Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Brady's new deal could potentially help the Ravens, lower exclusive tag $$

Typical negotiations really - deadlines spur action.

Let's just hope that both side see March 4th/March 12th as the real deadline, not April 20th or July 15th.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I know I go through this every offseason but...

WHY THE HELL DOES THIS TEAM DRAG OUR HEELS?!

We waited until last Friday to have our FIRST meeting with Linta. And that was admittedly just an "introductory" meeting. They had no intention of getting a deal done then, it was basically a checkin between Moriarty and Linta.

So now, today, they will meet for 2nd time...with 5 days left to get a deal done.

Nice use of time...I was optimistic we'd get a deal done, but JFC, waiting until 5 days before tag deadline to even really START negotiating?
    :word

I love this organization, its arguably one of the best run sports teams in the world, but this is just stupid. They did this with Ray Rice last year too, waited till the last year of his deal when he was CLEARLY pro bowl quality, and they waited and used the tag when we could have bought in some better players last year had we got Rice done before March. I really don't understand WHY they wait till the combine to discuss this with five fucking days left, what exactly did they get done down in Florida other than Ozzie and DeCosta playing golf against each other in the sun!!!!

Love them, but man its frustrating.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post

Let's just hope that both side see March 4th/March 12th as the real deadline, not April 20th or July 15th.
    That's the thing. Most of the time one side (or both) don't think the other is serious until there is no more time.

What's agreed to by whatever deadline might not be different than what they are discussing now.

Blog Entries

At this point, re-signing both Flacco and Ellerbe would be a success.

We waited until last Friday to have our FIRST meeting with Linta. And that was admittedly just an "introductory" meeting. They had no intention of getting a deal done then, it was basically a checkin between Moriarty and Linta.

So now, today, they will meet for 2nd time...with 5 days left to get a deal done.

Nice use of time...I was optimistic we'd get a deal done, but JFC, waiting until 5 days before tag deadline to even really START negotiating?
    All I can say is "in Ozzie we trust". There's wisdom unknown to us why our FO operates the way they do. If it's not broke then don't fix it. Ozzie's track record is pretty solid so I say give him a chance to do his thing.

Article 10, Section 2(g) of the CBA states:

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/...-2011-2020.pdf

So, again, once (if) the exclusive tag is placed on Flacco, any renegotiation after that isn't of consequence to the exclusive tender amount. Meaning, they need Ben and Stafford to get it done before Monday, assuming the Ravens wait until the last minute to use the Tag.
    Thanks, I knew from experience you were right.

I say this every off-season: it takes 2 to tango. How do we know the Ravens didn't call Linta the day after the Super Bowl and he was the reason for the delay? It is as if people assume that agents are sitting by their phone waiting for the Ravens to call so that they can rush over to Owings Mills and sign whatever deal is presented. Negotiations don't have to be face-to-face, and sometimes the agent is just as slow as the Ravens. As Ravor said, it gets drawn out to the last minute because they want to give their client every opportunity to squeeze a little bit more out of the negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    All I can say is "in Ozzie we trust". There's wisdom unknown to us why our FO operates the way they do. If it's not broke then don't fix it. Ozzie's track record is pretty solid so I say give him a chance to do his thing.
    Exactly. And one of Ozzie's principals (maybe from his day as a player) is to as much as possible, let a player (and his agent) find his true market value. Has this resulted in them paying more than if they had perhaps pushed for a deal earlier? Perhaps. But you can also overpay by doing a deal too early, too (had they signed Bart Scott, for instance). So it somewhat evens out. And if Newsome gets the reputation of a GM that consistently gets players to sign to below-market deals, that isn't exactly a formula for attracting free agents (or retaining current players) in the future.

IIRC, Bisciotti already said there's no rush as far as he's concerned and that it very well might run until June before it gets worked out.

Blog Entries

Funny it's contagious. Now Drew Brees is redoing his deal. LOL. It's a trend now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    Funny it's contagious. Now Drew Brees is redoing his deal. LOL. It's a trend now.
    with the cap being relatively flat, teams have to figure out how to push the inevitable out until they do get some cap space. sometimes the strategy backfires

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    Brady, Roethlisberger, Stafford, and now Brees? What I get out of this is in order to compete, one player can not eat up 1/6th of a teams CAP space. It would not surprise me to if a few others also restructure. Eli?

After next year the Broncos will have many free agents and I can't see them keeping a contract for an old player over signing young talent. This will be Manning's last year and he won't carry any dead money past that.

Joe's negotiation is infuriating. Get the damn thing done soon, before we lose free agents.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Brady, Roethlisberger, Stafford, and now Brees? What I get out of this is in order to compete, one player can not eat up 1/6th of a teams CAP space. It would not surprise me to if a few others also restructure. Eli?

After next year the Broncos will have many free agents and I can't see them keeping a contract for an old player over signing young talent. This will be Manning's last year and he won't carry any dead money past that.

Joe's negotiation is infuriating. Get the damn thing done soon, before we lose free agents.
    Well, with these restructures, those players are going to account for more than a sixth of the team's cap next year and the year following.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore