Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1617181920 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Flacco Agrees To Deal, Will Sign on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    That was my first thought. Either they overpay him more than flacco without the resume and look like idiots or they dont and put to rest the debate who is better. I have a feeling its less. SB MVPs always get top dollar. I think ryan is set for a down year honestly.
    Joe Flacco leading the Ravens to the Super Bowl and winning Super Bowl MVP might have put a dent in Ryan's contract situation. However, if Atlanta is convinced that they are willing to significantly overpay him, by any means, I don't think Flacco negatively impacts Ryan.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: Flacco going to sign deal Monday

"Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: Flacco going to sign deal Monday

Thank you Mr. Linta, but there's already a big-ass thread on this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    KO is a MONSTER at LG. I'm very excited to see KO Gino Yanda up the middle, could make for a great pocket for Flacco to step up into.
    Ditto.

Gino did well vs Cinci's first stringers in the first qtr getting to the 2d level. I never liked his size but he plays bigger than his size. They better keep that line as is. That's when we started winning all the way to the SB. Like posted above, it will be great up the middle and those guys should get another ring in the next couple of years.

Blog Entries

As more and more details come out, I'm getting concerned that Ozzie blinked a bit and just gave Linta and Flacco a blank check...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ownst-to-agent

Well, Flacco's agent, Joe Linta, told me he spoke for 10 minutes with Ravens cap guy/negotiator Pat Moriarty on Friday before boarding a plane from Philadelphia to Houston.

At that point, Linta gave the Ravens what he called his "last-ditch offer."

They asked: Do we have a deal if we agree? According to Linta, he told them, "I'd think so."
    This, plus Linta saying "they agreed to all our demands" makes me feel like Ozzie knew our backs would be up against a wall had we not gotten this deal done prior to FA, so just let Linta have the win. It's always said, the best deal is one that leaves both sides a little upset, because they both gave up things to get it done. It just feels like after talking a few times, Linta pulled a card that said "this is our last offer, if you don't like it, we'll roll the dice again" and Ozzie didn't want to roll.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I think you may be reading into it. Linta's "last ditch effort" could have been lower than his previous stance(s). If both sides moved inward from their starting figures, then Ozzie didn't give a blank check or completely cave.

I said from the beginning I thought Linta/Joe wanted the title of highest paid. On another post I said Brees plus $1 would do it. It turned out to be Brees plus $.1M per year. That said, it doesn't mean Linta started there. If he really really wanted that figure then he probably started higher so he could "compromise" to that number.

Either way, we knew Ozzie was over the barrel, so to speak. I think Ozzie paid very close to his maximum, and Linta accepted near his minimum, even if Ozzie probably moved more from his starting point.

Linta saying "agreed to all demands," is just self-promotion, plus it doesn't specify the time. Obviously they agreed to all his "last ditch" demands, or we wouldn't be talking about a done deal. Whether he had walked back those demands at all from the start point, we don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    As more and more details come out, I'm getting concerned that Ozzie blinked a bit and just gave Linta and Flacco a blank check...

This, plus Linta saying "they agreed to all our demands" makes me feel like Ozzie knew our backs would be up against a wall had we not gotten this deal done prior to FA, so just let Linta have the win. It's always said, the best deal is one that leaves both sides a little upset, because they both gave up things to get it done. It just feels like after talking a few times, Linta pulled a card that said "this is our last offer, if you don't like it, we'll roll the dice again" and Ozzie didn't want to roll.

It's essentially a good win-win deal all around. Both sides compromised a bit, which is what a good negotiation is all about.
    Last edited by RavensRule21215; 03-02-2013 at 01:15 AM.

People forget this is Ozzie's MO. He simply pays highly for the star players on the team. He did the same thing with a number of Ravens, making them the highest paid at their position at the time. This is no different.

This doesn't surprise me at all.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Gotta feel great about signing a Raven born Franchise QB, the first! What a great start to march madness. Joe is a Raven, and he will be ballin for at least 6 more years in Charm City.
    Highest paid, and helps the cap. Win win. This is a great day, BMORE we have a QB!!!

Ozzie at it again people, he will defend this title, and ride into the sunset with 3 under that HOF belt.

Great day to be a Raven!!! Purple Pride RAVENNation

Blog Entries

linta is advertising for new clients. What did you think he was going to say? I caved to the team? No. He is going to portray things as if he won the negotiation. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. But he is posturing via the media. If this was the last ditch offer, then clearly he also made concessions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I think you're reading too much into his words.

"Unlikely this thing falls apart at this stage even though nothing has been finalized yet. All signs point toward a huge deal for Joe Flacco"
    The agent said it's not done until it's signed. Ravens agreed to the terms we put forth but it's not signed yet according to the agent. Aaron is right as usual.

Ravens definitely caved in. Note the phrase above, Ravens agreed to the terms we put forth. Joe is the highest paid player in football passing Brees' contract. JOe had that kind of leverage on them as he tied MOntana and Warner for the most TDs (11)
    in a single playoff season and 0 interceptions, plus of course, SB MVP. No wonder Ozzie didn't like the agent-lol.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...e-ea075abf381a

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...tory?track=rss
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-02-2013 at 02:51 AM.

I don't have a problem with this. It will likely be extended or restructured in a few years anyway as all big contracts seem to be.

Everyone keeps comparing deals, Flacco - Brees, Flacco - Rodgers etc....

All these guys who are supposed to be 100% better than Joe were in the stands or home on the couch for the big game. Yes Joe has had lousy games, you won't find a QB out there who doesn't. Joe also has phenomenal games, just like every other high priced QB.

All athletes have a window of opportunity to show they are worth the big money. Joe happened to show it at exactly the right time. Once that window closes you can't open it again.

If the Ravens didn't want to pony up the cash you can bet there are probably 2 or 3 teams maybe more who would.

You can have your single season passing records and most td's in a season record but if you are watching the big game from somewhere other than the sidelines it means nothing.