Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3334353637 ... LastLast

Re: All Things Draft:

Back to the safeties real quick...here is Greg Cosell's article breakdown on the safeties (not video).

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...3Rpb25z;_ylv=3
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Doss was supposed to have great hands too.

In fact, my issue with Keenan Allen is he looks very similar to Doss in both body size and skill set.

Unless we have completely given up on Doss, Allen seems redundant to Doss.

I'd rather go after a guy with more explosiveness.
    I agree with you on explosiveness.
    Besides foot speed, explosiveness is now the heaviest weighed factor that I use on evaluating WRs.
    My excel sheet is at home, but IIRC, the most explosive WR at the Combine was Markus Wheaton.
    Huge bench for his weight and build, and excellent BJ and VJ for his height.

I do see Allen eating up ground very quickly with the ball in his hands. As much as Patterson minus the ridiculous evasiveness that he has.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I guess Allen and Carter are similarly sized (6'3 208 and 6'2 202) and both are "possession" receivers without deep separation skills, so they have similar overall playstyles, but I haven't seen ANYTHING on tape that suggests to me that Allen can do what made Carter so great--working the sidelines, making contested catches away from his body, and producing in the red zone.

That's actually probably my biggest question with Allen still... can he be a REAL outside-the-numbers threat? At Cal he didn't really run "odd number" routes... probably because Maynard didn't have the arm strength or timing to consistently hit the out/corner/etc. He made his living on digs and curls. Unless Torrey Smith really polishes up his precision and route-running the Ravens might still lack a real outside the numbers threat even with Allen in the fold.
    Excellent question IMO. Projecting Allen into a pro system is a difficult task. I have seen glimpses out his out-route running ability, but that's about it. However, if JimC implements a scheme similar to what he had at IND then I like Allen's build for quick slants and intermediate back-shoulder fades. It will be challenging for DBs to fight through/underneath Allen on slants, and/or out-jump Allen for the ball on fades of any kind.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Back to the safeties real quick...here is Greg Cosell's article breakdown on the safeties (not video).

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...3Rpb25z;_ylv=3
    Nice article. As usual, I think he's on the money with pretty much everything he says... obviously he's way better at breaking down film than me but I've noted a lot of the same things.

Is Elam going to be overmatched at times going against 6'5 TEs, considering his 5'9 3/4 frame? Sure he is. But there really aren't a lot of players who can compete for jump balls with the Rob Gronkowskis and Jimmy Grahams of the world... Elam is going to have to compensate by playing the ball and causing it to separate with hard hits. I think he can do that although penalties will be a factor.

I do think Cyprien has a very high ceiling, probably higher than anybody in the class except possibly Vaccaro. Like I said in an earlier post, I think Elam is more mentally advanced and ready to play right now, and I usually defer to the more proven player in my evaluation, which is why I personally give the edge to Elam. I do think you could reasonably say they're 1A and 1B definitely at worst.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I agree with you on explosiveness.
    Besides foot speed, explosiveness is now the heaviest weighed factor that I use on evaluating WRs.
    My excel sheet is at home, but IIRC, the most explosive WR at the Combine was Markus Wheaton.
    Huge bench for his weight and build, and excellent BJ and VJ for his height.

I do see Allen eating up ground very quickly with the ball in his hands. As much as Patterson minus the ridiculous evasiveness that he has.
    Obviously definitions vary with regards to "explosiveness", but it has to be some weighted combination of physical attributes (can't be taught) and on-field performance.

When I think explosive I think Dez Bryant, Julio Jones and Demaryius Thomas (Calvin Johnson is a pure freak that gets his own category).

Torrey has some pretty good measurables. And he has the deep speed. But I still don't know if I would classify him as "explosive" with respect to the way I view explosiveness. He seems more like Mike Wallace to me. They seem more fast than anything else. I don't really want to use the one-trick pony classification, but maybe that is most fitting.

Guys like Dez, Julio, Thomas have size, speed, and strength (e.g. to break tackles), etc.

The only top rated guys I think that have the potential to fit that mold are Patterson, Hunter (a little too skinny) and Rogers, and coincidentally they are all Tenn guys. They all have that particular combination of speed, vertical leap and size with some on-field play to back up their measurables.

I'd say Hunter physically looks more like an AJ Green and Larry Fitzgerald type, whereas Hunter and Rogers are closer to Dez and Julio.
    Last edited by bt12483; 04-09-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Still think Hopkins will be our pick if we sit at 32

I'm gonna try and study Kenan Allen more, problem is there offense is so dreadful to watch the games i've seen so far. I'm not sure he ran a route in the Ohio St. game lol. Could fall to 32 because of that 40but is he still banged up or is he just slower then expected.

Cosell says he thinks teams will think Elam's overall game will override his size disadvantage versus TE's in man coverage, that's all i need to know :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Aaaaand Allen's pro day is OVAH! Here is a link to a series of tweets about what happened:

https://twitter.com/James_Dator

Sounds like he impressed.
    It seems he wasn't the only one to impress.

Ricky Proehl still looks like he could play. The man is a machine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    It seems he wasn't the only one to impress.
    Proehl>Sandcastle

Sio Moore was on WNST this afternoon. I had seen tape of him and was impressed but really impressed listening to the kid. Smart with head on right. Had some interesting and good thinks to say about Randy Edsall also. First football hero....Peter Boulware.

Not sure if its been mentioned but one reason to potentially trade out of #32 or not trade out of #32 depending on your viewpoint is the new CBA. First round picks are 4 yrs all other rounds are 3 till RFA as I understand it. If you see a guy you really like it might be beneficial to get that extra year. On the flip side I would imagine it would increase the value of #32 in terms of a trade. Especially if your targeting a QB. Might increase the fetching price for that pick
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Not sure if its been mentioned but one reason to potentially trade out of #32 or not trade out of #32 depending on your viewpoint is the new CBA. First round picks are 4 yrs all other rounds are 3 till RFA as I understand it. If you see a guy you really like it might be beneficial to get that extra year. On the flip side I would imagine it would increase the value of #32 in terms of a trade. Especially if your targeting a QB. Might increase the fetching price for that pick
    Hmmm, the Bills have the 41st pick (9th pick in round #2) and they might covet a young QB (Barkley, Nassib, etc.) ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    That's not correct according to my reading. 1st round picks get a 4 year deal WITH an optional 5th year. 2nd through 7th rounders just get a regular 4 year deal. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/67...football-terms

Restricted free agency is essentially over for all players drafted in 2011 and beyond. Only UDFAs will be hitting the market with less than 4 years of service, so RFAs will be a thing of the past from now on.