Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Question What's the story of why you're a Baltimore Ravens fan?

For many of you lifelong Baltimore folks, your answer can be a simple one.

For me:

I'm 32 years old. I moved across the country from state to state (and even overseas to England) throughout my childhood. My first football team was, ironically, the San Francisco 49ers back when I lived in the Bay Area from '86 to '91. I grew up watching one of the most dominant dynasties of all-time. The 1989 49ers, under Joe Montana, systematically decimated the entire playoff field en route to a destruction of the Denver Broncos in, yes, the Louisiana Superdome. I have the telecast of that Super Bowl burned onto a DVD as I type; the 49ers literally led the game 55-10 with nearly 14 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. To this day, I still am in awe of that team.

My allegiance changed late in the 2002 season, after I had spent 10 years in Maryland (longer than any home I've lived in), when the Ravens - with the youngest team in the league - finished 7-9, IIRC. I watched Tim Couch wave to our fans after the Browns beat us at M&T, and I was sold as a Ravens fan.

Later that year, the 49ers and Jeff Garcia led a wildly improbable comeback against the New York Giants in the playoffs, and yet I didn't bask in the moment, for I had decided that I appreciated the Ravens blue collar approach to football and admired the ridiculous passion of the fans. I was a Ravens fan. My father and I bought PSLs and became season ticket holders. I always wanted to cheer for a team that I felt represented where I was from and represented toughness, not finesse. I felt I was a Maryland guy by then.

Living in Denver now for 7+ years, I still find myself a Marylander who is being Colorado-ized. I love it here, but my personality is an east coast one. The Ravens are my link back to my days in middle school, high school, college (Univ. of Maryland grad) and my first job out of college in Glen Burnie. To this day I still own season tickets with my father, which we can only enjoy sparingly.

I also like that the Ravens are overlooked, that they aren't a sexy choice to be a fan of. I like seeing them shine while other fans and the media do everything they can to tear them down. It fires me up. I root for these guys to break hearts. I love the Ravens.

Blog Entries

Re: What's the story of why you're a Baltimore Ravens fan?

For me the answer is easy, I was born in Baltimore, and I was a fan as soon as the team was born. It's been really cool to be emotionally invested in the team and see them progress and eventually win it all.

For me... It started with the shut down defense. And then something about the all black uniforms. I LOVE them. Then seeing ray Lewis destroy people and watchin my boy Ed at the U! And then goin to bmore!!!! I just started falling more and more in love with them. I was a closet ravens fan for a few years.... And I finally came out a few years ago! Hahaha

Blog Entries

Born and raised in Baltimore. I admit I was a huge 49er and Jerry Rice fan before the Ravens came. Once they came I dropped the 49ers and it was all attention to the Ravens.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

I'm actually an Ohio boy, and I grew up a Browns fan, because my mother is from Cleveland. When Modell moved the Browns in 1995, my mom, like all Clevelanders, was outraged. So was I, at first.

Then in 1996, I was confronted with a dilemma--do I even watch football this year? WTF? So I caught a Ravens game on TV one Sunday, and saw a lot of the players I used to root for... and then I realized, being as I wasn't from Cleveland and had never even been to a Browns game, why was I mad that they moved? Since I couldn't answer that question in any rational way, I kept coming back... and haven't left. Plus, I really liked the way some rookie kid named Lewis played...

Being career military, I live a somewhat nomadic existence, and have had a few assignments where I wasn't really able to keep up with football... but I spent the last three years in NoVA and got to come see three Ravens games during that time--still the only NFL games I've ever been to. I can't say enough about what a great time that was... and if my career takes me back that way I'll get PSLs for sure.

My mom still considers me a traitor for being a Ravens fan... but considering that she hasn't lived in Cleveland for almost 50 years, I don't really understand why. Gotta know when to let go...

MD guy but grew up in skins territory (VA). My family is skins cowboys fans and they tried to get me to join but at the time I wasn't into football and i was a heavy baseball fan and Os was my team. 2000 playoffs Ive watched them played that historic run we were and ppl doubted that the ravens will win and for some reason they just didnt quit and had heart. Ever since their first championship I have been a fan of the ravens and will never stop.

Born and raised in Baltimore. My best and most vivid memory of my dad and I, we were sitting about 3' from a black & white TV watching the Colts beating the crap outta somebody and cheering like crazy. I was 6, he passed away that next Spring. Eventually, watching the games were fun again and I don't think I ever missed one. Got to my first game working the Toy for Tots while I was in the USMCR in 1977 and did that until my enlistment was over in 1982. When the Colts left, and thereafter until we got the Ravens I probably watched maybe 10 games total. Never been to but a couple Ravens games but they play for Baltimore and like me, I know my dad would love that team too.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Johnny Unitas' Former Home To Hit the Market

Scott Van Horn grew up in the home where Colts great Johnny Unitas once lived while building a football legend.

By Dean Bartoli Smith
    Email the author
    January 25, 2012
    Scott Van Horn returned to his hometown of Towson a few weeks ago from Denver to fix up his parents' house in Campus Hills and ready it for sale. His dad died last August and his mom passed away a few years ago.

He’s completed the paperwork to have the house in the XXX block Starbit Road registered as an historic place. While the house appears to be just another of the many tri-level homes in the popular neighborhood off Providence Road, it is no ordinary dwelling.

This was Johnny Unitas' house.

“Johnny Unitas lived here from ‘58 through ‘65 with his first wife Dorothy and their children,” said Van Horn. “It was the place he came home to after the ’58 championship game. He lived here when he broke the record for consecutive games with a touchdown pass. He wasn’t even aware that he broke that record when they told him.”

The Van Horns moved into the home in 1968. Scott’s father, Gail Van Horn, needed more room to raise a family and a place for his wife, who didn’t drive, to walk to everything. Awarded the Silver Star in World War II, Gail worked in television and was instrumental in syndicating the popular show Romper Room across America.

“We had the Farm Store, the Colt Lanes for bowling and a pool with blue-and-white tile,” said Van Horn. “Everything was close by.”

Built in the 1950s, these homes featured state-of-the-art upgrades like all-electric kitchens and intercom systems. Unitas had a built-in trophy case off the dining room. Behind the paneling, there are glimpses of the original, light-blue paint used by the builders. Legendary coach Don Shula and Colts player Alan Ameche also lived in Campus Hills.

Scott was 7 when he first learned about the previous owner. Unitas died of a heart attack in 2002 at age 69.

“We were watching the Colts play the Cardinals in 1976 and they were doing a special on Johnny Unitas. Dad said, ‘You know, son, he lived in this house.’ I remember we lost the game and my father was upset.”

Scott only missed one Baltimore Colts game until the team left in 1984. He and his friends would cut through the trail behind his house and watch Colts training camp at Goucher College. They would hide in the woods and wait for the kickers and punters to rain footballs down on them.

“I remember it snowed on the day the Colts left town,” he said. “I stayed in the master bathroom, the one Johnny used, and refused to go to school. I wish Irsay would have left us the name.”

Scott is also a big Ravens fan who thought this was the team's year based on the fact that Raymond Berry was giving out the Lombardi Trophy and the game will be held in Indianapolis. He attended the Texans game and watched in disbelief Sunday as the Ravens fell to the Patriots in the AFC championship.

“I’m still recovering. It was a really disappointing loss. It reminded me of the 1958 game. Unitas didn’t want to leave it up to the kicker. That’s why they went in for the score,” he said. “He wanted the touchdown.”

The house is filled with Colts pennants, helmets, programs and memorabilia. Gail Van Horn’s military trunks and medals, including a Silver Star, are also there. He received the medal for disabling a German roadblock with four other soldiers by “crawling under furious enemy fire … and in fifteen minutes removing it by hand.”

Gail Van Horn will always be his youngest son’s favorite hero.

“I miss him, I really do. We’re still not sure what we are going to do about the house,” he said. “It will be tough to sell it.”

From a Patch. article on Johnny Unitas's House.
    This is me, I guess I was just born to be a fan. I have never missed a Raven game or a Baltimore Colt game since I was 8 and now 43. I prefer to watch games alone.

Blog Entries

I was born and raised in Barbados. Came to the U.S in 1992 and lived in Columbia, MD for about 9 years. At first, I knew nothing about "American Football" (because football was soccer!). I learned my football with the Ravens, and have been a Ravens fan since they came to Baltimore. Now I do know my football, and live in Colorado Springs. Geographical location doesn't matter - I'm a Ravens fan for life. I proudly wear my Ravens gear here in Broncoland, particularly my "Super Bowl Champion Baltimore Ravens T-shirt". Nothing like rubbing it in!

Blog Entries

When I was a little kid, I was obsessed with Edgar Allen Poe. In 3rd grade, after the Ravens beat the Giants, a teacher said that the team that just won the Super Bowl was named after an Edgar Allan Poe poem. Holy shit, I lost it. I'd never watched a game of football before, but knew they were my favorite team then. Of course by the time the next season came along, I forgot about it. Two years later I got a PS2 for Christmas and a game called "Madden 2002." The football season was already over, but I was obsessed with that game over the summer, playing with the Ravens each game. It was how I learned how football was played. I remember on Madden I was CONSTANTLY making big plays with this guy called "Ray Lewis," and boy was I surprised when the football season arrived and he randomly was some type of legend in real life. And I think it just hit me that Ray Lewis is really gone now. But yeah, 2003 was my first season watching football.

Simple, born and raised in Charm City. Love Baltimore, even when it was rough back in the days. I was a Basketball player, but my love for football came in the 80's, I saw John Elway play, Wow!! Blew my mind.

But growing up I caught hell, because Elway didn't want to play for Colts. So I learned everything about the Colts and I was hooked. We had a good hard nose football team before. But I still was a Elway fan so I cheered for Den. John and Atwater I was hooked on.

Then comes the Baltimore Ravens!!! That was the true love of my life. Ravens.. That was perfect for me, I'm a football addict and fantasy Guru, lol. I build my life around the football Calendar, and it's so complete with the Ravens in it. Been a fan since day one. Plus they wear purple and called Ravens(Poe).

Super love this team, I bleed purple, even with me now living in Shitsburgh,12yrs, I bleed PURPLE!! Ray Lewis was Baltimore , Baltimore is Ray Lewis. Tough, hard working,action speak louder then words, Chram City Baby!! He will be missed, but I'm Wacko for Flacco, since day 1.

We have a great Organization, and Im cool with anyone who bleeds Purple. RavenNation will get as big as those dumbass sqeelers fans. We will have more Superbowls then everyone sooner rather then never. Sry I live here and I really hate the sqeelers.

But glad to know the lovefor the Baltimore Ravens is Wordwide. Purple Pride!!