Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 790
  1. #211
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,337
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread



    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  2. #212

    Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    You can't just complete go for finesse players, its not like the league has totally forgotten about running the ball. Hell, we had one of the worst rushing defenses in football in 2012.
    So...if you can rush the passer and/or versatile you are finesse?

    Are the Giants a finesse team?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  3. #213
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    So...if you can rush the passer and/or versatile you are finesse?

    Are the Giants a finesse team?
    You are missing my point. I'm talking about DTs. Some people seem to be against Jesse Williams, because he isn't an ideal pass rushing DT (which is debatable IMO), but forget that players like him allow others around him to get an easier time making plays, rushing the passer etc. Casey Hampton wasn't only useful against the run, he helped the edge rushers have an easier time getting to the QB.

    We had one of the worst rushing defenses in football in 2012, its an area that we must improve.




  4. #214

    Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    Is thier anything more pointless than watching OLman running a 40 yard dash?
    Dig it. Just turn away after 10 yards really. Running "squares", running steps/bleachers and performing step aerobics -- each for time -- would be way more valuable.




  5. #215
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    7,793

    Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    Is thier anything more pointless than watching OLman running a 40 yard dash?
    I'm guessing that talking about OLmen running a 40 yard dash might rank higher on the Pointless Activity Scale.




  6. #216
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

    I could care less about 40 yard times as long as said player isn't incredibly slow, and runs a 5.7 or something.




  7. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    You are missing my point. I'm talking about DTs. Some people seem to be against Jesse Williams, because he isn't an ideal pass rushing DT (which is debatable IMO), but forget that players like him allow others around him to get an easier time making plays, rushing the passer etc. Casey Hampton wasn't only useful against the run, he helped the edge rushers have an easier time getting to the QB.

    We had one of the worst rushing defenses in football in 2012, its an area that we must improve.
    No I'm not missing your point...I'm saying there are DT's who can do both.

    I would not want a DT who is inept at stopping the run either.

    And I'm not even saying those one dimensional guys don't have a place in the NFL...just not in the first round IMHO.

    Winning in the NFL is based on QB play and the passing game. Those 200 yard games...we still won those games because you don't get points by running the ball.

    And Casey Hampton was very, very rarely on the field on passing downs, even in his prime, so I don't know where you are getting that he made it easier for others to get to the QB.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  8. #218
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,832
    Blog Entries
    3
    The 40 only matters for skill positions.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  9. #219
    I thought Kyle Long looked like he has the athletic ability to be a good developmental LT...I'd love to take a shot on him late on day 2


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  10. #220
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    No I'm not missing your point...I'm saying there are DT's who can do both.

    I would not want a DT who is inept at stopping the run either.

    And I'm not even saying those one dimensional guys don't have a place in the NFL...just not in the first round IMHO.

    Winning in the NFL is based on QB play and the passing game. Those 200 yard games...we still won those games because you don't get points by running the ball.

    And Casey Hampton was very, very rarely on the field on passing downs, even in his prime, so I don't know where you are getting that he made it easier for others to get to the QB.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Those guys coming out of college that can do both (rush the passer, and stop the run) usually go in the top 15, as you will see with Louteilei, Floyd, and Richardson. We are picking at 32, and aren't going to find many guys without issues. If you can find a DT who is at least great at stopping the run, I'm taking him at 32, purely because there aren't many other options at that point. Had we been picking a little higher, maybe I'd agree with you.

    Besides, I think Jesse Williams is more along the lines of Vince Wilfolk and is a lot more versatile than Hampton. He can play 5 technique aswell as NT.




  11. #221
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Those guys coming out of college that can do both (rush the passer, and stop the run) usually go in the top 15, as you will see with Louteilei, Floyd, and Richardson. We are picking at 32, and aren't going to find many guys without issues. If you can find a DT who is at least great at stopping the run, I'm taking him at 32, purely because there aren't many other options at that point. Had we been picking a little higher, maybe I'd agree with you.

    Besides, I think Jesse Williams is more along the lines of Vince Wilfolk and is a lot more versatile than Hampton. He can play 5 technique aswell as NT.
    Of course the best go early...the best/most versatile at all positions go earlier than others. But that doesn't mean that you can't get them later.

    And frankly, with that approach, you can get high quality one dimensional guys later too.

    And the big reason we disagree about Williams in particular is that you think he is comparable to Wilfork...and I totally disagree.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  12. #222
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Of course the best go early...the best/most versatile at all positions go earlier than others. But that doesn't mean that you can't get them later.

    And frankly, with that approach, you can get high quality one dimensional guys later too.

    And the big reason we disagree about Williams in particular is that you think he is comparable to Wilfork...and I totally disagree.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Greg Cosell said that he has really quick feet and plays a lot smaller than he is (in a good way) that to me is similar to Wilfolk. Please tell me how you think he is totally not comparable to Wilfolk?



    My takes from this game are.

    - Any talk about him having no potential as a pass rusher is nonsense, there are several occasions where he is collapsing the pocket and forcing Bray into making bone headed throws.
    - Total force in the run game, which goes without saying.
    - Consistent motor, and doesn't really seem to take plays off like a lot of the big guys do.
    - Jumps up to bat the ball down a lot.
    - At times he was being triple teamed.
    - There were times when he was lining up opposite a future NFL guard in Dallas Thomas and bull rushing him backwards.
    - DOesn't just line up at NT, he offers versatility can can play as a 3-4 end too.

    To me has potential to be an every down DT in this league. I think a lot of people are mistaking him to be just another elite college run stuffer from Alabama who wont make much of a difference in the NFL. I cannot disagree more, and I would put him number 4 on DT rankings.




  13. #223
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    7,793

    Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I thought Kyle Long looked like he has the athletic ability to be a good developmental LT...I'd love to take a shot on him late on day 2
    He will probably be gone earlier than later on day two.




  14. #224

    Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

    Kyle Long definitely made a lot of money today. He's a great athlete for his size. Can play guard or tackle.




  15. #225

    Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

    I completely agree with Leach on Jesse Williams. The guy is an extremely stout nose tackle against the run and like Leach says he can push the pocket as well. I believe he has the potential to be a good pass rusher because of the athlete he is. He has a background of rugby similar to Ngata. Williams is no Ngata but he is not a Mount Cody either. He actual has athleticism and has special upper body strength with great feet. Cody I think got something like 21 reps at the combine. Williams has said he expects to break the combine bench press record, so I would expect him to get 40+ in reps. He would make our whole front 7 better.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland