Page 4 of 66 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    Look, it's very early in the process to determine anything, and, despite what that scout said about Barrett, I expect him to be a fairly high draft pick. Once the combine and pre-draft workouts are complete he should ascend. I say take him at 32 and call it a night.

I thin k there is too much need on D and talent to take Jones at 32. Id' take hi in the second though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    From what I seen, he struggles badly when the pocket gets "muddy".
    Watch his bowl game against Vanderbilt if you want to see what I'd expect from him.

Look, it's very early in the process to determine anything, and, despite what that scout said about Barrett, I expect him to be a fairly high draft pick. Once the combine and pre-draft workouts are complete he should ascend. I say take him at 32 and call it a night.
    Barrett is not likely to ascend as he isn't going to star in workouts. He isn't going to test all that well...his big plus is going to be watching tape.

And it's not just Jeremiah...who learned everything as far as how to scout from Ozzie. Mayock has him as the 3rd best center. There are virtually no respected media types putting Jones in the first/early-mid second round range...and quite a few have him in the 3rd and below.

Now that doesn't mean that he won't be a good pro. But taking him at 32 is overdrafting when he can almost assuredly be had later...and there is a good chance it will be significantly later.

I would be pretty pissed if we took him that high.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I remember Ko before the draft and hoped the Ravens were considering him to replace Ben Grubbs, but then totally forgot about him after Cordy Glenns combine performance. So when the Ravens drafted him, I was pretty chuffed after forgetting about him. I had him in one of my mock drafts, if only I kept him on there with Pierce and Gino as 3rd and 4th round picks that I got right, I would have been 100 % if belicheat didn't steal Hightower away from us. Tbf, i thought Upshaw was going to go way higher than he did, I had him going to the Jets actually.
    No doubt.

A lot of us thought Upshaw was going to be a top 20 pick.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Flacco looked better pre draft than Glennon has looked. Glennon looked flat out bad at times during the senior bowl game, and that was with Flacco coming from an FCS school.
    Flacco didn't look good at the Senior Bowl either.

I'm not in anyway saying that Glennon will be the same player that Joe is, but let's not make Joe out to have been this guy who was a sure thing coming out...most people/scouts thought he was a second round pick.

We took him because we were afraid someone was going to come back into the first to take him...same thing may happen with Glennon.

I'm just saying physically, watching them throw they look similar and the comparison most are making is to Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Glennon has all the physical talent you need. And predictions are meaningless, but I'd be surprised if he was anything other than a steaming hot pile of mark sanchez if he gets to play in the NFL.
    He'll get to play...someone is going to take him and try to make him their franchise QB.

It remains to be seen how good he is though.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I suppose we have to understand the difference between what Ozzie values in evaluating a prospect, and what would drive other teams to take a player prematurely. Ozzie values college production first and foremost. You can see that in the players that he takes. The vast majority of them are not guys who would be stars at the combine. However, other teams could think differently and have thought differently, if a player could shine at the combine. Jones is not expected to shine at the combine. Then again, I wouldn't expect many of Alabama's offensive linemen to shine at the combine.

Actually, now that I think about it, I can't remember many of their players shining, per se, at the combine.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

When Glennon has a clean pocket to throw from, he can really spin it. He can launch the thing too.

However, when the pocket breaks down, he doesn't step up or evade. He backpedals and then throws off of his back foot.

That can be coached, but the guy has to be ok with taking a hit.

Blog Entries

Watch out for EJ Manuel, Tyler Bray, and Mike Glennon to possibly slip into the first round.
    I think Bray will go in the first and also Barkley. I still say at least 4 or 5 QBs will be taken; it gets the fan base excited

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Bray is interesting.

Him weighing in at 232lbs is a good thing for him since he is right around 6'6".

He has a rifle on him too.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    When Glennon has a clean pocket to throw from, he can really spin it. He can launch the thing too.

However, when the pocket breaks down, he doesn't step up or evade. He backpedals and then throws off of his back foot.

That can be coached, but the guy has to be ok with taking a hit.
    He won't be the first high draft pick with those questions. And he won't be the last.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Bray is interesting.

Him weighing in at 232lbs is a good thing for him since he is right around 6'6".

He has a rifle on him too.
    I said before in this thread...I think due to Bray's size and arm, he will be a big surprise if he does well explaining his off field issues to teams

Blog Entries

I still think Ryan Nassib is the most intriguing QB in this draft class.

Just under 6'3" almost 230lbs, mobile, can really drive passes down the field, has decent tough, not afraid to take a hit, smart guy...

Reminds a lot of people of Jake Locker.