they're going to look to add at ILB, they don't need a thumper. Josh Bynes showed a lot of athleticism and toughness against the run when he played this past year. McClellan also has the size and physicality to take on blockers and win up the middle. McClain is very average in all facets of the game but was at his best as a run-stopping thumper in 2011 when he played well.

They don't need a thumper, they need an instinctive, flow-to-the-ball, in-space, coverage linebacker. That's not what Kevin Reddick is... he's a mediocre between-the-tackles thumper who lacks football smarts, instincts, and leadership ability. He's not a draftable prospect IMO, not a player I like at all. My PREFERRED players at the position are 1) Ogletree 2) Greene 3) Brown 4) Moore 5) Alonso 6) Bostic 7) Pough

My best "values" are Greene/Brown in the 2nd, Moore/Alonso/Bostic in the 3rd, and Pough in the 4th. There are also some late-round guys like Klein and Beauharnais that I'm also high on.

FYI, if anybody wants to see Gregg Cossell's opinion on some of these players, here is a link to some of his videos discussing them with Adam Caplan.

Just have to get past the intro of the Eagles sacking Joe in the game last year lol.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/se...1085&Go.y=-250
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Re: ILB's. Like I said, really good comments here and from those comments and what I've read elsewhere and saw on tape....for pick 32 I only see Ogletree as a real possible pick there. Maybe Brown could be in the discussion. But with Te'o and Minter: both a good football players but I think that we will have better options than them at 32, depending on who falls to us.

What I hope is that Te'o and Minter and Brown would get picked before us (and that probably would mean Ogletree would be also picked) and so a good WR or a player like Watson or a good safety would drop to us. Or possibly a guy like Ertz....I guess I am saying the 'ol BPA and probably Minter or Te'o aren't that at 32.

Definitely thee are decent values at ILB in the mid-rounds and knowing Ozzie I presume he won't reach so I see it less likely that I thought before that the Ravens will take a ILB at 32.

I continue to hope that Ozzie is preparing trade scenarios that let us move up into the middle of the second round and catch whichever top-40 player is starting to slide. I could see us using our first two picks on LT, WR, ILB, and S, with less likely possibilities of TE, NT, and OLB. My standard for success in this draft doesn't revolve around getting one guy that fills a need at 32, as there's no one (other than maybe Kenny Vaccaro) that sufficiently excites me if we stay put. But if we can get a quality NFL player with our second pick, like we did with Osemele last year, I'll be satisfied.

Blog Entries

I know we've been talking about ILBs, but......

There is no reason in the world why Jonathan Cyprien should not be a first round prospect. The only hole in his game is the name of his school.

I actually like Cyprien more for the Ravens than Elam. Whoever gets Elam is going to get a Day 1 starter that will make an impact quickly. However, Cyprien seems to play with more body control and savvy. If the Ravens are looking for an enforcer, Elam is that guy and he would still be a coverage upgrade over Benard Pollard. However, if they are looking for more of a coverage SS who can still play the run and blitz, Cyprien is that guy. He can do it all. He'll probably go in the second round, but he is a first round worthy prospect.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I know we've been talking about ILBs, but......

There is no reason in the world why Jonathan Cyprien should not be a first round prospect. The only hole in his game is the name of his school.

I actually like Cyprien more for the Ravens than Elam. Whoever gets Elam is going to get a Day 1 starter that will make an impact quickly. However, Cyprien seems to play with more body control and savvy. If the Ravens are looking for an enforcer, Elam is that guy and he would still be a coverage upgrade over Benard Pollard. However, if they are looking for more of a coverage SS who can still play the run and blitz, Cyprien is that guy. He can do it all. He'll probably go in the second round, but he is a first round worthy prospect.
    I've seen him going in the first round in a lot of mocks.

Also saw this today in re safeties... I'll be interested to see part 2:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...GlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Nobody is going to argue against Cyprien...in fact out of the 2, I think he in fact has the better shot at being a first rounder than Elam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I wouldn't be surprised if Oz double dips at Safety, going 1 early and then another in 5/6.

Cyprien is a guy that i'd have a hard time believing Oz would pass up at 32, problem is i dont think he get's to 32 with the need at safety for the 49ers. A Huff/Cyprien back end would be outstanding.

In terms of double dipping at safety I completely agree. I expect a developmental FS guy late. My favourite is Josh Evans in the 5th
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I see Tony Pauline is tweeting that he thinks there's a very good chance that Miami will take DJ Fluker @ 11, which implies that Johnson goes before then and thus a huge early run on LT's. I think the more likely there's runs on OTs and QBs, the more likely a really good player falls to us at 32.