Page 18 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1617181920 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't know about others, but in 2013, I absolutely would NOT draft Casey Hampton in the first round. The game has changed a ton since 2001.
    You can't just complete go for finesse players, its not like the league has totally forgotten about running the ball. Hell, we had one of the worst rushing defenses in football in 2012.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Well, let's look at how the Ravens could be looking at this. Are they looking for a run stuffing NT who will allow Ngata to stay at NG and have his pass rush abilities better utilized? Are they looking for a three down player that could potentially replace Ngata in two years? Are they looking for both? You could argue that considering both is not a bad idea. Even if Ngata returns to form, which he probably will need better NT play to do, he too is getting up there in years. Vince Wilforks don't grow on trees.
    :word

I actually see more Wilfolk in Williams than Hampton, but I would take both in a heartbeat if I they were young again. People are so caught up in pass rushers and who can rush the passer, but its not all about that in this league.

Blog Entries

Is thier anything more pointless than watching OLman running a 40 yard dash?

Blog Entries

Sam Montgomery says he tries to play like Terrell Suggs. I've heard the comparison before actually.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    :word

I actually see more Wilfolk in Williams than Hampton, but I would take both in a heartbeat if I they were young again. People are so caught up in pass rushers and who can rush the passer, but its not all about that in this league.
    I actually think that Hampton could have been more of a pocket penetration guy if it weren't for LeBeau's scheme. Not that he would have been as good a rusher as a run defender, I'm not saying that. LeBeau's scheme just didn't ask that of him. His job was to set it up for the edge guys.

The Ravens haven't had those edge guys. Suggs has been the only one, and I think that's played a role in what they've asked Ngata to do.

I can't remember if it was Ozzie Newsome or Eric DeCosta, but one of them admitted that in a re-do they would have taken Jarret Johnson in the first round. If they'd take him in the first, I think they'd take a Casey Hampton type player if he is really good in that spot. Hampton has caused them problems for years and the Ravens run defense struggled. When you combine that with the number of read option offenses that are popping up, I think you'll find that they'll have to be more up on their run defense.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Sam Montgomery says he tries to play like Terrell Suggs. I've heard the comparison before actually.
    I also heard that he somewhat admitted that he didn't play as hard against lesser competition.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

You can't just complete go for finesse players, its not like the league has totally forgotten about running the ball. Hell, we had one of the worst rushing defenses in football in 2012.
    So...if you can rush the passer and/or versatile you are finesse?

Are the Giants a finesse team?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    So...if you can rush the passer and/or versatile you are finesse?

Are the Giants a finesse team?
    You are missing my point. I'm talking about DTs. Some people seem to be against Jesse Williams, because he isn't an ideal pass rushing DT (which is debatable IMO), but forget that players like him allow others around him to get an easier time making plays, rushing the passer etc. Casey Hampton wasn't only useful against the run, he helped the edge rushers have an easier time getting to the QB.

We had one of the worst rushing defenses in football in 2012, its an area that we must improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    Dig it. Just turn away after 10 yards really. Running "squares", running steps/bleachers and performing step aerobics -- each for time -- would be way more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    I'm guessing that talking about OLmen running a 40 yard dash might rank higher on the Pointless Activity Scale.;)

Blog Entries

I could care less about 40 yard times as long as said player isn't incredibly slow, and runs a 5.7 or something.