Page 48 of 66 FirstFirst ... 4647484950 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

People forget that Ray used to be one of the most athletic players in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Daniel Jeremiah said that he's not so sure Kevin Minter isn't the best ILB in this draft. Feels that his fluidity and explosiveness sets him apart and that it shows up on tape.
    That is certainly possible...I think people can look for anything they want to support any of the top 3 as their top guy....IMHO, they are all close.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Cornelius Washington is going to force teams to go back to the tape on him with his performance today.
    Yeah...I haven't watched much of him, but his stats are pretty lame for a guy with his skillset...just looking at the physical differences between he and Jones and you'd think Washington should have been the guy dominating.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    That is certainly possible...I think people can look for anything they want to support any of the top 3 as their top guy....IMHO, they are all close.

Yeah...I haven't watched much of him, but his stats are pretty lame for a guy with his skillset...just looking at the physical differences between he and Jones and you'd think Washington should have been the guy dominating.
    Maybe that's why Jones dominated?

Washington faced a lot of doubles.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries
    @NFLosophy: RT @dpbrugler:Te'o is getting dinged bc he was unfairly hyped as elite. He's not a bad NFL prospect, just very avg in several areas >>This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Don't get me wrong, I would like to have far more athleticism at that position. However, I'd rather have what Ray brought to the table than what Tavares Gooden brought to the table. All of the speed and quickness in the world, but totally lost on the field. Shooting the wrong gap, overrunning the play when he did shoot the right gap, missing tackles, staying injured.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    @NFLosophy: RT @dpbrugler:Te'o is getting dinged bc he was unfairly hyped as elite. He's not a bad NFL prospect, just very avg in several areas >>This

I'd agree with that. He's a better football player than he is an athlete.

We'd be in no danger of seeing him on a USA Olympic team any time soon.

Blog Entries

The way he's been hyped, you would have thought the issue was the hoax, versus the best LB in the draft. That is far from the case.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Maybe that's why Jones dominated?

Washington faced a lot of doubles.
    Can't say for sure that's what happened as I didn't pay much attention to Washington when I watched UGA games, but I seriously doubt that they would double Washington to leave Jones one on one. UGA had plenty of other guys to throw at OL's as well.

Washington had half a sack all season long. He had a better year in 2011 with 5 sacks...1 sack in 2010, and 4 in 2009. 10.5 sacks in 4 years isn't what you'd expect from a guy with those computer numbers.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

He seemed to have a JJ/Bart Scott role in Georgia's defense, doing all the dirty work and letting other guys shine.

This is a very good point. I said a while back that Te'o wasn't really "dropping," his stock was just stabilizing to the point that it should have been all along. His tape is that of a late 1st or early 2nd rounder, and even if he's the best ILB in the class neither he nor anyone else is even close to being a Kuechly/Cushing/Willis type of prospect.

Guys like Mel Kiper (who said the Chiefs should take Te'o #1 overall) and Mike Mayock (who never met a Notre Dame player he wouldn't slobber over) ought to be ashamed of themselves for letting their bias overcome them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    This is a very good point. I said a while back that Te'o wasn't really "dropping," his stock was just stabilizing to the point that it should have been all along. His tape is that of a late 1st or early 2nd rounder, and even if he's the best ILB in the class neither he nor anyone else is even close to being a Kuechly/Cushing/Willis type of prospect.

Guys like Mel Kiper (who said the Chiefs should take Te'o #1 overall) and Mike Mayock (who never met a Notre Dame player he wouldn't slobber over) ought to be ashamed of themselves for letting their bias overcome them.
    I would take Te'o's brain as a MLB over most of them. In zone coverage he is almost always in the right spot. IN run D he reads the play well shoots the right gap and doesn't over commit.

But if he gets singled up in man coverage... well... we might have just asked Ray Lewis to stay on for another year.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

Yep I always felt he was overhyped. Not sure why he's been so hyped up. I guess because he plays at Notre Dame and they were good last season.