Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

RSR ANNOUNCEMENT: We're going to "play" baseball!

We have debated for years whether or not to enter the world of baseball fan sites and we've finally caved. Our new site will be called EutawStreetReport.com.

Currently the site has a welcoming page and is scheduled to officially launch just before April 1.

We are equally pleased to announce with great pride that we have entered into a partnering arrangement with the premier Orioles fan site, OriolesHangout.com. Our agreement includes co-marketing, an open exchange of content and the marrying together of EutawStreetReport.com with the message board of Orioles Hangout. It is our collective opinion that this partnership will provide Orioles fans with the best experience on the web.

More details to follow but we wanted to let you all know before we release the news to the general public early next week.

Thanks for all of your support here at RSR and we hope that we'll earn equal support for ESR.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Re: RSR ANNOUNCEMENT: We're going to "play" baseball!

Tony-
    Bonne chance, mon ami!

I must be honest, I used to follow the O's religiously back inthe 60's and into the 70's, but the way the organization has been handled for so long, I've really lost interest with baseball in general. I still wish the team well, and perhaps there's a brighter future.

Hope things go well for your new project.

Congratulations!

You guys have been the hallmark for Ravens websites for some time now. It looks like you all put a lot of time and effort into it and it is much appreciated. My only concern is that your new endeavor might water both sites down a little. I am confident however, that you'll keep an eye out for that and make adjustments as needed.

IOTW, you're the best. Please keep it that way. ;)

Thanks for all you do.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

4. Re: RSR ANNOUNCEMENT: We're going to "play" baseball!

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    We have debated for years whether or not to enter the world of baseball fan sites and we've finally caved. Our new site will be called EutawStreetReport.com.

Currently the site has a welcoming page and is scheduled to officially launch just before April 1.

We are equally pleased to announce with great pride that we have entered into a partnering arrangement with the premier Orioles fan site, OriolesHangout.com. Our agreement includes co-marketing, an open exchange of content and the marrying together of EutawStreetReport.com with the message board of Orioles Hangout. It is our collective opinion that this partnership will provide Orioles fans with the best experience on the web.

More details to follow but we wanted to let you all know before we release the news to the general public early next week.

Thanks for all of your support here at RSR and we hope that we'll earn equal support for ESR.
    I'm new to the forum, but your football site has been bookmarked for a while and I've been meaning to get in on some of the Ravens talk. Some folks may remember me from the old Baltimore Sun (pre-paywall) Ravens forum and elsewhere. The more non-paywall options we have for news articles and forums, the better.

So, it's great to see that you all are expanding to Orioles baseball also. I don't think there really *is* a strong Orioles forum out there that doesn't have some sort of paywall or another. The Sun's paywall is pretty much straight forward after 15 page views each month. Orioles Hangout makes you pay for the forum after hitting 500 posts (and blocks off some articles from the get-go). Not to seem like a cheapskate (Though I'm sure to some I do), but I'm lower cost economically and paying for a forum just isn't in the cards- too many expenses, and, honestly, for entertainment value, I'd be happier with some music, a book, or whatever (Or, you know, paying a television bill and watching the games themselves ;) ). But I'm happy to post on ad-supported forums. This could fill an important niche.

Anyhow, what prompted me to register and post was not only to congratulate you all on this new venture, though you deserve congratulations, and I hope it succeeds, but to ask that you reconsider your association with Orioles Hangout. I echo the concern raised about having two sites share resources potentially watering them down. Beyond that, though, it also means the sites could offer less distinct point of views. The Orioles Hangout has generally been an Angelos kiss-butt site. I hope the Eutaw Street site doesn't follow suite with that- we could use a site that can be critical of the team and it's management when warranted.

One thing you'll find is that a lot of us have been banned from the Orioles Hangout over the years simply because we were critical of Angelos and the mods didn't like it. It's post deletion central over there. The guy who owns it runs it like his own little dictatorship, and if you express opinions he doesn't like, they disappear. If you question him, you disappear. It's just a message forum and a fan site, so I try to keep it in perspective, but it's not a site I'm interesting in supporting in any way. I won't even click a link to read a free article over there anymore.

There are a ton of people who have had run-ins with the owner and the other mods over there over the years and been banned, or simply left in disgust. Just as a basic strategy thing, I think you'd be better off casting yourselves as the free alternate to his site- free as in no-cost, and free as in more free speech on the forums. Also, more open- open to differing opinions (Both in articles and on the forums), and more open about moderating decisions and how they're made.

The new site is an exciting potential alternative to the Orioles Hangout, but the association with the Orioles Hangout gets it off on the wrong foot, in my opinion. A lot of people have negative associations with it that could carry over in terms of their impression of your new site, and create concern about an Orioles Hangout mentality and way of running things carrying over to the site as well, and even filtering over to the football side of things. There is a great deal of well-earned animosity toward the Orioles Hangout. It has a bad name in many parts of the Baltimore sports fan community.
    Last edited by CharmCityCrab; 03-01-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CharmCityCrab View Post
    I'm new to the forum, but your football site has been bookmarked for a while and I've been meaning to get in on some of the Ravens talk. Some folks may remember me from the old Baltimore Sun (pre-paywall) Ravens forum and elsewhere. The more non-paywall options we have for news articles and forums, the better.

So, it's great to see that you all are expanding to Orioles baseball also. I don't think there really *is* a strong Orioles forum out there that doesn't have some sort of paywall or another. The Sun's paywall is pretty much straight forward after 15 page views each month. Orioles Hangout makes you pay for the forum after hitting 500 posts (and blocks off some articles from the get-go). Not to seem like a cheapskate (Though I'm sure to some I do), but I'm lower cost economically and paying for a forum just isn't in the cards- too many expenses, and, honestly, for entertainment value, I'd be happier with some music, a book, or whatever (Or, you know, paying a television bill and watching the games themselves ;) ). But I'm happy to post on ad-supported forums. This could fill an important niche.

Anyhow, what prompted me to register and post was not only to congratulate you all on this new venture, though you deserve congratulations, and I hope it succeeds, but to ask that you reconsider your association with Orioles Hangout. I echo the concern raised about having two sites share resources potentially watering them down. Beyond that, though, it also means the sites could offer less distinct point of views. The Orioles Hangout has generally been an Angelos kiss-butt site. I hope the Eutaw Street site doesn't follow suite with that- we could use a site that can be critical of the team and it's management when warranted.

One thing you'll find is that a lot of us have been banned from the Orioles Hangout over the years simply because we were critical of Angelos and the mods didn't like it. It's post deletion central over there. The guy who owns it runs it like his own little dictatorship, and if you express opinions he doesn't like, they disappear. If you question him, you disappear. It's just a message forum and a fan site, so I try to keep it in perspective, but it's not a site I'm interesting in supporting in any way. I won't even click a link to read a free article over there anymore.

There are a ton of people who have had run-ins with the owner and the other mods over there over the years and been banned, or simply left in disgust. Just as a basic strategy thing, I think you'd be better off casting yourselves as the free alternate to his site- free as in no-cost, and free as in more free speech on the forums. Also, more open- open to differing opinions (Both in articles and on the forums), and more open about moderating decisions and how they're made.

The new site is an exciting potential alternative to the Orioles Hangout, but the association with the Orioles Hangout gets it off on the wrong foot, in my opinion. A lot of people have negative associations with it that could carry over in terms of their impression of your new site, and create concern about an Orioles Hangout mentality and way of running things carrying over to the site as well, and even filtering over to the football side of things. There is a great deal of well-earned animosity toward the Orioles Hangout. It has a bad name in many parts of the Baltimore sports fan community.
    My guess: You took your experiences and maybe a story you heard from another 2 or 3 posters and extrapolated to make extreme statements.

I've been visiting the Hangout for a couple years now, it's an outstanding site and couldn't have a better reputation or moderating team. Extremely well run with very knowledgable fans.

You're just flat out wrong. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but you're completely incorrect about the way the OH is perceived. Nobody in Baltimore likes Peter Angelos, but some new poster shows up over there once a month or so and tends to bring him up 2-3 times a day as if there's some new revelation that he sucks. They don't consider the notion that Angelos Sucks has been discussed over and over again for over a decade. It's tiresome, repetitive, and annoying.

The fact that the OH receives more traffic than any other baseball MB I've ever seen is also evidence that you're making completely ridiculous generalizations.

6. Re: RSR ANNOUNCEMENT: We're going to "play" baseball!

Quote Originally Posted by Crabcake View Post
    My guess: You took your experiences and maybe a story you heard from another 2 or 3 posters and extrapolated to make extreme statements.
    Well, I won't claim to have taken a scientific survey, but I remember a few threads over on the Sun site some years ago where what seemed like a lot more than 2 or 3 people talked about their bad experiences with Orioles Hangout. Many mentioned having been banned. Many of these same posters were folks who I felt posted very interesting on-topic things to the Sun Orioles forum.

I've been visiting the Hangout for a couple years now, it's an outstanding site and couldn't have a better reputation or moderating team. Extremely well run with very knowledgable fans.

You're just flat out wrong. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but you're completely incorrect about the way the OH is perceived. Nobody in Baltimore likes Peter Angelos, but some new poster shows up over there once a month or so and tends to bring him up 2-3 times a day as if there's some new revelation that he sucks. They don't consider the notion that Angelos Sucks has been discussed over and over again for over a decade. It's tiresome, repetitive, and annoying.

The fact that the OH receives more traffic than any other baseball MB I've ever seen is also evidence that you're making completely ridiculous generalizations.
    Baltimore is fanatical about baseball and there is only one really active Orioles message forum, on a site that gets all kinds of media promotion, so of course that forum is active. They also have or at least had a game who did a pretty good game recap for every game, which is rare for a fan site and probably drove some traffic to the forum.

However, none of those things make it a good forum in and of themselves. They just explain why a lot of people show up there. If you live in a town with a lot of people who love hamburgers, and the local radio station promotes a hamburger place and there are billboards up, and it's the only place in town, it'll probably get a lot of regular customers to show up whether the actual burgers they serve are any good or not (Within reason, anyhow).

I actually had spent years there on and off. I wasn't enough of a regular to have hit 500 posts, but I was getting close when I got banned, I think. So it's not like I showed up there for five minutes and made an assessment.

Now, I know the place has it's fans. If people happen to mostly agree with the owner's opinions and/or the way he runs things, it might seem great. However, there are definitely people who really, really don't agree with him or the way he runs things. They don't visit, are prevented from visiting due to having been banned, and/or do visit but wish there was somewhere with a better or different atmosphere that they could click over to instead of or in addition to OH. That leaves room for an alternative, right? The Sun was that, but killed their forum off by putting it behind a pay wall.

So, it's exciting to see a new place about to pop up that's being backed by a thriving Ravens site and forum community. It could be great! But if you tie it too much into OH, it'll just be liked by the same people as OH, who'll view it as second-rate, and disliked by the same people who dislike OH, who won't view it at all. You want to be different.

Even people who like OH would mostly probably want a second site, if they are interested in a second site at all, to be distinct and offer different things in terms of the type of articles run and the way the forums are managed, I'd imagine. Why be Orioles Hangout #2 when You can be Eutaw Street Report #1?

Just my 2 cents.

I have an account on both sites. Am I going to explode?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    We ... have entered into a partnering arrangement with ... OriolesHangout.com. Our agreement includes co-marketing, an open exchange of content and the marrying together of EutawStreetReport.com with the message board of Orioles Hangout. It is our collective opinion that this partnership will provide Orioles fans with the best experience on the web.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharmCityCrab View Post
    ...The more non-paywall options we have for news articles and forums, the better.

...I don't think there really *is* a strong Orioles forum out there that doesn't have some sort of paywall or another. ... Orioles Hangout makes you pay for the forum after hitting 500 posts (and blocks off some articles from the get-go). ... But I'm happy to post on ad-supported forums. This could fill an important niche.

Anyhow, what prompted me to register and post was not only to congratulate you all on this new venture, ... but to ask that you reconsider your association with Orioles Hangout. ... The Orioles Hangout has generally been an Angelos kiss-butt site...a lot of us have been banned from the Orioles Hangout over the years simply because we were critical of Angelos and the mods didn't like it. ...

There are a ton of people who have had run-ins with the owner and the other mods over there over the years and been banned, or simply left in disgust. ... There is a great deal of well-earned animosity toward the Orioles Hangout. It has a bad name in many parts of the Baltimore sports fan community.
    Tony,

This give&take raises a couple of questions re the new ESR site, & IMHO the time to address them is before the ribbon-cutting.

First, what exactly does "the marrying together of EutawStreetReport.com with the message board of Orioles Hangout" mean?

One would think that any thread or post put up by a registered user of either site will appear on the message board of the other (or a message board common to both--not sure if there is a distinction there).

Who provides the moderation? ESR, OH, or a collective of the two?

Are mods from one site entitled to delete something posted by someone registered on the other site? If they so choose, is the material deleted only from their site's board (or the board as seen when someone accesses it through their site) or is it removed from both versions?

What would happen if a mod from (or owner of) one site deleted material that the mods (or owner) of the other site thought should remain? Who makes the final decision?

How about banning? Suppose a poster registered on ESR has become so consistently annoying to the OH mods/owner of the other that the latter imposes a complete ban on anything of theirs appearing on OH. Would the material continue to appear on ESR or would it disappear there as well? Would the member be automatically banned from ESR as well? If not, would you at ESR acquiesce to a request from OH to have a particular member banned from ESR?

Suppose a member of ESR wanted to see the profile of someone from OH posting on a thread of interest. Would s/he need to sign up over at OH (& sign in thru there) to do so? How about sending a PM--how would that work?

I would very much like to see how you & the OH dude propose to work this out. Frankly, I do not see how two message boards could be "married" without all kinds of problems unless it is in fact one board with one set of moderators and one final authority. In which case, if even a small part of CharmCityCrab's statements have merit, in your shoes I would think twice over allowing someone from OH to regulate the message board that appears on my site. Myself, I would not be particularly interested in participating in a board "moderated" for the greater glory of the meddling imbecile multimillionaire !@#!&*!#*&^%!@*&#!!! who pretty much singlehandedly turned the once-proud Os into the laughingstock of MLB.

And this is separate from the pricing questions. Suppose someone from OH hit the 500-post maximum, sidled over to ESR & registered, & continued posting under something like "Formerly XXX of OH"? Would OH have the right to ban her/him from both versions (or the single "married" version) of the board unilaterally? Could the OH owner demand that you ban the new ESR poster because he's not paying over at OH? (A cyberspatial Dred Scott situation if ever I heard of one...) Or would OH just impose its limit & demand payment for the 501st post--even if the poster is registered at ESR & not OH?

I am hoping that you've put the thought necessary to address or finesse such questions into this arrangement, & I hope you will share with us the mechanics of how this is supposed to work.

Tony Pente posted on OH that the rules for OH will remain the same. I'm assuming that includes paying after your first 500 posts.

I hope it works out, but I have my doubts. I've witnessed the crap that Pente has pulled over the years. What he did last year with Greg Bader was one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

10. Re: RSR ANNOUNCEMENT: We're going to "play" baseball!

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    Tony Pente posted on OH that the rules for OH will remain the same. I'm assuming that includes paying after your first 500 posts.

I hope it works out, but I have my doubts. I've witnessed the crap that Pente has pulled over the years. What he did last year with Greg Bader was one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen.
    Further reading:

http://russellstreetreport.com/forum...at-the-Hangout

Will this site turn into a pay message board? Will we have to pay to post at the new partnership OH board?

Quote Originally Posted by helloharv View Post
    Will this site turn into a pay message board? Will we have to pay to post at the new partnership OH board?
    I will get confirmation on the OH board and the associated charges from Tony Pente. As for this board, business as usual. You will always be FREE to move about the "cabin."
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi