Blog Entries

New Orleans a belated thank you to Mista T, HoustonRaven and NOLARavenfan.

Gentleman, immediately after winning the Super Bowl I had to get back to Baltimore, and get ready to visit my son who is teaching English for the year in China, so I have been out of the country since the Super Bowl. I know this is a little late, but I want to thank you and all the members of this board for all the great information about how to get around and enjoy the City of New Orleans.

The City and the people of New Orleans were as great as advertised; kind, funny, welcoming, and all of them Raven fans ( at least for Super Bowl week). We spent several nights with the owners and patrons of Finn McCools in Mid-City. What a wonderful group of folks. They made us feel welcome in NOLA, and especially in their pub. Many of our group did not have tickets to the game, so they watched it from McCools with the folks in the neighborhood, and had an absolute blast. It was much better than watching it in a crowded bar in the French Quarter.

I had never been to New Orleans before but after this trip, I will make it a point to visit NOLA in the future.

Thanks again for the great advice, and by all means please stop by and visit Stephen and Pauline and the gang at McCools. Hopefully we can meet up together with them next February in the swamps of Jersey.

And even though I missed the parade, I did get a chance to share some Ravens love with my son at the "East Wing" of Ravens nation.

with ravensflag.jpg

Re: New Orleans a belated thank you to Mista T, HoustonRaven and NOLARavenfan.

Didn't make it to the SB but I went to NOLA for a game in '06. i know firsthand that all the good stuff you say about the people there is absolutely true.

Glad you enjoyed it and glad the folks here helped you out. I also want to give you props for the pic with your son on the Great Wall. That is just OUTSTANDING my man!
    Way to reperesent! :respect
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Wow, Awesome picture!
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

I too greatly appreciated the NOLA advice. I parked at the end of Canal Street, near the large cemeteries, and had EZ and inexpensive transit to the site of the game on the street car. Learned about this from the pre-SB posts.

Great photo, Ed!

Blog Entries

This was the best advice we got. We parked near the pub at the end of the streetcar line, and took the Canal St car line into the City all weekend. No parking hassles, no fees, great area of the City. I thought the above ground cemeteries were really interesting. They reminded me of the cemetery in Key West, only much bigger.

No need to thank me.

NOLARavenFan deserves all the thanks!

On Saturday, we weren't allowed to park at the Art Museum due to a private function, so we street parked for the Canal Street streetcar. I did have a Ravens magnet lifted from the rental car, but you have to expect petty theft in New Orleans. It's part of the lifestyle. Due to the traffic nightmare on lower Canal, which affected even the streetcars, we took an alternate route on game-day per my Bartataria-based friend's advice: free ferry across the Mississippi River from Algiers to Canal Street, then transfer to the brand new streetcar from lower Canal to the Superdome. It worked perfectly, both ways, for $.80 r/t!

Ed: Glad to be of help. Just for the others who may think I act like a "know-it-all" ... I do! :grbac: I lived in New Orleans for three years, attending many Archie Manning-led Saints games. And I frequently travel there on business/social, attending Saints games if not conflicting with Ravens TV games. Three Ravens games in New Orlans which we have attended: the exhibition game two nights before Katrina, the regular season game on Halloween 2006, and the Super Bowl.

:T2:
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Hey, no problem, the whole experience was a dream come true.....there is something very special going on with the Ravens fans.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ed from Bel Air View Post
    Gentleman, immediately after winning the Super Bowl I had to get back to Baltimore, and get ready to visit my son who is teaching English for the year in China, so I have been out of the country since the Super Bowl. I know this is a little late, but I want to thank you and all the members of this board for all the great information about how to get around and enjoy the City of New Orleans.

The City and the people of New Orleans were as great as advertised; kind, funny, welcoming, and all of them Raven fans ( at least for Super Bowl week). We spent several nights with the owners and patrons of Finn McCools in Mid-City. What a wonderful group of folks. They made us feel welcome in NOLA, and especially in their pub. Many of our group did not have tickets to the game, so they watched it from McCools with the folks in the neighborhood, and had an absolute blast. It was much better than watching it in a crowded bar in the French Quarter.

I had never been to New Orleans before but after this trip, I will make it a point to visit NOLA in the future.

Thanks again for the great advice, and by all means please stop by and visit Stephen and Pauline and the gang at McCools. Hopefully we can meet up together with them next February in the swamps of Jersey.

And even though I missed the parade, I did get a chance to share some Ravens love with my son at the "East Wing" of Ravens nation.

with ravensflag.jpg
    Fantastic pic of the "Great Wall of Ravens!" I'd like to meet up next February, when the Ravens fans celebrate back-to-back Super Bowl victories... Bc