Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: All Things Draft:

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    With Boldin likely on the way out, WR becomes a huge need--just as I have been saying it would be throughout this entire offseason...
    I don't know if Boldin is "likely on the way out." IMO Ozzie does a cap friendly deal and extends him two more years out, although he won't see the last year of it anyway. Do we (you) really want to see one of Joe's most important go-to guys (along with Pitta) off the roster? I surely don't, and would not draft WR in round #1... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Why would you double up on receivers? Fix the trenches before you get all fancy.
    The man has 11 picks to work with Leach, in a draft deep at DT.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Man, the Cowboys also have a terrible roster. Tony Romo is in a contract year. They have huge holes on the OL, they're moving to a 4-3 under defense that they don't have the pieces for, and they have a ton of money tied up in old, overrated players like Jay Ratliff, Marcus Spears, and Miles Austin. They also just committed 10+ million to Anthony Spencer (who is also a bad fit for Kiffin's 4-3 under) for apparently no real reason, and now they're saying they want to trade him!

I have no idea how they'll fix all their problems. If I were Jerry Jones, I would release Ratliff and Spears, draft Sheldon Richardson, and do my damnedest to trade Anthony Spencer, and just go with a full youth movement on defense. They'll need to take at least one safety early too. Go sign somebody to play RT, move Doug Free to RG, and hope that DeMarco Murray stays healthy for a whole year so you can take some pressure off of Tony Romo.

Blog Entries

Guys if we end up taking Hopkins at 32, here are two guys on the Ravens radar who could be likely possibilities in the 2nd round. Brandon Jenkins, and John Simon. Both are not going to last in the 3rd round because they are good productive pass rushers.

Who would you rather take? Jenkins is more explosive, and has a good burst of speed and power off the edge, he was only a rotational pass rusher at FSU and spent most of 2012 out with an injury, so all of his tape is from 2011. He would fit right in as our nickel DE/OLB just getting to the QB and spelling Upshaw in that role.

John Simon is a motor guy, and he would be a typical Raven pick. The guy never stops going, and is a great team guy and kind of reminds me a little of Paul Kruger with better run stopping ability. He isn't quite the athlete that Jenkins is, so if I was Ozzie and wanted a pass rusher at 62, this would be a hard choice for me, both are very close on my big board.

I'm leaning towards Jenkins, purely because of his explosion and athleticism to play the OLB/DE position, and its something we lack right now. John Simon is more of a tackle for loss kind of guy, and we already really have that in Upshaw.
    Last edited by leachisabeast; 03-10-2013 at 08:42 AM.

Blog Entries

Question for you guys : There's a DE named Joe Kruger, played for Utah. Is he Paul Kruger's brother ?
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...Joe-Kruger.php

... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Question for you guys : There's a DE named Joe Kruger, played for Utah. Is he Paul Kruger's brother ?
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...Joe-Kruger.php

... Bc
    Yep. Comparing pictures they look like twins.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Yep. Comparing pictures they look like twins.
    Thank you, Sir... Bc

Guys if we end up taking Hopkins at 32, here are two guys on the Ravens radar who could be likely possibilities in the 2nd round. Brandon Jenkins, and John Simon. Both are not going to last in the 3rd round because they are good productive pass rushers.

Who would you rather take? Jenkins is more explosive, and has a good burst of speed and power off the edge, he was only a rotational pass rusher at FSU and spent most of 2012 out with an injury, so all of his tape is from 2011. He would fit right in as our nickel DE/OLB just getting to the QB and spelling Upshaw in that role.

John Simon is a motor guy, and he would be a typical Raven pick. The guy never stops going, and is a great team guy and kind of reminds me a little of Paul Kruger with better run stopping ability. He isn't quite the athlete that Jenkins is, so if I was Ozzie and wanted a pass rusher at 62, this would be a hard choice for me, both are very close on my big board.

I'm leaning towards Jenkins, purely because of his explosion and athleticism to play the OLB/DE position, and its something we lack right now. John Simon is more of a tackle for loss kind of guy, and we already really have that in Upshaw.
    I'm a big Simon fan, but I think he can be had a little bit later in the draft. Probably more like late 3rd, early 4th round.

Yeah, I'd love Hopkins at 32, but would love Austin even more, but its unlikely Austin makes it past Chicago let alone New England.

I'd be stunned (as would Cutler) if CHI doesn't fix their OL.
    I think STL is going to grab Austin.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post

I'd be stunned (as would Cutler) if CHI doesn't fix their OL.
    I think STL is going to grab Austin.
    I am still not 100% sold on Austin going before the Ravens pick. I think Patterson, Hunter, Allen, and Hopkins are all more likely to go before Tavon. Having nothing to do with his ability, his size just really limits what you can do with him on the field.

Do you guys remember Jacoby Ford? He came out of Clemson a few years ago to the Raiders. He was an absolute monster in college and was a threat to score every time the ball was in his hands. Many felt he was one of the better receivers in that draft and he is just as fast and explosive as Tavon. He is also about 5-10 lbs heavier and roughly the same height. I think Ford dropped into the 3rd round and though he has made some big time plays for the Raiders he is still a niche player and has had a hard time breaking into their game plans. DHB is nowhere near as good of a player as Ford is, but he was a 1st rounder and is a starter.

Unfortunately, at receiver size does matter. I know some will look at Steve Smith as a comparison and it is valid, but Smith was also not taken in round 1 and Austin (by many's own words on here including mine) played a lot of slot at WVU and isn't great at fighting off press coverage.

I am all about the Ravens getting more explosive at receiver, but we also need someone who can line up outside as opposed to another slot guy. For my money, DeAndre Hopkins is a better fit for this offense right now. However, I think the Ravens will have an opportunity to take Tavon if they want to. I just don't 100% believe that a GM is going to spend a 1st rounder on the 5'9" niche receiver.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I am still not 100% sold on Austin going before the Ravens pick. I think Patterson, Hunter, Allen, and Hopkins are all more likely to go before Tavon. Having nothing to do with his ability, his size just really limits what you can do with him on the field.

Do you guys remember Jacoby Ford? He came out of Clemson a few years ago to the Raiders. He was an absolute monster in college and was a threat to score every time the ball was in his hands. Many felt he was one of the better receivers in that draft and he is just as fast and explosive as Tavon. He is also about 5-10 lbs heavier and roughly the same height. I think Ford dropped into the 3rd round and though he has made some big time plays for the Raiders he is still a niche player and has had a hard time breaking into their game plans. DHB is nowhere near as good of a player as Ford is, but he was a 1st rounder and is a starter.

Unfortunately, at receiver size does matter. I know some will look at Steve Smith as a comparison and it is valid, but Smith was also not taken in round 1 and Austin (by many's own words on here including mine) played a lot of slot at WVU and isn't great at fighting off press coverage.

I am all about the Ravens getting more explosive at receiver, but we also need someone who can line up outside as opposed to another slot guy. For my money, DeAndre Hopkins is a better fit for this offense right now. However, I think the Ravens will have an opportunity to take Tavon if they want to. I just don't 100% believe that a GM is going to spend a 1st rounder on the 5'9" niche receiver.

You bring up some valid points. It could quite possibly happen that way too, although I very much doubt he'll drop to the 3rd round.

Blog Entries

You bring up some valid points. It could quite possibly happen that way too, although I very much doubt he'll drop to the 3rd round.
    I dont think he will either, but I definitely think he could slip well into the 2nd round.

Keep in mind too that he is competing against Tyler Eiffert and Zach Ertz as well. So, a team like the Titans, Bears, or 49ers could easily look at Ertz or Eiffert over Austin as well because of the mismatches they pose.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.