Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I really like him.

I've been reading that he is a RT only, but with his athletic ability, I see no reason why he can't eventually be at LT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Re: Ravens met with Florida State OT - Menelik Watson from England

Apologies for hijacking a Menelik Watson thread, but this is sort of related- What do people think about English Linebacker from Oklahoma, Tom Wort. He seems a little undersized but could be a good project in the vein of Watson, and in a position of need. Particularly if we don't take one of the higher rater inside linebackers like Minter or T'eo.

Although I don't watch much college football as I'm usually out and about on Saturday evenings, from what I have seen he's very good in run defence (which we all know was a weakness for the Ravens last season), but playing in the Big 12, he's also had to improve his pass coverage. I'd love to take him in a low round, but no idea what's a realistic expectation.

I know our draft position forces our hand somewhat, but do we really want another developmental project guy? I think I'd rather take average but consistent at this point, we haven't had too many "projects" shake out well recently
    "Flacco stepping up and throwing deep down the far sideline... CAUGHT!!! Into the endzone, TOUCHDOWN JACOBY JONES!!!!!"

Arm length?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    Arm length?
    34.08"

Not too bad.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    34.08"

Not too bad.
    I was going to say "Not too good."

I'm sure you can find 15 examples of good LTs going back a decade or 2 who had as short arms or shorter, but 34.5" is the starting point as far as I am concerned.

The Ravens don't need another RT that they hope will become a LT.
    Last edited by Filmstudy; 02-25-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    That's a pass at LT.

I'm sure you can find 15 examples of good LTs going back a decade or 2 who had as short arms or shorter, but 34.5" is the starting point as far as I am concerned.

The Ravens don't need another RT that they hope will become a LT.
    :word

There aren't too many guys in this draft that meet that profile...(at least that we have a shot at...so no Lane Johnson, Eric Fisher, or Luke Joeckel)

Alvin Bailey, Arkansas, 6'3" 312lbs, 34.68"
    Nick Becton, Virginia Tech, 6'6" 323lbs, 35.48"
    Travis Bond, UNC, 6'6" 320lbs, 35.48"
    Chris Faulk, LSU, 6'5" 331lbs, 34.3"
    Roger Gaines, Tennessee State, 6'6" 334lbs, 36.28"
    Luke Marquardt, Azusa Pacific, 6'8" 315lbs, 34.5"
    David Quessenbary, San Jose St, 6'5" 304lbs, 34.4"

I like Quessenbary a lot. I think he has nice footwork, but he is pretty raw.

Marquardt and Nick Becton are kind of dark horse prospects.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    :word

There aren't too many guys in this draft that meet that profile...(at least that we have a shot at...so no Lane Johnson, Eric Fisher, or Luke Joeckel)

Alvin Bailey, Arkansas, 6'3" 312lbs, 34.68"
    Nick Becton, Virginia Tech, 6'6" 323lbs, 35.48"
    Travis Bond, UNC, 6'6" 320lbs, 35.48"
    Chris Faulk, LSU, 6'5" 331lbs, 34.3"
    Roger Gaines, Tennessee State, 6'6" 334lbs, 36.28"
    Luke Marquardt, Azusa Pacific, 6'8" 315lbs, 34.5"
    David Quessenbary, San Jose St, 6'5" 304lbs, 34.4"

I like Quessenbary a lot. I think he has nice footwork, but he is pretty raw.

Marquardt and Nick Becton are kind of dark horse prospects.
    I would personally add Terron Armstead and David Bakhtiari to that list even if both have only 34" flat arms. The longer the arm length the better, but IMO it's more of a "necessary but not sufficient" quality. You're going to have real trouble if you've got 32" T-Rex arms, but 34" and change is average in the NFL and adequate when combined with good hands. Armstead and Bakhtiari both have good hands with room to improve in that respect as well.

Joe Thomas has 33 3/4" arms, but his hand speed, placement, and technique are textbook and that's why he's the best pass protector in the NFL. Joe Staley and Duane Brown are also right around 34" IIRC and those are 2 other guys with phenomenal use of hands. The ideal is still both 36" arms AND great hands but you can't have the ideal all the time.

What about Ricky Wagner from Wisconsin? I've seen such varying opinions on him. Some of the draft sights I saw have him as a mid-to-late 2nd rounder and think he can play an adequate/above average LT in the NFL. Others have him as a 3rd-4th rounder and as a RT only.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    What about Ricky Wagner from Wisconsin? I've seen such varying opinions on him. Some of the draft sights I saw have him as a mid-to-late 2nd rounder and think he can play an adequate/above average LT in the NFL. Others have him as a 3rd-4th rounder and as a RT only.
    I don't think his college tape is very impressive and he had a very bad Senior Bowl week. That led me to believe he was a RT prospect only and unworthy of higher than a 3rd or 4th. His measurables don't wow you but they're acceptable apart from the bench press, 6'6 308 34" arms, 5.17 40 w/1.77 split, 20 BP reps. He looked okay in the field work. He's just "meh" to me.

He's one of those guys IMO that has solid technique and major athletic limitations. If I were an NFL talent evaluator and could get a feel for his work ethic and intelligence those would be the characteristics that would really sway me to be interested or to pass. There are plenty of guys like him that got passed over for better athletes, yet proved to be better pro's, so I'm always wary to write a guy off. At this point I have him pegged basically as a swing tackle who's better at RT but could play LT in a pinch. Lean more toward 3rd-4th.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Yeah, I don't think he is a LT at all.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

DJ Fluker has like 37 inch arms, the guy is a monster. I have him now going to the bears though.