Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: What's the story of why you're a Baltimore Ravens fan?

I'm 35 years old and was born and raised in Baltimore. The Colts left town when I was 5 years old so during my childhood I never had a team to call my own. But I was fascinated by the stories that my grandfathers would tell me about Unitas, Moore, Berry, Mackey, and all those glorious Colts teams. I met Unitas as a kid when my grandad took him fishing on his charter boat. We had a good day out there, catching our limit of rockfish. When we got back to the dock grandad asked Unitas if he wanted his autograph, lol. My other grandfather must have done taxes for about a half dozen of those old Colts. My dad would tell me stories of the greatest QB that never was, Bert Jones and the epic ghost to the post game. Needless to say, I was raised in the tradition and mystique of the Baltimore Colts. I just knew that Baltimore would eventually get another team. I was patient and casually rooted for those great 49'ers teams during our 12 years in exile, but I never gave them my heart.

1996, the fall after I graduated high school, we got the Ravens and that was it for me. I was onboard from day 1. Saw the last game at memorial stadium with dad, grandad, aunts and uncles, and a whole bunch of cousins. In 1997 I Had a job delivering office supplies downtown and would drive by the new stadium everyday, pretty much watched that thing go up brick by brick. When they moved in there for the 1998 season it really sunk in that we were legit, we had a team to call our own. That was also the year I realized we had the absolute greatest defensive player in the game, the legend, the "new Unitas", Ray Lewis. And of course the 2000 season was our great vindication and fuck you to Tags, Cooke, and the Irsays. 2002 my brother and I got our psl's and I have managed to make it to 5 or 6 games a year ever since.

I am a Ravens fan for life!
    Last edited by ballhawk; 02-23-2013 at 05:14 AM.

The Sword of Light is 26 (And doesn't act nearly as nerdy away from the message board, by the way), born and raised in Baltimore. By the time I was born, of course, the Colts had moved. All I could hold onto were stories about the old Colts greats. Never being able to feel those stories as they happened, made me yearn for my own team.

When I was old enough to start watching football, I too took to the 49ers. Jerry Rice was my favorite player and I also enjoyed watching Ken Norton Jr. He was one of the few defenders who also had a cool TD celebration: punching the padded portion of the goal post, like a punching bag, in honor of his father. I couldn't stand Green Bay, because they always managed to get in San Fransisco's way. I remember the game when they finally broke through: The TD pass that really spring boarded Terrell Owens' career. Even back then, I was surprised as hell that he caught it, because he dropped so many passes. Outside of the 49ers, Barry Sanders was my favorite player.

At the end of the day, however, I didn't take to them as if they were my own. I wanted my own team to root for. What made it even worse is that I was force fed the Washington Redskins every Sunday on FOX. I didn't want anything to do with them. I was still a kid and already tired of how Baltimore and Washington constantly got lumped together.

I was thrilled when the Ravens came back. I finally had a team of my own.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    Johnny Unitas' Former Home To Hit the Market

Scott Van Horn grew up in the home where Colts great Johnny Unitas once lived while building a football legend.
    From a Patch. article on Johnny Unitas's House.
    This is me, I guess I was just born to be a fan. I have never missed a Raven game or a Baltimore Colt game since I was 8 and now 43. I prefer to watch games alone.
    WOW. That's an amazing thing, to know you grew up in the house Johnny U called home when he was in his prime!
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

I was born in 1983, so the Colts while they were in Baltimore didn't even register to me. My parents...I never got a great read on what kind of football fans they were during the Colts era, I'd probably say casual fans. My dad told us about the Colts leaving, but it never seemed to affect him as much as diehard fans. So my childhood, I casually followed the teams who were doing well. Namely, probably the Cowboys and Redskins mostly. When the CFL Stallions came to town, my Dad took us to a game or two, and I know I really liked them and was sad when they had to leave after the NFL came to town.

I casually followed the Ravens from 96-2000. In 2000, with the Super Bowl run, obviously my interest started to perk up a bit more. I'd say the turning point was between the 2002 and 2003 season, that was about the time I joined the Scout message board and started being as obsessed as I am today. I still recall mock drafting and dreaming about what team we'd build, debating between Byron Leftwich and this kid who could chuck a ball through the goalposts from midfield, on his knees no less!

I still regret that I never picked up Ravens football as much between 1996-2001 as I have by today, but that could also be somewhat due to my high school experiences. I still recall when we opened the season vs the Panthers in 2002 and got beaten by 36 year old Rodney Peete at QB, to a team with a rookie HC who hadn't won but one game the year before.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Born & bred in Annapolis. Outside of a pair of job stints in Alabama and Louisiana, I've lived in this area all my life. Orioles & Colts. My Dad, who had a couple of restaurants & bars, used to sponsor busses to Colts game. We would fill a couple trash cans with sandwiches & cans of beer. The bus would pull up to Memorial Stadium, and we would stay on it until game-time if it was cold (why was Memorial Stadium always so damned cold in late Fall? - Seemed to be a like a big fan pushing wind from the open end). Easy in & out. And I got away with drinking beers on the bus as a teen!

Colts left, so I stopped watching NFL for 12 years ... fuck 'em! Terps and Navy got my money for occasional football games, plus we did a lot of camping, fishing, and weekend trips with our children. Stars and Stallions (season ticket holder in 1994). Plus attending events featuring Colts players -- we spent a good 15 minutes kibbitzing with Johnny U at the Convention Center. I would never have accepted the Redskins - rammed down my throat by CBS and Jack Kent Crook - as a replacement.

Ever since Mark Viviano broke the news in November 1995 about Modell's franchise moving to Baltimore, I have been on-board. Season ticket holder since 1996. I attended almost every home game (illness/injury excused absences for a few games) and about 2 to 4 road games per season. Plus training camp - I love the new set-up, with the TC exhibition in Annapolis. My streak has been broken, when unexpected & prolonged hospitalization cost me the bulk of the 2012 Ravens season, but I did regain strength & stamina to attend the Super Bowl.

I am really looking forward to the 2013 season. I believe that the fun is just beginning. I would take Flacco & Rice & our recivers over any others in the NFL!

In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Born in DC, raised in Columbia, with my very first football memory of my Dad standing in our living room watching the TV coverage of the Mayflower trucks, sobbing as they leave town.

So of course, being in proximity of DC and being the contrarian I am, I grew up a Redskins fan.

My family always had stronger ties to Baltimore though, through work and both of my older sisters going to college in and around Baltimore. We also spent so much time in the city in general.

So in 96 it was a no brainer. Put on the purple and never looked back.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

My first encounter with the Ravens came on the eve of the true Millennium; I was a prison guard at Armageddon; and my enthusiasm came as a complete surprise to me.

Grew up in Baltimore watching Colts and Orioles, but I tended to favor baseball. Nevertheless, was enough a fan of Bert Jones and Roger Carr to have huddled next to a SW radio to listen to the Colts lose to Oakland in December 24 while I was in the UK on a family trip. Lost interest in football after that, since the O's were more fun to watch then; World Series '79; went to college and grad school; read about the Colt's leaving town. When I returned to Baltimore in '88, only the O's were left, but that was OK: Frank and the Losing Streak, Why Not? and (finally) the opening of Camden Yards.

I emigrated in 1993 and lost all interest in sports. I really hate soccer, which is of course the popular fixation everywhere else. My wife thought she hit the jackpot and married a "sports free" guy.

Until December 2000. Where I lived at the time, I had to do a month's military service every year, and at the end of December 2000, I was assigned to a security prison at the "Meghiddo" junction -- adjacent to the historical site of the age-old city called (in Greek) "Armageddon." Guard duty entailed sitting up in a tower watching the prisoners play volley ball; the teams playing were organized by political faction: Hamas, Fatah, Islamic Jihad. At least volley ball is more fun to watch than soccer.

After what is called "Sylvester" (New Year's), and while off-duty, I overheard another soldier talk on his cell-phone to his buddies: "Blah-blah-blah Broncos blah blah Blah Titans blah blah blah Ravens." That was weird. He was talking apparently about American Football. After his call, he looked at me and said, "You're from Baltimore, right? Your team's doing pretty good."

"What team?"

"The Ravens."

Evidently, among this soldier's social/ethnic group (young, religious, British-expat lawyers ... !), American football had become a fashionable interest. He said, "The Ravens, they're in the playoffs, it's pretty exciting."

Huh?

After my reserve service was over that week, I returned to my home. I don't know why, but late Sunday night -- I mean, late, it must have been midnight -- I got up to turn on the Oakland playoff game on ESPN, which we had as part of our cable package. I had read up on the Internet about it: the Raiders were "unstoppable," the Black Hole, the Ravens would be crushed! But the game was a revelation; the Ravens were a force of nature. You just couldn't move the ball on them. "The Goose" would just sit on you.

Two weeks later, this time almost at 2am, I got out of bed and woke the kiddies up to join me. We watched SuperBowl XXXV together. In her sleep, my wife turned over and found that I had left the bed. What was wrong? She found us at 3 in the morning watching sports, and -- for her -- the Sports Free Man was dead.

Returned to Baltimore in 2003, and so I no longer have to get up in the middle of the night to watch the games.

Been a Maryland boy all my life. Loved the Colts. As a child growing up in the sixties I was fortunate enough to be able to watch the legend Johnny Unitas. There was so much excitement about Baltimore football in those days, and through most of the seventies. There were ColtS coralls (now Ravens Roosts) all over the state. The state of maryland was in love with their Colts. Then came the Mayflower moving vans, and the end of a legendary franchise. The 12 years that followed were the worst years of my life as a fan.

When the Ravens came in 1996 there was never a second of doubt about who I was going to root for.
    "Screw it, let's ride"!

Baltimore-area born and raised. Started following the Colts around 1974. Had a girlfriend whose family was Redskins fans, and they gave me a lot of shit in the early 80s as the Redskins were in top and the Colts sucked.

Fast forward to 1984. Colts left, and no way in hell was I going to root for the slurs down the Parkway. My NFL teams from 1984-1995 were anyone playing the Irsays or Slurs.

In 1996 picked up the purple right way. Started going to games in 1998, and regularly in 2000. Got my PSLs in 2003. I've missed 2 (non-preseason) home games since. I've attended 6 road playoff games including the recent Super Bowl and am 5-1. You could say that I am "all in" and am totally invested. Which makes a season like we just had that much more special.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

I was raised in Baltimore and started watching football during the 79 season and of course America's team became my team from day 1 up until 1996. There was something about that star that drew me in. Didn't have much affection or exposure to the Colts since they were hardly ever on TV. I was 14 when they left. It didn't affect me that much. However sometime during that 12 year stretch when Baltimore didn't have a football team to call its own I started longing for a home team to call my own. The tipping point for me is when the Ravens were denied a team during the 1993 expansion era. I guess it's the way everything went down. All the anticipation and then to be told that your city wasn't good enough. I took issue with that. I think that's the chip on the shoulder Steve B was talked about because I know that's where mine came in. When the ravens arrived I became a PSL holder from day 1. I didn't care what kind of team they were going to be. I gradually phased out my interest in the cowboys shortly thereafter.
    Last edited by pslholder96; 02-23-2013 at 10:44 AM.

There was no football from 1984 after Colts left until 1996 when the RAVENS arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Raven View Post
    There was no football from 1984 after Colts left until 1996 when the RAVENS arrived.
    Who said there was?