Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 63646566 LastLast

Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I'd be pretty happy with walter football's latest Raven's mock:

1) Johnathan Hankins
    2) DJ Swearinger
    3) Da'Rick Rogers
    4) Tyrann Mathieu
    This is a pretty good top 4 picks. Not addressing ILB, OT, or interior OL depth is a little concerning, and Mathieu in the 4th is very questionable depending on who else was on the board at that point... but it's 4 very talented players who could all easily be the BPA at that spot.

The top 3 picks are all either potential day-1 starters or quick contributors, which is what we need most out of this draft. Swearinger and Rogers in particular are two of my favorite players in the class. I would be much less concerned potentially cutting Boldin if we had Rogers on the roster--Rogers is pretty much a younger, faster Anquan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    This is a pretty good top 4 picks. Not addressing ILB, OT, or interior OL depth is a little concerning, and Mathieu in the 4th is very questionable depending on who else was on the board at that point... but it's 4 very talented players who could all easily be the BPA at that spot.

The top 3 picks are all either potential day-1 starters or quick contributors, which is what we need most out of this draft. Swearinger and Rogers in particular are two of my favorite players in the class. I would be much less concerned potentially cutting Boldin if we had Rogers on the roster--Rogers is pretty much a younger, faster Anquan.
    Keep in mind all of the other picks that the Ravens have; they could address OL and ILB there

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Mark May (who I think is a complete asshat btw) was pretty harsh on Te'o this morning on ESPN. Can't say that I really disagree with him.

May: "This guy has had a month and a half to prepare for the combine. He's had speed coaches. He's had strength coaches. He had positional coaches. He even is touting that he lost almost 10lbs to get faster...and all you could do was that? He is a mid to late 2nd rounder, at best. Any GM that drafts him in round 1 should be fired that same day."
    Mark May has a point, to a point. But that guy is such a total tool box I can't agree with that he says.

So I will say this. I still think Te'o is one of the better ILB in the draft, but that's partly because I don't think there really any great ones (as of right now). The other part is from a mental standpoint, I think he is the best hands down on identifying the play, where it's going, where to be in coverage etc.

I would not want to use pick #32 on him. Depending on who is available than it's either a trade back and trade other picks to trade up and see if you can't grab a good DT at 32 or 39 and Te'o somewhere else in the 2nd round.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Mark May has a point, to a point. But that guy is such a total tool box I can't agree with that he says.

So I will say this. I still think Te'o is one of the better ILB in the draft, but that's partly because I don't think there really any great ones (as of right now). The other part is from a mental standpoint, I think he is the best hands down on identifying the play, where it's going, where to be in coverage etc.

I would not want to use pick #32 on him. Depending on who is available than it's either a trade back and trade other picks to trade up and see if you can't grab a good DT at 32 or 39 and Te'o somewhere else in the 2nd round.
    Mark May really is a tool, huh?

I've never liked him. He's a condescending prick.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Mark May really is a tool, huh?

I've never liked him. He's a condescending prick.
    And he is an over the top hater of Notre Dame. He is an analyst, or supposed to be and he doesn't even try to hide it. Seriously for the longest time I thought he played at USC with the way he would take sides in that rivalry. Come to find out he played at Pitt... Pitt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    And he is an over the top hater of Notre Dame. He is an analyst, or supposed to be and he doesn't even try to hide it. Seriously for the longest time I thought he played at USC with the way he would take sides in that rivalry. Come to find out he played at Pitt... Pitt.
    He is a big time Ohio State hater as well. I'm convinced he is pissed b/c he never a got a scholly from those schools.

Like you said, you're an analyst stop blatantly hating on teams that YOU don't like. You want to see an unbiased analyst see Kirk Herbstriet. Hell Ohio State fans ran him out of Columbus for some of the comments he said about OSU, even though they were truthful.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNest View Post
    He is a big time Ohio State hater as well. I'm convinced he is pissed b/c he never a got a scholly from those schools.

Like you said, you're an analyst stop blatantly hating on teams that YOU don't like. You want to see an unbiased analyst see Kirk Herbstriet. Hell Ohio State fans ran him out of Columbus for some of the comments he said about OSU, even though they were truthful.
    I like Herbstreit a lot. Another analyst who if he has any bias but doesn't show it is Jay Bilas (different sport though).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

TBH, I'm starting to value Dline over ILB for us. Yeah we probably need another ILB on the roster, especially if we cut Jameel McClain. However, assuming we manage to re-sign Ellerbe, you can add someone on the cheap in FA, preferably more of a coverage LB, like a Nick Barnett (I have no idea how much he'd cost at this point). Also, who woudl you rather start, Terrence Cody or Jameel McClain/Josh Bynes? I think I'd rather have Bynes next to Ellerbe than have another year of Cody getting pushed back yard after yard. He was the root of our run defense issues IMO, along with Ma'ake. Bynes and Ellerbe were pretty solid down the stretch before Ray returned, I like Bynes in coverage too. Not saying we should go in with that next season, I think you bring someone in, but I'd rather take a falling talent like a Johnathan Hankins to play NT/DE any day. The guy is more of a run stuffing lineman, but can collapse the pocket, and IMO can be a 3 down lineman. He'd be a day 1 starter in-between Ngata and Art Jones/McPhee.

I'm not too sure about Mathieu, but DJ Swearinger is my favorite DB in this class, and I want him to be a Raven somehow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    TBH, I'm starting to value Dline over ILB for us. Yeah we probably need another ILB on the roster, especially if we cut Jameel McClain. However, assuming we manage to re-sign Ellerbe, you can add someone on the cheap in FA, preferably more of a coverage LB, like a Nick Barnett (I have no idea how much he'd cost at this point). Also, who woudl you rather start, Terrence Cody or Jameel McClain/Josh Bynes? I think I'd rather have Bynes next to Ellerbe than have another year of Cody getting pushed back yard after yard. He was the root of our run defense issues IMO, along with Ma'ake. Bynes and Ellerbe were pretty solid down the stretch before Ray returned, I like Bynes in coverage too. Not saying we should go in with that next season, I think you bring someone in, but I'd rather take a falling talent like a Johnathan Hankins to play NT/DE any day. The guy is more of a run stuffing lineman, but can collapse the pocket, and IMO can be a 3 down lineman. He'd be a day 1 starter in-between Ngata and Art Jones/McPhee.
    Plus you would assume having a stronger front would relieve some pressure on the LBs. Cody was letting people bust right through.

Blog Entries

Plus you would assume having a stronger front would relieve some pressure on the LBs. Cody was letting people bust right through.
    :word

We all know elite Dlines make average LBs look better. Look at how Jameel benefitted from that 2010-2011 Dline.

I'd be pretty happy with walter football's latest Raven's mock:

1) Johnathan Hankins
    2) DJ Swearinger
    3) Da'Rick Rogers
    4) Tyrann Mathieu
    I like that draft too although as others have stated, the lack of an ILB and LT is concerning.

I think I'd also swap Hankins for Datone Jones...as time goes on, I'm getting more and more on the Jones train.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I like that draft too although as others have stated, the lack of an ILB and LT is concerning.

I think I'd also swap Hankins for Datone Jones...as time goes on, I'm getting more and more on the Jones train.
    I don't think Jones gets past Seattle, infact I think Seattle are going to do everything in their power to get him. I've got a few friends over here who are Seahawks fans, and I've been reading their boards, and team sources suggest that they are VERY interested in Datone Jones, and would play him at Red Bryants RDE spot and move Bryant inside to his more natural position at DT. Perfect fit for that team. I'd still be pretty happy with Hankins though.

I really don't get how the guy doesn't get more praise, to me he looks like a top 15 talent on tape, he almost ALWAYS collapses the pocket.