Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Flacco deal has apparently been finalized!

Ok...hear me out. I am a pessimistic guy, I always have to look at my worst case scenarios. I know Joe will play well, but...

Let's just say that by Year 4, we're talking about a QB who's really hit the downside. If you pay him, it's 29 M, if you cut or trade him, it's 25 M dead money. Could that be spread over two years to soften the blow?

It almost looks like we'd be forced to extend him, EVEN if he's starting to be mediocre.

AGAIN, just a hypothetical. I don't expect that to be the case, just trying to wrap my head around all angles of the deal.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Listening to SiriusNFL this morning they confirmed my view that this is a 3 year deal that will have to be restructured before the 2016 season.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but simply restructuring won't work well at all. You would decrease the 29 M number, but then his next two cap hit numbers would jump pretty horribly (already 31 M in Year 5, 24 M in Year 6).

You'd basically have to extend and restructure inside of the extension.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Yep. Also, Suggs and Ngata will be off the books.
    Those 2 players are eating up 24.5m of CAP space, a significant amount. We also have 4.5m of dead money this year we won't have next year. Most of that is from Lewis and Birk.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but simply restructuring won't work well at all. You would decrease the 29 M number, but then his next two cap hit numbers would jump pretty horribly (already 31 M in Year 5, 24 M in Year 6).

You'd basically have to extend and restructure inside of the extension.
    That is correct. A restructure - just moving the money around within the present deal - will not work. Any change has to come from an extensive to spread that money out further into the future.

IMO, this deal really gives Flacco all of the leverage in 2016.

http://russellstreetreport.com/break...ccos-new-deal/
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

HARBS very happy for JOe

Calls 6-year deal very fitting. He was the one who yelled, PAY THE MAN, after a strong game on MOnday Night Football in Cinci.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...0,775419.story

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    That is correct. A restructure - just moving the money around within the present deal - will not work. Any change has to come from an extensive to spread that money out further into the future.

IMO, this deal really gives Flacco all of the leverage in 2016.

Yup, because the Ravens won't have the safety net of the Franchise Tag to use. Flacco will hold all the cards after the 2015 season.

Quote Originally Posted by psuraven View Post
    Yup, because the Ravens won't have the safety net of the Franchise Tag to use. Flacco will hold all the cards after the 2015 season.
    I hope you're right because it will mean that Joe had great seasons in 2013, 2014 and 2015. What frustrated most of us and has to be apparent to the Ravens organization is how Joe was handcuffed for more than 4 years by Cam's offense. With a small sample of games under Caldwell I'm excited to see what Joe will do for a full year in an offense that tries to exploit his skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Yep. Also, Suggs and Ngata will be off the books.
    True but you to have to account for the possibility that we have may some of our other prior draft picks in line for big pay days.

Blog Entries

Does anybody know of a reliable source of where we can find what the salary might be when that monster number hits?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Does anybody know of a reliable source of where we can find what the salary might be when that monster number hits?
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/joe-flacco/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post

Blog Entries

btw, just typical of Our Joe...

When asked what he's going to do with the money: "I'll probably just look at it...and smile"
    He was at his uncle's house for a weekly family dinner when he learned about the contract being accepted.