Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: VONTA LEACH: Is he a MUST KEEP?

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    If we released Leach for the sole purpose of being able to add his $3m onto next year's cap figure, I think that would definitely hurt our marketability with future free agents. That would be a pretty bush league thing to do, particularly after the initial free agency wave was over, and Leach would not command his normal open market value.
    No it wouldn't.

We fans make more of a big deal out of these things than the players do.

The guy in New England has twice let go what most thought were franchise cornerstones one week before the season started.

It hasn't hurt their marketability one bit.

If the money is right, the player will take it.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    His cap hit is $3 Million and we are doing fine with cap space.
    Um, according to Ravor's latest cap hit thread, we're $4.1M under right now. I don't call that just
    fine. We still might have Boldin if it was just fine but they asked him to take a cut because it wasn't fine.

Blog Entries

Vontae Leach is the man. I keep telling you. The best fullback in the league, without question.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Vontae Leach is the man. I keep telling you. The best fullback in the league, without question.
    no one is disputing that

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Yea, we all love him but the game is changing with 3-WR sets like the one Caldwell won the SB with. Somebody has to come out - that's Leach. They can't justify spending that for a guy who only plays 35-40% of the plays. They asked Boldin who won the SB to take a $2M cut but still have a guy with a big salary who saw limited action. They didn't even try to sign Kruger who was off the field during most of the SB but got $40M elsewhere. Something has to give. He's lucky he's still on the team.

I hope he stays but like Art said when he left Cleveland, I just don't see how I can stay here.

6. Re: VONTA LEACH: Is he a MUST KEEP?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    He's a baller, without question.
    What I love about Vonta is how they spent a year establishing him as that one-trick pony, the blocking fullback, and then last year gave him the occasional carry and the short pass when nobody was watching - and he was always a positive yardage guy.

And yeah, we don't pay for personality, but he is a non-ego TEAM player with a great work ethic who does whatever is asked of him on the field, and does it well. Harbs and Ozzie have shown they value that type of player.

I'd say he's a must-keep, who needs to be more involved as a shut-down or misdirection in the passing game to justify his salary. Instead of cutting him, why not expand his role and give him a chance?

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Yea, we all love him but the game is changing with 3-WR sets like the one Caldwell won the SB with. Somebody has to come out - that's Leach. They can't justify spending that for a guy who only plays 35-40% of the plays. They asked Boldin who won the SB to take a $2M cut but still have a guy with a big salary who saw limited action. They didn't even try to sign Kruger who was off the field during most of the SB but got $40M elsewhere. Something has to give. He's lucky he's still on the team.

I hope he stays but like Art said when he left Cleveland, I just don't see how I can stay here.
    i would love to have a HB TE guy like james casey on the texans or Delanie Walker, caldwell will make us more potent

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Well, keep in mind that the Ravens needed a Harvard guy (Birk) to translate Ed Reed's "speeches."
    Now that he's gone, do we really need another intellectual on the roster? LOL... Bc
    Hadn't heard of this before. Can you elaborate?

Blog Entries

The man has put the likes of Patrick Willis and Casey Hampton on their collective ass. Good luck finding that type of physicality around the corner, because it sure isn't falling out of every tree in the woods.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Leach = right player/wrong price on a team that values right player/right price.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Um, according to Ravor's latest cap hit thread, we're $4.1M under right now. I don't call that just
    fine. We still might have Boldin if it was just fine but they asked him to take a cut because it wasn't fine.
    If we still had 3-4 positions to round out on our roster, that wouldn't be just fine. That's not the case. At most, we might have two (LB and LT)

At this point, pre Pollard money, $4.1m is perfectly okay. It gives us enough money to sign any player we would want, perhaps even two. There is no player left on the free agent market who would command a first year cap figure of more than $4m.