Page 62 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6061626364 ... LastLast

Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    My friend, who is Ukranian by birth, is OVER THE MOON about Margus Hunt. Keeps telling me he should be a top 20 pick, freak of nature.

I told him I'd bet him 20 bucks the guy won't get drafted in 1st round. Who's more nuts?

Your friend without a doubt:)

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    My memory is getting hazy now, but I recall Webb having a much better but similar problem. That is, Webb was viewed as a guy who could either play CB or FS, but there was no question he could do both. It was just a matter of which was the better position for him, but it wasn't like he wasn't going to find a role.

Whereas, people are kinda saying maybe Mathieu is a FS, or maybe he's a CB, but he isn't clearly cut out to be either one. He might not be either. That's his main drawback.

Again, this is one of those guys where, if he's a terrific gunner and he's able to contribute on the kick-block team and the coaches think he can be coached up into a dime role, great. Take a flyer with a 4th or 5th or what have you if there aren't more pressing needs at that point. I don't care about the weed stuff, and he won't command a high enough draft pick where it'll matter if he turns out to be a flop. Athletically there's some upside there, so if you get a plus-ST guy with dime ability, you consider it a value pick due to the playmaking upside.

Also I agree with you that maybe in year 3 his role becomes more apparent. Get him into camp, training, games, etc and see how well he meshes with the rest of the secondary, and where he fits. Once he learns the system, he may turn out to be very adaptable.

Now, about those 4 reps on the bench press...... Dude! Come on!
    Pre-draft, abotu the only thing Webb had on Matthieu was a lack of off field problems.
    Webb made less plays at a MUCH lower level of football. He's only marginally bigger, and I on't think he was anymore qualified to play at either position, let alone both. As a matter of fact, I see a higher likelyhood that Matthieu could succeed at safety then Webb, even after Webb has shown he can play corner at the NFL level.

Blog Entries

Scouts droolin' ova the Honey Badger apparently. He is a player for sure.

Eric Reid had an impressive showing. I kinda like him

Blog Entries

Eric Reid is overrated and not very good IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    Eric Reid had an impressive showing. I kinda like him
    I do too. I'm not saying he's a perfect replacement for Ed. Nobody ever will be that. But as far as how he plays and how our defense is set up, he looks like the best fit of the safeties available.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Eric Reid is overrated and not very good IMO.
    Can you elaborate? Lol

Blog Entries

Can you elaborate? Lol
    He misses so many open field tackles, and is surrounded by a huge amount of talent. I think he's a good player, but he looks like a 3rd round type talent to me.

re the Honey Badger discussion......I think back to last year when some of us on this board were solidly on the Burfict bandwagon, while others wanted absolutely NOTHING to do with him.......turned out ok for Cincy, huh?
    Matthieu is an instinctive player. Can't be taught. Draft him in 3 or 4 and have yourself a playmaking DB.
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee414 View Post
    re the Honey Badger discussion......I think back to last year when some of us on this board were solidly on the Burfict bandwagon, while others wanted absolutely NOTHING to do with him.......turned out ok for Cincy, huh?
    Matthieu is an instinctive player. Can't be taught. Draft him in 3 or 4 and have yourself a playmaking DB.
    Good point. Plenty of guys who dropped for dumb shit still turned out to be as good as the college tape indicated.
    I think most guys are smart enough to make the most of the last chance they are likely to get.

:T2:

Can you elaborate? Lol
    He had a very good year with Matheiu there last year (ironic considering what some are saying about Mathieu being the one who needed everybody else).

Reid struggled with missed tackles, took horrible angles in the run and pass game and let too many passes go over his head this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    He had a very good year with Matheiu there last year (ironic considering what some are saying about Mathieu being the one who needed everybody else).

Reid struggled with missed tackles, took horrible angles in the run and pass game and let too many passes go over his head this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'd take him in the 3rd round. He wont be starter ready in his rookie year IMO. Just misses too many tackles.