Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question What's the story of why you're a Baltimore Ravens fan?

For many of you lifelong Baltimore folks, your answer can be a simple one.

For me:

I'm 32 years old. I moved across the country from state to state (and even overseas to England) throughout my childhood. My first football team was, ironically, the San Francisco 49ers back when I lived in the Bay Area from '86 to '91. I grew up watching one of the most dominant dynasties of all-time. The 1989 49ers, under Joe Montana, systematically decimated the entire playoff field en route to a destruction of the Denver Broncos in, yes, the Louisiana Superdome. I have the telecast of that Super Bowl burned onto a DVD as I type; the 49ers literally led the game 55-10 with nearly 14 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. To this day, I still am in awe of that team.

My allegiance changed late in the 2002 season, after I had spent 10 years in Maryland (longer than any home I've lived in), when the Ravens - with the youngest team in the league - finished 7-9, IIRC. I watched Tim Couch wave to our fans after the Browns beat us at M&T, and I was sold as a Ravens fan.

Later that year, the 49ers and Jeff Garcia led a wildly improbable comeback against the New York Giants in the playoffs, and yet I didn't bask in the moment, for I had decided that I appreciated the Ravens blue collar approach to football and admired the ridiculous passion of the fans. I was a Ravens fan. My father and I bought PSLs and became season ticket holders. I always wanted to cheer for a team that I felt represented where I was from and represented toughness, not finesse. I felt I was a Maryland guy by then.

Living in Denver now for 7+ years, I still find myself a Marylander who is being Colorado-ized. I love it here, but my personality is an east coast one. The Ravens are my link back to my days in middle school, high school, college (Univ. of Maryland grad) and my first job out of college in Glen Burnie. To this day I still own season tickets with my father, which we can only enjoy sparingly.

I also like that the Ravens are overlooked, that they aren't a sexy choice to be a fan of. I like seeing them shine while other fans and the media do everything they can to tear them down. It fires me up. I root for these guys to break hearts. I love the Ravens.

Blog Entries

Re: What's the story of why you're a Baltimore Ravens fan?

For me the answer is easy, I was born in Baltimore, and I was a fan as soon as the team was born. It's been really cool to be emotionally invested in the team and see them progress and eventually win it all.

For me... It started with the shut down defense. And then something about the all black uniforms. I LOVE them. Then seeing ray Lewis destroy people and watchin my boy Ed at the U! And then goin to bmore!!!! I just started falling more and more in love with them. I was a closet ravens fan for a few years.... And I finally came out a few years ago! Hahaha

Blog Entries

Born and raised in Baltimore. I admit I was a huge 49er and Jerry Rice fan before the Ravens came. Once they came I dropped the 49ers and it was all attention to the Ravens.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

There was no football from 1984 after Colts left until 1996 when the RAVENS arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Raven View Post
    There was no football from 1984 after Colts left until 1996 when the RAVENS arrived.
    Who said there was?

Born and raised in and around Baltimore. The Colts left when I was 12 and were a laughing stock for years before they left. My father was never into football, so I never really paid much attention to it. I was a huge Orioles fan. I got into football in 7th or 8th grade and was a 49er fan since they were the top team at the time. I never really felt a connection to them though, but I did enjoy watching games. In the early 90s I started betting on games, and you always feel a real connection to whatever team you have money on. I started to really love the game of football and really wanted to have a home team. When the Ravens came, I immediately signed up for season tickets. The only NFL games I had been to before that were Niners games in DC and Pittsburgh. There was nothing like having a home team to pull for. It was better than betting.

Blog Entries

Grew up in Dayton,Ohio and was actually a Cleveland Browns fan (dad was Browns Fan). When Browns left, I had a choice to make: root for another team (next local team was the Bengals) or just stay with the same team, Ravens. I knew I could never root for the Bengals couldn't stand their fans (sans CincyCat) and that stupid "Who Dey" chant so I just followed the Ravens. It sucked b/c I was living with my parents and couldn't watch them on tv so I had to follow them on the computer.

I went to college at Bowling Green State University, northwest Ohio. Most of my friends were from Cleveland and couldn't understand why I would root for the Ravens and called me a traitor. My reasoning was: I live 3.5 hrs away from Cleveland, never went to a game in Cleveland. The only allegiance I had to Cleveland was that my dad was a fan.

Why should I be considered a traitor? Screw em

Ironically, I now live in Cincinnati and STILL hate their football fans. Everyday I'm reminded that I made the correct choice. I do LOVE THE CINCINNATI REDS THOUGH.

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Talking Re: What's the story of why you're a Baltimore Ravens fan?

[QUOTE=RavensNest;589266]Ironically, I now live in Cincinnati and STILL hate their football fans. Everyday I'm reminded that I made the correct choice. QUOTE]

Ravens Nest: What part of Cincitucky do you live in?? I'm in White Oak. We should hook up with CincyCat for a game or at least a tailgate.

I'm from DC area and should be a 'Skins fan, but always rooted for the Colts and O's and took a lot of shit for it. Still hurts to think about the horror of 1969 and then the glory 2 championships the next year.

Will never forget my first O's game against the Senators at RFK stadium; Frank Robinson hit TWO Grand Slams, both balls traveling right over my head.

Moved to Cincinnati for college in '74 and suffered there when the Colts left. Got Bengals season tickets in the meantime, more for a social thing than anything else, I almost never sat in them. Joyfully cancelled them when the Ravens arrived.

Don't get to many Ravens games, but I retire June 1 and hope I can get east and snag a ticket at least a couple of times a year. We have a beachfront condo in OC on 29th St. and try to get a few O's games in while we're there for the summer.

For 10 years, I would drag my kids to Training Camp, which used to be 20 minutes from my Mom's house, and bribe them with candy, etc. for autographs. My wife worked with Harbaugh when he was an Asst. coach at UC and a friend of mine was his next door neighbor and they're still close friends. Between these 2 connections, they got me & the kids a Family/Friends pass and we were on the field for practice, got some great autographs (I accidentally walked in on the team breakfast when I was picking the passes up at the hotel!).

It's rough rooting from out of town, but am currently getting a lot of jealous looks as I parade around in SB champs gear!

So the year pretty much revolves around following Ravens, O's Terps and also DeMatha Stags!!!!!!!
    Last edited by TheOrioleWay; 02-24-2013 at 09:51 AM.

I'm actually an Ohio boy, and I grew up a Browns fan, because my mother is from Cleveland. When Modell moved the Browns in 1995, my mom, like all Clevelanders, was outraged. So was I, at first.

Then in 1996, I was confronted with a dilemma--do I even watch football this year? WTF? So I caught a Ravens game on TV one Sunday, and saw a lot of the players I used to root for... and then I realized, being as I wasn't from Cleveland and had never even been to a Browns game, why was I mad that they moved? Since I couldn't answer that question in any rational way, I kept coming back... and haven't left. Plus, I really liked the way some rookie kid named Lewis played...

Being career military, I live a somewhat nomadic existence, and have had a few assignments where I wasn't really able to keep up with football... but I spent the last three years in NoVA and got to come see three Ravens games during that time--still the only NFL games I've ever been to. I can't say enough about what a great time that was... and if my career takes me back that way I'll get PSLs for sure.

My mom still considers me a traitor for being a Ravens fan... but considering that she hasn't lived in Cleveland for almost 50 years, I don't really understand why. Gotta know when to let go...

MD guy but grew up in skins territory (VA). My family is skins cowboys fans and they tried to get me to join but at the time I wasn't into football and i was a heavy baseball fan and Os was my team. 2000 playoffs Ive watched them played that historic run we were and ppl doubted that the ravens will win and for some reason they just didnt quit and had heart. Ever since their first championship I have been a fan of the ravens and will never stop.

Born and raised in Baltimore. My best and most vivid memory of my dad and I, we were sitting about 3' from a black & white TV watching the Colts beating the crap outta somebody and cheering like crazy. I was 6, he passed away that next Spring. Eventually, watching the games were fun again and I don't think I ever missed one. Got to my first game working the Toy for Tots while I was in the USMCR in 1977 and did that until my enlistment was over in 1982. When the Colts left, and thereafter until we got the Ravens I probably watched maybe 10 games total. Never been to but a couple Ravens games but they play for Baltimore and like me, I know my dad would love that team too.