Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3233343536 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: All Things Draft:

There is one concern that I have about Elam. Elam tends to throw his body around more wrecklessly than Cyprien. While he is still a very good tackler, despite looking for the shoulder shot more than the form tackle, I can't help, but to think that his style will lend itself to more injuries.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

If the Ravens have to take Cyprien in the first, I would take him without flinching.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Would anyone take a flyer on Keenan Allen if he were to drop to 32?

Cossell compared him to Reggie Wayne when he came out.

I like him, but there is something about him that makes me not think of him as a first rounder...I'm concerned about his lack of explosiveness.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

From watching him for years beating up Pac-12 (and my Oregon) DB's, yeah, Keenan Allen is flat-out a 1st rounder to me. I think he won't be there for us because once he has his pro day today and teams see that he is healthy, he will shoot up the mock draft boards again.

Aaaaand Allen's pro day is OVAH! Here is a link to a series of twets about what happened:

https://twitter.com/James_Dator

Sounds like he impressed.

4.7 40 plus is a bad time.

He definitely isn't a burner on tape, but he doesn't look that slow.

Maybe the injury is still hurting him.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Would anyone take a flyer on Keenan Allen if he were to drop to 32?

Cossell compared him to Reggie Wayne when he came out.

I like him, but there is something about him that makes me not think of him as a first rounder...I'm concerned about his lack of explosiveness.
    I've been a little lower on Allen than some throughout the process but at 32 he's a great value. I don't think he's a top 10 caliber player at all, which is where he was often mocked previously, but he is a good prospect.

I think I was too hard on him in the past and kind of putting too much of Cal's general offensive ineptitude on him. He didn't demonstrate a full route tree or a lot of technical savvy, but that's really because Cal didn't ask him to. There are still a lot of questions as to whether he can get separation downfield, whether he can be a legit #1, what kind of offense does he fit best in, etc. but if he's available at 32 he's a definite BPA candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I've been a little lower on Allen than some throughout the process but at 32 he's a great value. I don't think he's a top 10 caliber player at all, which is where he was often mocked previously, but he is a good prospect.

I think I was too hard on him in the past and kind of putting too much of Cal's general offensive ineptitude on him. He didn't demonstrate a full route tree or a lot of technical savvy, but that's really because Cal didn't ask him to. There are still a lot of questions as to whether he can get separation downfield, whether he can be a legit #1, what kind of offense does he fit best in, etc. but if he's available at 32 he's a definite BPA candidate.
    He also had bad QB play

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

James Dator‏@James_Dator1h
    Overheard a scout (not sure which team) compare Allen to Cris Carter.... So there's that
    That's completely absurd. CC had the best hands in the history of Earth.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

Yup. I'm in the same boat. Marvin Jones moving on, crappy QB, infantile passing offense, etc.
    I like Allen's upside more than Hunter (needs hand, route AND strength work) for example.

I don't suspect Allen will fall all that far, if at all; but does the FO have Allen, Patton and Hopkins all bunched at #32? Who else? I mean if we had a 1st round grade on Torrey in 2011 (factoring out the intangibles) then I would think that we have a 1st round grade on Allen (equal productivity, slightly higher ceiling IMO), both Hopkins and Patton (greater productivity).

Edited: Too much drivel.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 04-09-2013 at 01:19 PM.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Doss was supposed to have great hands too.

In fact, my issue with Keenan Allen is he looks very similar to Doss in both body size and skill set.

Unless we have completely given up on Doss, Allen seems redundant to Doss.

I'd rather go after a guy with more explosiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I guess Allen and Carter are similarly sized (6'3 208 and 6'2 202) and both are "possession" receivers without deep separation skills, so they have similar overall playstyles, but I haven't seen ANYTHING on tape that suggests to me that Allen can do what made Carter so great--working the sidelines, making contested catches away from his body, and producing in the red zone.

That's actually probably my biggest question with Allen still... can he be a REAL outside-the-numbers threat? At Cal he didn't really run "odd number" routes... probably because Maynard didn't have the arm strength or timing to consistently hit the out/corner/etc. He made his living on digs and curls. Unless Torrey Smith really polishes up his precision and route-running the Ravens might still lack a real outside the numbers threat even with Allen in the fold.