Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Steeler restructures---committing cap suicide

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    Everybody starts at 0-0. I expect that the Steelers will be in the fight. I would like to think otherwise, but I do not see the evidence to support it.
    The evidence is their #1 WR will be gone, their TE blew out his knee, their top defensive players are a year older and their RBs suck.

Could they rise above all of that? Sure. But there is a decent amount of evidence to foresee a tough season ahead, especially with increased competition within the conference.

on paper cincy is the team to beat. they seem to have a georgia connection like we have an alabama connection. they have a very young and talented team. we need them to give pissburg problems like cincy gives us problems. hopefully they broke the ice going forwrd wiht their win in pissburg last year in a meaningful game.

iggyman555 Guest

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-in-cap-space/

As expected, the Steelers have restructured quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s contract. As not expected, they’ve done the deal at a time when doing so will help the Ravens reduce the exclusive franchise tender to their own franchise quarterback, Joe Flacco.

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Roethlisberger has restructured his contract to create $3 million in cap space.

As recently explained, the Steelers could have cleared up to $7.1 million. But that would have pushed his future cap numbers even higher.

The move drops Ben’s 2013 cap number from $19.6 million to $16.6 million. And that takes him out of the top five quarterback cap numbers for 2013.

Ben is replaced by Philip Rivers and his $17.1 million cap number. Which drops the exclusive franchise tender to $19.134 million, saving $500,000 for the Ravens, if they choose to use the exclusive tag on Flacco.

This week, the Ravens have seen the exclusive franchise number fall more than $1.3 million, via the new Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger contracts. If both teams had waited until March 5 to do the deals, the Ravens would have been forced to tender Flacco at $20.464 million.

It could be that both teams believe that the Ravens will opt to go non-exclusive, which is expected to result in a cap number of $14.6 million. Regardless, the gap between the two numbers is now more than $1.3 million smaller.

i'm not advocating anyone dying here but after Jimmy Johnson passed away from cancer as the Eagles DC the teams defense went south quickly with basically the same talent. sooner or later dick lebeau is going to get a life and retire. he's 75. lebeau has been the squealers competitve advantage for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 502 Raven View Post
    . lebeau has been the squealers competitve advantage for a while.
    Couldn't agree more.

Lebeau does look in great shape/condition for a man approaching 80.

Blog Entries

Same ol same ol. Steelers system works for them, just a different philosophy than the Ravens. They will be competitive as always I'm sure.

Blog Entries

They find a way to beat us - even with Charlie Batch. Never count Pissburgh out when it comes to us. They hate us and always bring their A game no matter who is playing.

Althought I look forward to their inevitable decline I will not count out the steelers until I see them struggling to compete on the field. It boggles the mind how much restructuring they've done in the last few years. Sooner or later they are going to fall apart at the seams but for this upcoming season I'm not sure that's going to happen.
    Other than needing to get under the cap, this rush to free up cap space is probably driven by their desire to sign Steve Breaston and resign Keenan Lewis

Blog Entries

They are in cap trouble for sure, Lebeau always gives them the edge because the D can out play the mid-level teams and pull out the wins.
    The issue is the depth. Don't like to look at the past, but it is hard to ignore the injuries to Ben, Troy and usually another starter throughout the past few years. When was the last time Ben played a full season or without injuries, same goes for Troy. They have a lot of money wrapped up in guys that have been battling injuries.

We had some bad injuries last year, but our FO played the cards right and were able to find some key FA's and we had good depth that made the difference.
    I for one will not count them out, because it always seems like they catch some favorable breaks during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    They find a way to beat us - even with Charlie Batch. Never count Pissburgh out when it comes to us. They hate us and always bring their A game no matter who is playing.
    But that was with a team that had just restructured half of their salaries and pushed them forward. Of coarse their team was supposed to be strong that year. The question is how will it be when all of those players are too old to play, and they're owed what they should have payed them years ago.

While we cannot count them out for 2013, they are not trending up. I believe they will still have a tough time cap-wise for 2014 as well, so they really need to hit big in the draft and internal improvements and with preventing injuries and speedy recovery from injuries. They are also losing their #1 WR, which is a big loss for their 2013 team, not to mention Heath Miller will likely miss a lot of time in 2013 while he recovers from torn ACL and MCL late last season. They can be playoff contenders but it seems 10-6 seems to be about their upper limit. The 2014 prospects may not look better. The division is getting much better as Cincy is young and already a playoff team for 2 years in a row now. Cleveland was looking better towards the second half of the season and has some young talent too. While we can't count the Steelers out, their future is not looking bright going forward compared to the rest of the division.