Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: What's the story of why you're a Baltimore Ravens fan?

My parents moved from the Middle East to baltimore over 50 years ago. I was born in Baltimore (even though I moved to Atlanta in 95), it is the city where our new family roots start in the states; as all my sibilings and me were born in Baltimore.

Forever a city I will be grateful, just for the fact of knowing I was born in the States.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I'm 33, born and raised in Woodlawn.

I obviously was just a toddler when the Colts left, but to be honest, it (being a Colts fan) probably wouldn't have happened even if I were older. Both of my parents are from Pittsburgh LOL. They both moved down here to work at Westinghouse near the airport before I was born as they were both looking for jobs.

My father unfortunately passed when I was just a toddler...ironically, I am sure I would have been a Steelers fan like he was had he still been alive as like most parents, I would have followed whatever team my dad (who I followed around everywhere) was a fan of.

While I grew up without a team, my uncles and aunts tried to make me a Steelers fan and while I never became one, I certainly didn't "dislike" them during that time either. I actually became a HUGE Houston Oiler fan as I was a big fan of Warren Moon...they ran that run and shoot, fun to watch offense and man, very few threw "prettier" balls than Moon.

When the Ravens came here, I was a teenager, and to be honest, I didn't switch my loyalty right away....I had a lot vested in the Oilers and also was not too enthused about us getting a team the way we did...I do remember being pissed off to no end as the NFL royally screwed us in the expansion process. I think a combination of all those things led to me being slow to embrace the team.

It all changed in 97, the Oilers moved to Tennessee, and my mom took me and 2 of my friends to our first Ravens game...when we beat the Redskins. I ALWAYS...ALWAYS hated the Redskins as I always felt that they were being forced into our market...while all these great games were going on around the league, we were being forced to watch the Redskins play the Cardinals. Anyway, that game really lit my fire for the Ravens, and I've been a huge fan from then on out.
    Same age, grew up in the same area. What HS did you go to?
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Great thread so far. I'm surprise at the balance we have between young and old posters. The variance in age groups complement each other quite well and is just another reason why this board remains classy, civilized and full of unique insight (most of the time).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    Baltimore boy born and bred. Grew up watching the Baltimore Colts with my family with the volume turned down on the B&W TV and Chuck Thompson doing the play by play on the radio. I vividly remember watching the tragedy of SB III when I was nine. I kept yelling for them to put Johnny U in which they eventually did but it was too late. A couple years later we about knocked our TV trays from our laps as Jim O'Brien kicked the winning FG in SBV. At that time there was still that magical love affair going on between the Colts players and the people of Baltimore. They lived and worked among us. They cared about the same things we did. They were our friends and neighbors. I saw Johnny Unitas for the first time in something new called a super market with my mom at the corner of Loch Raven and Taylor in 1966 i think. He was grocery shopping like we were. He talked with all the ladies and their kids. Thru the years I routinely saw him and other players at the gas station, the post office and something that used to be called the local hardware store. Art Donovan owned the liquor store up the street. He was my Dad's beer man. My family would occasionally go out for dinner at Johnny U's Golden Arm and Ordell Braase's Flaming Pit restaurants. Glenn Doughty had a community center called Shake n Bake. Jim Parker chased a drug dealer down the street. He wasn't taking any of that shit in his neighborhood! Every year many of the 30 some individual Colts Corral's had at least one player stay with them in Ocean City for the annual Colts Fan convention. All the Fan Club's had to do was pay for the player's room and their beer! We loved those guys. When Irsay stole them away in the middle of the night it ripped our hearts out. I know litteraly hundreds of people who cried their eyes out. It was killer i ain't gonna lie.

When Art Modell announced his franchise was coming to Baltimore it was initially said they would be called the Baltimore Browns. I was ashamed that we were getting a team essentially the same way we lost the Colts. I would not support anything called the Browns and i immediately ponied up my season ticket money for the Stallions who had just won the CFL Grey Cup. Shortly thereafter Art made the wise move to leave the Browns name, colors and history to the great Fans of Cleveland and that was enough for me. I became a Baltimore Ravens Fan and I eventually joined a Ravens Roost (the old Colts Corrals who stayed together thru 12 years of no NFL football and never stopped supporting the return of a Team to Baltimore). I met my wife and dozens of great friends that way that i now consider brothers & sisters. Changed my whole life. One of my old heroes from the Colts was a guy called "Big Wheel" who went from section to section leading C-O-L-T-S cheers. They were really loud and the cheers unified all the fans. We had a great time doing it. So when the Ravens moved into our new stadium in 1998, i told my Roost president "Hey we should do our own R-A-V-E-N-S cheer. He said "Well get the F up and do it asshole!" That was pretty much it. We've been having a blast doing that cheer every game every score for 15 years now. I am super proud of the way the Ravens organization is run and how it represents my home town that i still love, despite all it's problems. That is why i'm a Baltimore Ravens Fan. Ain't the Beer Cold Hon!!!
    I've heard your story before Dan but I never get tired of reading it again. That passion that you and so many other Baltimore fans have is the reason why I wanted to be part of this fanbase. It's awesome

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    This is kind of cool to see the development of the fan base. A lot of us on this forum are true die hards and had season tix out of the gate. The most fun I've ever had at a game was sitting in Memorial Stadium in the freezing rain and watching the Testeverde led Ravens beat the Steelers when their fans outnumbered us by about 4-1. It's cool to see that some of you were just kids when we won that first Superbowl and that made you die-hard fans. Think of all of the kids that are going to jump on after this Superbowl. Nothing builds a fan base like winning Championships.
    I think I was at that game, at that time the Steeler fans where everywhere. I think alot of football fans in this area didnt have a team became Steeler fans and Baltimore lost south Pennsylvania fans. I remember that game Bam Morris ran wild over the Steelers that day. Now, you hardly see any Steeler fans at Raven games like you used to, some show up but they keep quiet out of fear.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I'm 33, born and raised in Woodlawn.

I obviously was just a toddler when the Colts left, but to be honest, it (being a Colts fan) probably wouldn't have happened even if I were older. Both of my parents are from Pittsburgh LOL. They both moved down here to work at Westinghouse near the airport before I was born as they were both looking for jobs.

My father unfortunately passed when I was just a toddler...ironically, I am sure I would have been a Steelers fan like he was had he still been alive as like most parents, I would have followed whatever team my dad (who I followed around everywhere) was a fan of.

While I grew up without a team, my uncles and aunts tried to make me a Steelers fan and while I never became one, I certainly didn't "dislike" them during that time either. I actually became a HUGE Houston Oiler fan as I was a big fan of Warren Moon...they ran that run and shoot, fun to watch offense and man, very few threw "prettier" balls than Moon.

When the Ravens came here, I was a teenager, and to be honest, I didn't switch my loyalty right away....I had a lot vested in the Oilers and also was not too enthused about us getting a team the way we did...I do remember being pissed off to no end as the NFL royally screwed us in the expansion process. I think a combination of all those things led to me being slow to embrace the team.

It all changed in 97, the Oilers moved to Tennessee, and my mom took me and 2 of my friends to our first Ravens game...when we beat the Redskins. I ALWAYS...ALWAYS hated the Redskins as I always felt that they were being forced into our market...while all these great games were going on around the league, we were being forced to watch the Redskins play the Cardinals. Anyway, that game really lit my fire for the Ravens, and I've been a huge fan from then on out.
    Sorry about your father. I was also an Oiler fan when the Colts left, not a diehard fan like with the Colts but I enjoyed watching Houston play. I still cant beleive they lost that playoff game to Buffalo. You, me and Harv became Oiler fans that's funny. I used to root for the Oilers when they played Pittsburgh in the playoffs in the late 70's...they got robbed in Pittsburgh once on a bad call in the endzone to Renfro for a TD. The Oilers actually played the Colts in the final game of the Baltimore Colts and the Oiler QB was Oliver Luck. Glad you didn't cave into being a Steeler fan.

Blog Entries

When I moved to Maryland the Colts were already gone so I had no allegiance. My boss was a Redskin season ticket holder and he was also a drunk so he would tie one on every Sat night and I'd end up with his tickets. Went to many games in that old stadium.

When Baltimore got the Ravens, my son wanted to go. Bought tickets to the first game and we were hooked. Never looked back and it's been an awesome ride.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I remember as a kid going to my first Colts game, watching Mike freaking Pagel stumble around like a newborn deer, suffering through a cold, damp day, as Raul Allegre was the only offense....and loved every minute of it because it was a pro game in a pro stadium.

Then, 3 months later they are gone.

12 years later, I know never to take a home game for granted, and instantly become a Raven fan for life!

Blog Entries

I'm one of the "youngins", but I like to keep up on my history, and I DO remember local hardware stores!

For those that were around in the heyday when players had regular jobs...were they mobbed by people like you see with Joe Flacco and Torrey Smith and etc in public now? The only times I've come anywhere close to interacting with players in public was one time, Todd Heap was picking up food from Bob Evans in Westminster during TC (Waitress told someone about it, he was trying VERY hard to stay out of the light, had his hat pulled way down on his head, but his size was a dead giveaway), and Haloti Ngata shopping in the Shoppers in Westminster a few years ago. Both times, I respected their privacy and, after getting a good chance to gawk from afar, left them alone.

My son is pretty universally accepting of football teams, but is mainly between Ravens and Redskins (due to my inlaws). I do feel a LITTLE bad that he's asking to go to a Redskins game now and I flat out told him I won't take him :-P My in laws keep saying shit about taking him to a game, and I kind've want them to put up or shut up with that crap. They don't say it to him, but they can't offer that to him and then not do it. I'll gladly take him to a Ravens game, but I'm not going and taking him to a Redskins game unless someone's going to pay for my tickets.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Born and Raised in the City. Left 10 years ago to serve. Still a die hard fan, no matter where I go. Hard to find Ravens gear anywhere but Md, but I still wear my colors with pride. Ravens fans are rare in the states I have lived in the past 10, Hawaii, Colorado, Georgia. I prefer it that way, keep the fair weather fans away.

Quote Originally Posted by Sua Sponte View Post
    Born and Raised in the City. Left 10 years ago to serve. Still a die hard fan, no matter where I go. Hard to find Ravens gear anywhere but Md, but I still wear my colors with pride. Ravens fans are rare in the states I have lived in the past 10, Hawaii, Colorado, Georgia. I prefer it that way, keep the fair weather fans away.
    I have the same problem here in Arizona. I usually have my stuff shipped to me. Even now, there's more GB, NE and Steeler crap in the stores. Pisses me the hell off. If I were a die hard Cardinals fan, I'm afraid I'd get arrested in one of these stores. This place will never have an identity of it's own.

I was 8 years old when the Colts split. My grandfather, uncles, father... All huge Colts fans. And while I was able to appreciate the history of the franchise, they were not particularly good prior to their departure and during my formative football years.

During the absence of NFL football in Baltimore, I paid attention to the Steelers, but was never a real fan. I simply followed the league as a casual observer and waited for spring when the Orioles started playing.

When the Ravens arrived, I was all in immediately. I am a homer. I will cheer for any sport that represents my city.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!