Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 85 to 96 of 100
  1. #85
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    12,094
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Flacco deal has apparently been finalized!



    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Agreed, but then again the Ravens have put a lot of money into Webb, Suggs, and Ngata. All of whom have been injured often recently. One could argue that the Ravens are headed down a similar path.
    The Ravens, however, have drafted better. Which, now that I think about it, takes us back to Paintballguy's point. It's funny how that came full circle.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  2. #86
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    9,158
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The Ravens, however, have drafted better. Which, now that I think about it, takes us back to Paintballguy's point. It's funny how that came full circle.
    Yup yup. The ravens have a lot of young talent. Hopefully Ozzie has another solid draft to restock.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk




  3. #87

    Re: Flacco deal has apparently been finalized!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Yup yup. The ravens have a lot of young talent. Hopefully Ozzie has another solid draft to restock.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The backups did their job and kept the games close. With the experience they got in 2012, that makes 2013 more interesting. Those players have a ring and have been to the promised land. Hope they're even hungrier this year. Good coaching and veteran players around them will make them do the right things. Ozzie will do what he does best with draft choices and Fas.




  4. #88
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    9,158
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    The backups did their job and kept the games close. With the experience they got in 2012, that makes 2013 more interesting. Those players have a ring and have been to the promised land. Hope they're even hungrier this year. Good coaching and veteran players around them will make them do the right things. Ozzie will do what he does best with draft choices and Fas.
    I'm very excited for the draft and free agency. It's always fun watching Ozzie work his magic. He may not make the immediate splash moves but those don't win championships.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk




  5. #89

    Re: Flacco deal has apparently been finalized!

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Kinda of like how some view the Steelers and their supposed cap troubles every year, though I'd never call them morons.
    "Supposed"? They were like 20 million over the cap this year!




  6. #90
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    15,468
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Flacco deal has apparently been finalized!

    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  7. #91

    Re: Flacco deal has apparently been finalized!

    Joe helped the Ravens with his contract signing, where's all the stories about how he helped the Ravens be able to re-sign other players. Oh yea, his name is Flacco, not br or brady. Joe is a team player and a damn good one at that.




  8. #92
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Where Ravens Fans Roam Free
    Posts
    1,918

    Re: Flacco deal has apparently been finalized!

    Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Joe helped the Ravens with his contract signing, where's all the stories about how he helped the Ravens be able to re-sign other players. Oh yea, his name is Flacco, not br or brady. Joe is a team player and a damn good one at that.
    It's true that the structure of the contract has low cap hits early on, but this contract structure also works for Flacco too. The cap hits in 2016, 2017, and 2018 are huge. That means that this contract will have to be renegotiated in 2016. But by then, Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton, and Matt Ryan will have signed new deals that could be higher then what was paid to Flacco. Flacco will have all kinds of leverage in 2016 to get an even bigger contract from the Ravens to alleviate their immediate cap hit. That is why I started the thread about the Ravens drafting and developing a QB to be ready to start by 2016 to give the Ravens some leverage in those negotiations with Flacco.




  9. #93
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,064
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Flacco deal has apparently been finalized!

    Basically, Joe helped them with low cap numbers first 3 years. In return, he's holding ALL the cards in Year 4 for an extension.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  10. #94

    Re: Flacco deal has apparently been finalized!

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Basically, Joe helped them with low cap numbers first 3 years. In return, he's holding ALL the cards in Year 4 for an extension.
    I don't think players necessarily care about the cap numbers, and I don't think the Ravens feel like Joe did them any favors with the structure of the deal.

    The fact remains he's essentially fully guaranteed ~$62 million in his pocket for the next 3 years, regardless of how Pat Moriarty has structured the contract.

    Now, his agent knows year 4 is when something will have to be done by the Ravens which does give leverage to Flacco, but why would Flacco not do an extension with extra years to defer the big cap numbers until the back-end of that contract just like his current deal. Flacco will only be 31 when it's time for the Ravens to renegotiate this deal.

    The real cap problem will come, maybe, as it did with Ray Lewis, if Flacco plays out his 3rd contract into like 36-38 year old seasons. But QB is different than MLB and that potential problem is a decade away




  11. #95
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Where Ravens Fans Roam Free
    Posts
    1,918

    Re: Flacco deal has apparently been finalized!

    Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    Now, his agent knows year 4 is when something will have to be done by the Ravens which does give leverage to Flacco, but why would Flacco not do an extension with extra years to defer the big cap numbers until the back-end of that contract just like his current deal. Flacco will only be 31 when it's time for the Ravens to renegotiate this deal.

    The real cap problem will come, maybe, as it did with Ray Lewis, if Flacco plays out his 3rd contract into like 36-38 year old seasons. But QB is different than MLB and that potential problem is a decade away
    By 2016, Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton, and Matt Ryan will have new contracts that might exceed Flacco's contract. Flacco would probably agree to an extension to alleviate the immediate cap hit, but at what cost? Say he says that he wants to be paid more than Aaron Rodgers from 2016 going forward? That deal would dwarf his current deal in just three years. The Ravens had zero leverage in this round of negotiations, because they did not have a viable alternative option to Flacco. The Ravens now have three years to draft and develop another QB, so that they are not in the same negotiating position in 2016. Plus, they could use a legit back-up QB anyway in case Flacco gets hurt.




  12. #96

    Re: Flacco deal has apparently been finalized!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    By 2016, Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton, and Matt Ryan will have new contracts that might exceed Flacco's contract. Flacco would probably agree to an extension to alleviate the immediate cap hit, but at what cost? Say he says that he wants to be paid more than Aaron Rodgers from 2016 going forward? That deal would dwarf his current deal in just three years. The Ravens had zero leverage in this round of negotiations, because they did not have a viable alternative option to Flacco. The Ravens now have three years to draft and develop another QB, so that they are not in the same negotiating position in 2016. Plus, they could use a legit back-up QB anyway in case Flacco gets hurt.
    I follow you, and I think that while Flacco has started every game so far, getting young blood at the QB position is never a bad idea. Matt Cassell worked out pretty well for the Pats.

    But what I am saying is that the Ravens just gave him a contract where they (i) had zero leverage; (ii) effectively couldn't use the franchise tag; and (iii) made him the "highest paid" QB in the game. And they still were able to do it on fairly cap friendly terms for the first 3 years.

    Why won't they be able to do it again in 3 years, when the situation appears like it will be largely the same...I suppose the difference is that they will owe a hugggggggggggeeee number in year 4 whereas this offseason they were on the hook for nada...

    but is he going to want to play behind a crappy O-line or whatever and depress his value and/or get hurt in year 4 and 5 right before he comes up for his last big contract at age 33?




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland