Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Nice article; we will soon know how the team feels. About it. Best case, restructure and keep him but at his current salary it will be tough.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Re: VONTA LEACH: Is he a MUST KEEP?

I think Leach would be a perfect fit for the 49ers pistol offense, they run an inside power zone a lot of the time, Leach would be an absolute beast in that offense.

I think Vonta is gone. I think Caldwell will use a lot of 3 wide sets, play Pitta at HBack and Rice may adjust nicely to a spread out defense. If I had to spend the money it would be on keeping Q. And I am a big Vonta fan. You got to love a guy who is the best at his position and plays as physical as Leach does.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Find a way to make it work with his current salary? Yes.
    No. There are many ways to spend that 4.3 million more efficiently. If we can make it work by keeping Leach, we can make it work even better by getting rid of him. We can't be emotionally attached to players when making these kinds of decisions.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Nah. He is a desirable keep but definitely not a must keep IMO. How much of a cut would he be willing to take?

I'll say this though --if we do lose him that locker room will suddenly become a lot less meaner and tougher.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    No. There are many ways to spend that 4.3 million more efficiently. If we can make it work by keeping Leach, we can make it work even better by getting rid of him. We can't be emotionally attached to players when making these kinds of decisions.
    How does that make sense?

Lowering Leach's cap hit to say, 1M would pretty much save the same amount as what it would if we cut him, once you take dead money and the cost of his roster replacement into account, and it would keep a valued luxury and a very good player on your offense.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    How does that make sense?

Lowering Leach's cap hit to say, 1M would pretty much save the same amount as what it would if we cut him, once you take dead money and the cost of his roster replacement into account, and it would keep a valued luxury and a very good player on your offense.
    Can't lower his cap hit to 1m. The lowest his cap hit can be is 1.33m and that is if you cut him. If you keep him the lowest his cap hit can be is 2.2m. 1.3 + 900k vet minimum. Any fullback they signed would be closer to 400k. If Leach was willing to take Vet minimum you keep him. Any more than that and it does not really make sense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Can't lower his cap hit to 1m. The lowest his cap hit can be is 1.33m and that is if you cut him. If you keep him the lowest his cap hit can be is 2.2m. 1.3 + 900k vet minimum. Any fullback they signed would be closer to 400k. If Leach was willing to take Vet minimum you keep him. Any more than that and it does not really make sense.
    I'm talking about contract extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I'm talking about contract extensions.
    Even if you extend him his lowest cap hit for this season would be 2.2m. You have to pay him the vet minimum in salary. There is nothing that can be done to lower the 1.33m as it was a bonus already paid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Even if you extend him his lowest cap hit for this season would be 2.2m. You have to pay him the vet minimum in salary. There is nothing that can be done to lower the 1.33m as it was a bonus already paid.
    Oh yeah excuse me.

11. Re: VONTA LEACH: Is he a MUST KEEP?

I thought it was weird when I heard this, because every time you're watching Leach you see him pancake some guy. But apparently the film shows that our offense is better when he's not on the field.

Blog Entries

Give the man an extension and lower his cap figure.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore