Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Strategy for first round pick.

Draft Arthur brown.

With such a deep draft for lineman, both offensive and defensive, I can see Ozzie trading back into the 2nd and acquiring more picks. Since we'll have a ton of comp picks, I can see him using our regular picks as ammunition to move up or down in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds to find "their" kind of guys to fill holes in the roster. Lets face it, 2012 was absolute monster of a draft for Eric and Ozzie. I unless they whiff totally in 2013, I can it being a very good draft.

I agree with the possibility, even likelihood, that someone will want to trade with the Ravens to try to jump in front of KC's 1st pick in 2nd round. Or do so to pick up a QB sitting out there still at that point. More picks in middle rounds is where the FO makes its hay.
    BTW- concerning Te'o- do you really think Ozzie will be that interested in him- early on, anyway- given how poorly he played against his alma mater?
    And the Beatdown goes on.......

Blog Entries

If they're not in love with a player that's there at 32, or that they think will be there, I can see them trading back. As you stated, it's become common. They obviously don't need more picks this year but getting picks for future years is always a good thing.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark&Stormy View Post
    BTW- concerning Te'o- do you really think Ozzie will be that interested in him- early on, anyway- given how poorly he played against his alma mater?
    I don't know what to make of Te'o. He clearly stunk in the championship game, so I am not enthusiastic about him. I didn't see enough of him to know if he was overhyped as a Notre Dame guy or if he was thrown off his game one time because of the scandal. If I am guessing I will say someone else take him earlier but Ozzie passes if he's still there. Look at the success they've had with undrafted inside linebackers -- McCain, Ellerbe, Bynes, Scott, McClellan. I think they have needs that could use a first rounder more than ILB. Of course, to contradict my earlier statement, if they can't sign Ellerbe then it might change things.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mistergq View Post
    There has also been times when Ozzie traded picks for a current existing player on another team, so that is another alternative as well.

I don't see Ozzie moving beyond 20s, but if he does not trade up, I have a feeling he stays at 32. I also could see him trading back to 33-40, but significant beyond that.
    So he could trade up. Or he could stay put. Or he could trade down...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    ...don't need more picks this year but getting picks for future years is always a good thing.
    That's intriguing. They've certainly done well in the past with that strategy, getting Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis when they pocketed a future first round pick.

And when they did the opposite, trading a future first rounder, it killed them (Acquired Kyle Boller and New England used their pick the next draft to take Vince Wilfork, leaving the Ravens to take Dwan Edwards with their top pick that year).

Belichick loves that strategy. Two years ago he gave New Orleans his 28th overall pick (so New Orleans could draft Mark Ingram) and in exchange got a late second rounder in 2011 and a first rounder in 2012, which Belichick then parlayed into the Chandler Jones pick).

So the precedent is there for the Ravens to swing the same sort of deal and end up with two picks in the second round and a spare first rounder next year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    You win the prize. But you have to come to the server room to pick it up.

The other knock on Brees was that he ran a gimmick offense at Purdue. Joe Tiller was one of the first college coaches to run an exclusive shot-gun spread attack, which was thought at the time to be a poor proving ground for the NFL when QBs stayed under center. Funny to think how the NFL game came around to run the shotgun so much more prevalently

The NFL goes through these phases of thinking only one type of NFL QB can flourish until guys come around and prove them wrong.

Flacco ran the same type of spread system Delaware but the knock on him wasn't the system or his height, it was his small-school pedigree. But I think guys like Roethlisberger, Flacco and Romo have put that idea to rest.

And now we've seen it again with the read option now being accepted in the NFL thanks to Kaepernick, RGIII and Wilson.
    There was so much talk that year about not resigning Dilfer and getting Grbac. I don't remember anyone looking to draft a QB. Chis Redman was the developmental QB. The thought was so focused on getting a player that could help the offense enough to repeat If they had picked Brees the fans would have thought that Ozzie had lost it. There was a lot of excitement for Heap plus Jamal plus a healthy Travis Taylor. Funny how things worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If they had picked Brees the fans would have thought that Ozzie had lost it. There was a lot of excitement for Heap plus Jamal plus a healthy Travis Taylor. Funny how things worked out.
    Clearly it was Billick's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I didn't see enough of him to know if he was overhyped as a Notre Dame guy or if he was thrown off his game one time because of the scandal.
    Is there any other kind?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Is there any other kind?
    I hate to rub it in, but it's true. Here are the golden domers in the NFL , most recent first...

Ethan Johnson
    Darius Fleming
    Brian Smith
    Trevor Robinson
    Jonas Gray
    Robert Blanton
    Harrison Smith
    Michael Floyd
    Darrin Walls
    Terrail Lambert
    Ian Williams
    Chris Stewart
    Armando Allen
    Robert Hughes
    Kyle Rudolph
    Eric Olsen
    Sam Young
    Jimmy Clausen
    Sergio Brown
    Kyle McCarthy
    Golden Tate
    David Bruton
    John Sullivan
    Trevor Laws
    J. J. Jansen
    Tom Zbikowski
    John Carlson
    Victor Abiamiri
    Derek Landri
    Ryan Harris
    Brady Quinn
    Chinedum Ndukwe
    Mark LeVoir
    Anthony Fasano
    Maurice Stovall
    Justin Tuck
    Ryan Grant
    Jeff Faine
    Jordan Black
    Arnaz Battle

Who jumps off this list as great NFL players?

Blog Entries

I doubt they select 11 players this year. I think they have so many options to do either trade up or back depending on thier targets. I would even suggest they trade a few of thier picks this year for a few picks next season. (you get more value this way). Plus if they do trade this years picks for next years pick they can trade those picks for actual players before the later trade deadline in areas of need=teams always looking to dump players for picks once thier season is going south.) So many options.