Page 12 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Funny, I don't see that key word "consider" anywhere in that post of yours. Even Lane Johnson in the teens would cost the Ravens most of their picks in rounds 2 through 5. So they would end up with one potentially good OT and a bunch of role players/special teasers. That's not a good draft.
    How do you know their other picks would just end up as role players though? Dennis Pitta was a mid-round pick, as was Marshal Yanda and Lardarius Webb. Arthur Jones and Pernell McPhee were both fifth round picks.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    Julio Jones is a monster. I'd say Atlanta almost got their value back on that one. That kid is a freak.
    Jones is the real deal. You could argue that Atlanta could've gotten close to equal value by drafting Torrey and using those draft picks elsewhere.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    And you have no idea what the trade would be in moving up to get a guy like that if he falls.
    Well, you do have some idea. Although it's not written in stone and there is some flexibility, most teams have a copy of the NFL Draft Pick Trade Chart, and most teams would refer to it. It's kind of like the Kelley Blue Book for used cars. It's a pretty good guide to what the value of a pick happens to be.

Blog Entries

I think that you could look at the Atlanta trade two different ways. They got Julio Jones, but they were unable to upgrade other areas of that team that were clearly lacking. For all of that, they have only come out with one playoff victory. Meanwhile, they've struggled to run the ball to close out games and their defense has struggled to hold leads. In essence, they have a very good dimension, but it is the only dimension they have.

Now, as far as Cleveland wanting to or not wanting to do that trade again, if we are talking about the Ravens instead of the Browns, would our perception change? I believe it would, because we would all expect the Ravens to do more with those picks.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Lane won't fall anyway. It was just an idea if he did. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    How do you know their other picks would just end up as role players though? Dennis Pitta was a mid-round pick, as was Marshal Yanda and Lardarius Webb. Arthur Jones and Pernell McPhee were both fifth round picks.
    Pitta was a 4th, Webb and Yanda both 3rds. Those are the picks you would lose moving from 32 to 18.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I think that you could look at the Atlanta trade two different ways. They got Julio Jones, but they were unable to upgrade other areas of that team that were clearly lacking. For all of that, they have only come out with one playoff victory. Meanwhile, they've struggled to run the ball to close out games and their defense has struggled to hold leads. In essence, they have a very good dimension, but it is the only dimension they have.

Now, as far as Cleveland wanting to or not wanting to do that trade again, if we are talking about the Ravens instead of the Browns, would our perception change? I believe it would, because we would all expect the Ravens to do more with those picks.
    My point exactly
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

Blog Entries

Pitta was a 4th, Webb and Yanda both 3rds. Those are the picks you would lose moving from 32 to 18.
    You are going to have a fourth, at least, right behind where you pick in that round anyway, from the comp pick.

These TEs look really intriguing. Too bad the Ravens don't need one. It's a good problem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    Lane won't fall anyway. It was just an idea if he did. That is all.
    If he tumbled into the mid-20s, I could see it. I just think Ozzie would rather have flexibility in the 2nd-4th rounds to be able to move around and get the guys he wants, and won't trade away his draft to get one guy.

I am sure Atlanta would love to have some of those picks back to perhaps grab some defensive players to prevent blowing big leads like they did this past season. Julio is a beast, no question, but a receiver generally won't put you over the top.

If he tumbled into the mid-20s, I could see it. I just think Ozzie would rather have flexibility in the 2nd-4th rounds to be able to move around and get the guys he wants, and won't trade away his draft to get one guy.
    He shouldn't tumble to the 20s, which is why I suggested the teens. He's too good to be there that late.