Page 26 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2425262728 ... LastLast

Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I said months ago, even after that lame Senior Bowl performance by the QB's that there would be up to 4 taken.

There are too many teams desperate for QB's with literally almost zero quality guys out there.
    I still don't see a single QB worthy of a first round pick... doesn't mean it won't happen, and quite obviously it won't occurr that way, but hat's what I see.

Tavon Austin does not necessarily equal a system change at all.
    If you put him out-wide most of the time then yes....but that's just not smart.

Cut Leach, diminish Dickson to a true back-up role, and use Austin as a chess piece.
    Slot opposite from Boldin, set him up in the H-Back position, single set back position, or out-wide opposite Torrey. Motion him and Shift him.

If anything, Austin would make DC's change their scheme. You can't have your LB shift over to cover him. Not even a safety can cover him effectively IMO. And with a 1 1/2 - 2 yard cushion from the slot, he'll be able to release by many CBs. I saw him make a guy miss tackling him twice within 3 seconds over less than 10 yards, so I'm pretty sure that he can get by most defenders that fail to get their hands on him. So go ahead DC, put your quickest CB or tallest CB on Austin...now the advantage shifts to Torrey or Anquan's match-up. And that Rice guy ain't too bad coming out of the backfield either.

Not drafting Austin b/c you don't think he's BPA when you're on the clock is one thing (although I think he's BPA behind The Joker, Fischer and Star), but not drafting Austin b/c you don't think you can use him properly or effectively is not smart IMO.

Hell, I'm not sure that I can spend $100M properly or effectively, but I'm sure as hell going to have fun figuring it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I still don't see a single QB worthy of a first round pick... doesn't mean it won't happen, and quite obviously it won't occurr that way, but hat's what I see.
    What we think as fans, and what might happen in a vacuum, and what GMs are thinking - those are three very different things. Nobody thought Seattle made a good choice taking Bruce Irvin with the 15th pick last year, but that worked out pretty well for them.

Mellette (Elon) runs an unofficial 4.47

Geeze. I've watch so much film and so many interviews that I recognize all of these guys without the graphic captions.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Not drafting Austin b/c you don't think he's BPA when you're on the clock is one thing (although I think he's BPA behind The Joker, Fischer and Star), but not drafting Austin b/c you don't think you can use him properly or effectively is not smart IMO.
    A team that passes on him for that reason will kick themselves in a year or two.

There are so many fast receivers out there. Holy crap.

Swope (TAMU) ran a 4.44

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    What we think doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Tavon Austin does not necessarily equal a system change at all.
    If you put him out-wide most of the time then yes....but that's just not smart.

Cut Leach, diminish Dickson to a true back-up role, and use Austin as a chess piece.
    Slot opposite from Boldin, set him up in the H-Back position, single set back position, or out-wide opposite Torrey. Motion him and Shift him.

If anything, Austin would make DC's change their scheme. You can't have your LB shift over to cover him. Not even a safety can cover him effectively IMO. And with a 1 1/2 - 2 yard cushion from the slot, he'll be able to release by many CBs. I saw him make a guy miss tackling him twice within 3 seconds over less than 10 yards, so I'm pretty sure that he can get by most defenders that fail to get their hands on him. So go ahead DC, put your quickest CB or tallest CB on Austin...now the advantage shifts to Torrey or Anquan's match-up. And that Rice guy ain't too bad coming out of the backfield either.

Hell, I'm not sure that I can spend $100M properly or effectively, but I'm sure as hell going to have fun figuring it out.
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    What we think as fans, and what might happen in a vacuum, and what GMs are thinking - those are three very different things. Nobody thought Seattle made a good choice taking Bruce Irvin with the 15th pick last year, but that worked out pretty well for them.
    Yup.

I keep going back to this...Joe Flacco was not looked at as a first round pick by the vast majority of media/fans/draftniks/most GM's either when he came out. When he was drafted in the middle of the first, it was looked at as a very big reach.

Just because we don't think someone is worth a first round pick doesn't mean that they won't be picked there by a desperate team and/or the QB won't pan out.

Never underestimate teams that in desperate need of a QB.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Receiver could possibly be the deepest position

Wheaton (Oregon St) 4.34
    Conner Varron(?) Duke 4.59

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Receiver could possibly be the deepest position
    DT is really good as well...