Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: What's the story of why you're a Baltimore Ravens fan?

I was born in 1983, so the Colts while they were in Baltimore didn't even register to me. My parents...I never got a great read on what kind of football fans they were during the Colts era, I'd probably say casual fans. My dad told us about the Colts leaving, but it never seemed to affect him as much as diehard fans. So my childhood, I casually followed the teams who were doing well. Namely, probably the Cowboys and Redskins mostly. When the CFL Stallions came to town, my Dad took us to a game or two, and I know I really liked them and was sad when they had to leave after the NFL came to town.

I casually followed the Ravens from 96-2000. In 2000, with the Super Bowl run, obviously my interest started to perk up a bit more. I'd say the turning point was between the 2002 and 2003 season, that was about the time I joined the Scout message board and started being as obsessed as I am today. I still recall mock drafting and dreaming about what team we'd build, debating between Byron Leftwich and this kid who could chuck a ball through the goalposts from midfield, on his knees no less!

I still regret that I never picked up Ravens football as much between 1996-2001 as I have by today, but that could also be somewhat due to my high school experiences. I still recall when we opened the season vs the Panthers in 2002 and got beaten by 36 year old Rodney Peete at QB, to a team with a rookie HC who hadn't won but one game the year before.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Born & bred in Annapolis. Outside of a pair of job stints in Alabama and Louisiana, I've lived in this area all my life. Orioles & Colts. My Dad, who had a couple of restaurants & bars, used to sponsor busses to Colts game. We would fill a couple trash cans with sandwiches & cans of beer. The bus would pull up to Memorial Stadium, and we would stay on it until game-time if it was cold (why was Memorial Stadium always so damned cold in late Fall? - Seemed to be a like a big fan pushing wind from the open end). Easy in & out. And I got away with drinking beers on the bus as a teen!

Colts left, so I stopped watching NFL for 12 years ... fuck 'em! Terps and Navy got my money for occasional football games, plus we did a lot of camping, fishing, and weekend trips with our children. Stars and Stallions (season ticket holder in 1994). Plus attending events featuring Colts players -- we spent a good 15 minutes kibbitzing with Johnny U at the Convention Center. I would never have accepted the Redskins - rammed down my throat by CBS and Jack Kent Crook - as a replacement.

Ever since Mark Viviano broke the news in November 1995 about Modell's franchise moving to Baltimore, I have been on-board. Season ticket holder since 1996. I attended almost every home game (illness/injury excused absences for a few games) and about 2 to 4 road games per season. Plus training camp - I love the new set-up, with the TC exhibition in Annapolis. My streak has been broken, when unexpected & prolonged hospitalization cost me the bulk of the 2012 Ravens season, but I did regain strength & stamina to attend the Super Bowl.

I am really looking forward to the 2013 season. I believe that the fun is just beginning. I would take Flacco & Rice & our recivers over any others in the NFL!

In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Born in DC, raised in Columbia, with my very first football memory of my Dad standing in our living room watching the TV coverage of the Mayflower trucks, sobbing as they leave town.

So of course, being in proximity of DC and being the contrarian I am, I grew up a Redskins fan.

My family always had stronger ties to Baltimore though, through work and both of my older sisters going to college in and around Baltimore. We also spent so much time in the city in general.

So in 96 it was a no brainer. Put on the purple and never looked back.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

My first encounter with the Ravens came on the eve of the true Millennium; I was a prison guard at Armageddon; and my enthusiasm came as a complete surprise to me.

Grew up in Baltimore watching Colts and Orioles, but I tended to favor baseball. Nevertheless, was enough a fan of Bert Jones and Roger Carr to have huddled next to a SW radio to listen to the Colts lose to Oakland in December 24 while I was in the UK on a family trip. Lost interest in football after that, since the O's were more fun to watch then; World Series '79; went to college and grad school; read about the Colt's leaving town. When I returned to Baltimore in '88, only the O's were left, but that was OK: Frank and the Losing Streak, Why Not? and (finally) the opening of Camden Yards.

I emigrated in 1993 and lost all interest in sports. I really hate soccer, which is of course the popular fixation everywhere else. My wife thought she hit the jackpot and married a "sports free" guy.

Until December 2000. Where I lived at the time, I had to do a month's military service every year, and at the end of December 2000, I was assigned to a security prison at the "Meghiddo" junction -- adjacent to the historical site of the age-old city called (in Greek) "Armageddon." Guard duty entailed sitting up in a tower watching the prisoners play volley ball; the teams playing were organized by political faction: Hamas, Fatah, Islamic Jihad. At least volley ball is more fun to watch than soccer.

After what is called "Sylvester" (New Year's), and while off-duty, I overheard another soldier talk on his cell-phone to his buddies: "Blah-blah-blah Broncos blah blah Blah Titans blah blah blah Ravens." That was weird. He was talking apparently about American Football. After his call, he looked at me and said, "You're from Baltimore, right? Your team's doing pretty good."

"What team?"

"The Ravens."

Evidently, among this soldier's social/ethnic group (young, religious, British-expat lawyers ... !), American football had become a fashionable interest. He said, "The Ravens, they're in the playoffs, it's pretty exciting."

Huh?

After my reserve service was over that week, I returned to my home. I don't know why, but late Sunday night -- I mean, late, it must have been midnight -- I got up to turn on the Oakland playoff game on ESPN, which we had as part of our cable package. I had read up on the Internet about it: the Raiders were "unstoppable," the Black Hole, the Ravens would be crushed! But the game was a revelation; the Ravens were a force of nature. You just couldn't move the ball on them. "The Goose" would just sit on you.

Two weeks later, this time almost at 2am, I got out of bed and woke the kiddies up to join me. We watched SuperBowl XXXV together. In her sleep, my wife turned over and found that I had left the bed. What was wrong? She found us at 3 in the morning watching sports, and -- for her -- the Sports Free Man was dead.

Returned to Baltimore in 2003, and so I no longer have to get up in the middle of the night to watch the games.

Been a Maryland boy all my life. Loved the Colts. As a child growing up in the sixties I was fortunate enough to be able to watch the legend Johnny Unitas. There was so much excitement about Baltimore football in those days, and through most of the seventies. There were ColtS coralls (now Ravens Roosts) all over the state. The state of maryland was in love with their Colts. Then came the Mayflower moving vans, and the end of a legendary franchise. The 12 years that followed were the worst years of my life as a fan.

When the Ravens came in 1996 there was never a second of doubt about who I was going to root for.
    "Screw it, let's ride"!

Baltimore-area born and raised. Started following the Colts around 1974. Had a girlfriend whose family was Redskins fans, and they gave me a lot of shit in the early 80s as the Redskins were in top and the Colts sucked.

Fast forward to 1984. Colts left, and no way in hell was I going to root for the slurs down the Parkway. My NFL teams from 1984-1995 were anyone playing the Irsays or Slurs.

In 1996 picked up the purple right way. Started going to games in 1998, and regularly in 2000. Got my PSLs in 2003. I've missed 2 (non-preseason) home games since. I've attended 6 road playoff games including the recent Super Bowl and am 5-1. You could say that I am "all in" and am totally invested. Which makes a season like we just had that much more special.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

I was raised in Baltimore and started watching football during the 79 season and of course America's team became my team from day 1 up until 1996. There was something about that star that drew me in. Didn't have much affection or exposure to the Colts since they were hardly ever on TV. I was 14 when they left. It didn't affect me that much. However sometime during that 12 year stretch when Baltimore didn't have a football team to call its own I started longing for a home team to call my own. The tipping point for me is when the Ravens were denied a team during the 1993 expansion era. I guess it's the way everything went down. All the anticipation and then to be told that your city wasn't good enough. I took issue with that. I think that's the chip on the shoulder Steve B was talked about because I know that's where mine came in. When the ravens arrived I became a PSL holder from day 1. I didn't care what kind of team they were going to be. I gradually phased out my interest in the cowboys shortly thereafter.
    Last edited by pslholder96; 02-23-2013 at 11:44 AM.

There was no football from 1984 after Colts left until 1996 when the RAVENS arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Raven View Post
    There was no football from 1984 after Colts left until 1996 when the RAVENS arrived.
    Who said there was?

Born and raised in and around Baltimore. The Colts left when I was 12 and were a laughing stock for years before they left. My father was never into football, so I never really paid much attention to it. I was a huge Orioles fan. I got into football in 7th or 8th grade and was a 49er fan since they were the top team at the time. I never really felt a connection to them though, but I did enjoy watching games. In the early 90s I started betting on games, and you always feel a real connection to whatever team you have money on. I started to really love the game of football and really wanted to have a home team. When the Ravens came, I immediately signed up for season tickets. The only NFL games I had been to before that were Niners games in DC and Pittsburgh. There was nothing like having a home team to pull for. It was better than betting.

Blog Entries

Grew up in Dayton,Ohio and was actually a Cleveland Browns fan (dad was Browns Fan). When Browns left, I had a choice to make: root for another team (next local team was the Bengals) or just stay with the same team, Ravens. I knew I could never root for the Bengals couldn't stand their fans (sans CincyCat) and that stupid "Who Dey" chant so I just followed the Ravens. It sucked b/c I was living with my parents and couldn't watch them on tv so I had to follow them on the computer.

I went to college at Bowling Green State University, northwest Ohio. Most of my friends were from Cleveland and couldn't understand why I would root for the Ravens and called me a traitor. My reasoning was: I live 3.5 hrs away from Cleveland, never went to a game in Cleveland. The only allegiance I had to Cleveland was that my dad was a fan.

Why should I be considered a traitor? Screw em

Ironically, I now live in Cincinnati and STILL hate their football fans. Everyday I'm reminded that I made the correct choice. I do LOVE THE CINCINNATI REDS THOUGH.

Born and raised in Baltimore.
    1966-1983: Colts fan.
    1984-1995: Watched maybe a total of 5 NFL games on TV, per year.
    1996-present: Ravens fan.

I grew up elsewhere and somehow latched onto the Colts and Orioles at an early age (who knows what goes on in a little boy's mind, and why the randomness of Baltimore?). Coincidentally moved later to Baltimore for a job, and when the Ravens arrived in 1996, jumped on the bandwagon (I let go of the Colts when they left on the Mayflower trucks).

And now you know the origin of my screen name: not a native, but a fan of the bird teams.

Blog Entries

Im 33. I grew up a Miami Dolphins fan, my parents we're Bills fans being from Buffalo so fo course I rooted for their rival and Dan the Man. I was a QB in PeeWee and up through HS. I always hated the Skins and their stupid "Hail to the redskins" chant and their cross dressing fat guys as fans. Just seemed rediculous.

Anyways 1996 I didn't watch much, was still a Miami fan. 97 and 98 I was deployed for most of the football season so didn't really follow either. Than comes 1999 we wound up 8-8 that year, but my first EVER football game was the home gme against the Squeelers, and even though we lost just that excitement and rivalry was already going and I was hooked. Than that year also went to the game against the Titans, another rivalry. And the rest is history. The next season I bought tickets to almost all the games, than by 2003 I as going to every game. 2006 I'm pretty sure I bought my first PSL's.

I know I've put my story up before but for the official thread....I grew up in Buffalo and although the Bills were mostly bad when I was in grade school, everyone including my family still rooted for them. I remember one year where I think the only game they won was a shutout of the Oilers. We moved to Syracuse which seemed like a massive move at that age but wasn't that far and we were still in the Bills market and pro-football fans in the area were pretty much Bills fans too. They made their 4 Superbowls and it was damn agonizing to watch all four go down the tubes. I moved to Tampa the year after the last one and caught Bills games when they were on but never adopted the Bucs. Hugh Culverhouse died right after I moved there and there was a big deal about finding a new owner before the Glazers picked em up and then held'em hostage for a new stadium. I just kept watching the Bills here and there but was a lot more interested in playing music, drinking and chasing tail. After about 6-7 years in Tampa I moved here, was somewhat bemused by a high profile murder trial of a local celebrity but didn't even watch the Bills much and didn't care much for football at the time. I caught some Raven's games that year at the laundromat including the Tennesee playoff game. I had to work the night of the Superbowl and depsite bringing my little TV, got no signal and had to listen to it on the radio. My girlfriends' cousin invited us over games next season and I saw Ray Lewis play and was hooked. Rest is history and so is the chick who I was dating then. My current wife always says we're gonna lose but it always mean we end up winning and now our kids are Raven's rookies.