Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Re: Flacco deal has apparently been finalized!

Ravens win another SB or 2 in those first 3 years, it will be money well spent. Flacco will continue to quietly win more games then losses, going to post season again, and winning one or more in post season. Not a SB dynasty, but a most wins dynasty while Flacco is here. I'll take it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    I follow you, and I think that while Flacco has started every game so far, getting young blood at the QB position is never a bad idea. Matt Cassell worked out pretty well for the Pats.

But what I am saying is that the Ravens just gave him a contract where they (i) had zero leverage; (ii) effectively couldn't use the franchise tag; and (iii) made him the "highest paid" QB in the game. And they still were able to do it on fairly cap friendly terms for the first 3 years.

Why won't they be able to do it again in 3 years, when the situation appears like it will be largely the same...I suppose the difference is that they will owe a hugggggggggggeeee number in year 4 whereas this offseason they were on the hook for nada...

but is he going to want to play behind a crappy O-line or whatever and depress his value and/or get hurt in year 4 and 5 right before he comes up for his last big contract at age 33?
    I think Flacco is going to want to get paid big time again in 2016, because that might be his last big contract. I just want them to spend a 3rd or 4th round pick either this year or next year on a QB that has a legit chance of developing into a starting caliber QB by 2016. Similar to what the Redskins and Patriots did with Cousins and Mallet respectively. Then, the Ravens could renegotiate Flacco's deal with a realistic fall-back position. This year, Flacco knew the Ravens had nowhere else to go, so they had to pay him what he wanted. Rodgers might sign a crazy deal in the $150M range in a year or two. I am not looking forward to the prospect of Flacco making a similar demand in 2016. At some point, giving players such huge contracts catches up with a team.

I just don't see why he and Linta won't do what they did in this negotiation the next time.

The biggest risk to me is level of performance by Joe. They've made the playoffs all these years and won the Super Bowl with a QB position paid below top market value. Which has allowed them obviously to spend more broadly on more positions at above market value

Are they going to be able to restructure the entire resource allocation of the team and remain where they are? Time will tell, but simple math will make this franchise rise and fall that much more on the right arm of #5.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    I just don't see why he and Linta won't do what they did in this negotiation the next time.

The biggest risk to me is level of performance by Joe. They've made the playoffs all these years and won the Super Bowl with a QB position paid below top market value. Which has allowed them obviously to spend more broadly on more positions at above market value

Are they going to be able to restructure the entire resource allocation of the team and remain where they are? Time will tell, but simple math will make this franchise rise and fall that much more on the right arm of #5.
    I am sure that Flacco and Linta will be willing to restructure Flacco's deal in 2016 to "help the Ravens out". That is, for an additional $60M guaranteed. We will see if the Ravens will be ok with that, and what if anything they will do to strengthen their negotiating position between now and then.