Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Re: Should the "Art" patch stay on the Ravens uniform?

Just putting in my 2 cents, I lost my older brother when I was 10, and though I love him and miss him even 30 years later, I don't have a marker on my life of him. He wouldn't want it, he'd want me to go on with my life and remember him fondly.

That being said, my younger brother who knew him far less being only 4 at the time has his name tattooed on his body.

Point is, everyone is different in how they deal with death and memorializing someone.

As for an NFL team, I think it is important to do a 1 year patch, after that, it should become something else at the stadium. A statue, a sign, but if permanent patches become the norm, then eventually the team becomes more about the past then what it is, a football team in Baltimore.

Steve Bisciotti once said, he doesn't own the team, it belongs to Baltimore, he is merely the current steward. As much as Art did for Baltimore, let us not forget there were business considerations that brought him here. He was a great man for us, not so much in the eyes of Cleveland. I say let the memorial rest in Baltimore and not be a permanent part of the Raven's legacy where we take it on the road with us.

Blog Entries

They dedicated the 2011 season to Art, now it's time to move on. He won't be forgotten but the patch goes

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    They dedicated the 2011 season to Art, now it's time to move on. He won't be forgotten but the patch goes
    I agree. I will always be grateful to Art for bringing the Ravens to Baltimore, but the vast majority of his career was in Cleveland (similar to Byner). The Ravens have done a good job of honoring Art, but it now time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Yeah, I'd always assumed the patch would be a one-year thing, which I think is appropriate. Losing the patch won't lessen the memory of Art in Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    This isn't a decision the Ravens will make, the NFL makes the decision. The Ravens could ask to keep it but my guess is it would be denied as a 1 year thing.
    Rule 5, Section 4, Article 7 (Personal Messages) covers this:

"any such approved items ... must not be worn for more than one football season"

Quote Originally Posted by SNAFU View Post
    The patch should stay.........until Art has his day!
    Great idea!