Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Strategy for first round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    How does King look on PFF?... b/c he looked really bad in 2-3 games by my eye.
    they actually rank him betterthen McKinnie, and obviously better then Oher by a quite wide margin.

Blog Entries

There are reports swirling that 49ers are telling other teams that Alex Smith deal is all but finalized with a team, can't announce until 3/12.

Jaguars via txt told Jason LaCanfora "Not us", so many are assuming it's KC.

That could change our strategy for 1st pick...if KC traded for him, less likely they take a QB pick after us. Also, that could be what they traded to San Fran for him.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Guess it depends on who is there, who they value and what they need to get it done.....
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

I think this is actually good for us. This pushes the QBs down the board, with teams still trying to get into the first round for one. This betters Ozzie's chances of getting somebody good in the first.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Jaguars via txt told Jason LaCanfora "Not us", so many are assuming it's KC.
    What if it's the Jets? That would be entertaining.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Interesting. You think Revis could be in play if that's the move?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Guess it depends on who is there, who they value and what they need to get it done.....
    DeCosta usually talks about "blue chip" prospects who are worth going up to get. And he usually puts a number on it as about 15 players within this elite category. I have not heard anyone yet this year offer an opinion on where the cut off is, but assuming it's 15 guys, it seems very unlikely to me that there is a player who will be within striking distance for the Ravens in the first round.

So that's where I am coming from when I predict that trading up is not likely, nor is it necessary when the positions they are likely to look at, DT and OT, are well stocked through the first two or three rounds. When a position is well stocked that means there will be players down into a later round who would in most years go in the first round. That being the case this year, why wouldn't you trade back and pick up a first round talent with a second round pick and still have a shot at another one of these guys in exchange for your troubles? To me, the stars are perfectly aligned for them trading back.

Look back at past drafts, and imagine the Ravens having the last pick in the first round. It's easy to fall in love with a player like Torrey Smith or Ray Rice or Kelechi Osemele and convince yourself to go ahead and pick them there, and you would have been right -- these guys proved they are talented enough to have been selected at the end of the first round. But that doesn't make it right to pick them there, not when you now know they were still there to select in the second round.

It's too good a bet not to think the next Smith/Rice/Osemele will be waiting for them in the second round -- maybe two of these players if they play their cards right.
    Last edited by Shas; 02-25-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Interesting. You think Revis could be in play if that's the move?
    I didn't even think of that. Considering how the 49rs DBs were exposed in the playoffs, it makes it even more interesting. I don't know how to even evaluate that deal. Smith and a second rounder for Revis?

I think the 49rs were right at the cap ceiling, but moving Smith would clear $8 mil or so. I don't know if they could afford Revis without making more moves.

I actually think Alex Smith would fit in more as the Jets QB than Andy Reid.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I didn't even think of that. Considering how the 49rs DBs were exposed in the playoffs, it makes it even more interesting. I don't know how to even evaluate that deal. Smith and a second rounder for Revis?
    Highway robbery for the 49ers.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Highway robbery for the 49ers.
    You're right, but as I said, I don't know what a fair deal would be. Both teams would be helping each other cap-wise, and I could see the Jets putting a decent value on Smith. Still, I agree it seems like a better deal for the niners. Actually, getting anything for Smith is a great deal. They already have four picks in the first three rounds if I recall correctly and this would make it five; plus they get cap room by moving Smith.

Blog Entries

Alex Smith is reportedly going to KC, not the Jets
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Yeah, we were just speculating about how interesting it would be if it were the Jets. Although the reports I was hearing were pretty weak and mostly consisted of Scott Pioli guessing what KC would have had to give up if KC did trade for him.

LaCanfora's tweet, which I think is the original source, goes like this...

so it's not official, both clubs view it at as it's effectively done. I do not know the other team. KC and JAX are 2 teams that make sense
    And then reported Jacksonville tweeted, "it's not us." Seems like a weak confirmation that it's KC. Although it's probably KC anyway.

Blog Entries

I don't think the Jets could afford Alex Smith.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I don't think the Jets could afford Alex Smith.
    Not to continue the baseless speculation but it's being reported they are trying to restructure Cromartie. If they trade Revis, he had signed a four-year $32 mil guaranteed deal in 2010 -- so there is cap savings if that happened. And there was the rumor they were shopping him. Just saying.