Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819 ... LastLast

Re: Flacco Agrees To Deal, Will Sign on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think everyone can agree with that premise.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    The other premise is that if the Ravens want consistency on offense, they need consistency from the O-line. Bringing back McKinnie would give them the same O-line in back to back years for the first time since Joe's arrival. That's not to say that McKinnie the only option, or necessarily the best, but before people start talking about moving KO to LT, etc. I think it's huge to give Joe a solid foundation, starting with the O-line. If McKinnie is available at the right price, and things are solid between him and the coaching staff, that would be one less thing to worry about in the quest to make 2012's success the rule rather than the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    Extending a player who is still under contract with a couple years left is kind of a scummy tactic. That's why no one likes how the Eagles do business.
    hmm... I see what you mean, but I am not suggesting that they should extend a marginal player or such while under contract. For instance, I was hoping that they would extend Ray Rice (we can agree that he outperformed his rookie contract well into his second or third season).

My rationale is along the line that it will be less costly to extend a great player than sign a new contract under an ever-evolving marketplace.

We could strategically extend certain players so we wouldn't find ourselves in situations like we did a couple years ago when the contracts of three of four starting linebackers were expiring (Suggs was franchise-tagged, if I am not mistaken).

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    They offered Flacco 16-17 million per year, but Joe turned it down. Part of his reasoning was that he felt he was worth more, which he proved. Part of his reasoning was, because the structure of their offer would not have earned him more money for the 2012 season.

Flacco bet on himself and is now cashing out. It doesn't really happen that often. He really had Ozzie by the balls and it's the first, and probably the last time we'll ever see that happen.

Bisciotti was probably less reluctant to pay out than Ozzie. Ozzie respects Flacco and probably cares about him as a person, but behind closed doors he had to be thinking "This lucky mutha fucka".
    The last remark had me laughing.
    *laughs*

That was certainly true, and it was a calculated risk on Joe's part.

I was hoping that we would somehow influence the market by not making Joe the highest player in the league because that would likely set precedent for others. Because the QBs are being highest players, I can only imagine that it would be matter of time before other premium positions demand the same. Shit, Cary Williams thought he was worth more than 3 years and 15 mil.

I would not have much of a problem if the salary cap adjusts a bit more. I feel that the current salary cap isn't fitting anymore given the longevity of the players in the league.

Blog Entries
    I wonder what the Falcons are going to do with Mr. Ryan now?

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    Extending a player who is still under contract with a couple years left is kind of a scummy tactic. That's why no one likes how the Eagles do business.
    What's scummy about it? Not disagreeing . . . . Just curious.

Blog Entries

The one guy that is a lock to get more than Flacco is Aaron Rodgers. They got him at a discount on his first extension. Now, they are going to pay out of their ass just as much.

The intriguing guy would be Matt Ryan. If the Falcons have one of their one and done seasons, Atlanta could have a leg to stand on for not paying him more than Flacco. They actually fired their OC after the 2011 season. Ryan had Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez before Julio Jones even arrived.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Wow Flacco got paid mad chetter. I'm glad he's in bmore for a long time. I don't get the he's the highest paid player in NFL history. That overhyped imo. That title belongs to Calvin Johnson Larry Fitzgerald Adrian Peterson Mario Williams. And ppl complaining we overpaid him. A little but not ad bad as people think. But congratulations # 5!!!!

They'll undoubtedly overpay him. He's not a bad QB. In fact, his stats and Joe's stats are pretty similar. But Ryan plays indoors, and has had a stronger supporting cast, at least through the first 5 years. But Joe has a stronger arm. Pound for pound, I'd rather have Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The one guy that is a lock to get more than Flacco is Aaron Rodgers. They got him at a discount on his first extension. Now, they are going to pay out of their ass just as much.

The intriguing guy would be Matt Ryan. If the Falcons have one of their one and done seasons, Atlanta could have a leg to stand on for not paying him more than Flacco. They actually fired their OC after the 2011 season. Ryan had Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez before Julio Jones even arrived.
    And Turner.

Don't you think the Falcons will extend Ryan before the season starts? It sounds like you think they'll wait until the end of the season and then deal. I'd be surprised if they go that route. I think he'll be signed before the start of the 2013 season.

10. Flacco going to sign deal Monday

Blog Entries

That was my first thought. Either they overpay him more than flacco without the resume and look like idiots or they dont and put to rest the debate who is better. I have a feeling its less. SB MVPs always get top dollar. I think ryan is set for a down year honestly.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

The 'Highest Paid Player in NFL History' bit is overblown. It will be somebody new in another year or so.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore