Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

Watch out for EJ Manuel, Tyler Bray, and Mike Glennon to possibly slip into the first round.

Blog Entries

We all know teams reach for QB's. I won't be surprised if we see a run on QB's in the 1st.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    We all know teams reach for QB's. I won't be surprised if we see a run on QB's in the 1st.
    All the better for us I guess

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    He played everywhere along the o-line at the preeminent program in college. Put him anywhere as far as I am concerned. With a versatile guy like that, you can let training camp and the preseason games sort out his week one position.
    There is no way that I draft Barret Jones in the first round. The only way and I still would not do it is if the Ravens knew with certainty Gino could not handle center. You can't take a guy in round 1 because he is versatile. Not when you have a hole at LT, DT, LB and FS. His best positions would be guard or center and that is not a need. I might take him him with the 2nd round pick. He also plays on a great line and with a guard some regard as best to come out in years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    All the better for us I guess
    Yep makes more guys fall to us.

Blog Entries
    I think Nassib, Glennon, Smith, and Manuel may all go in round 1, we shall see...
    Not sure about Manuel, but the others I agree with for sure. I think Nassib is a total darkhorse. No one is really talking about him.

Big guy, good arm, mobile...

I think Buffalo drafts him.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Mike Glennon measured in at 6'7", the guy looks like a twig

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    There is no way that I draft Barret Jones in the first round. The only way and I still would not do it is if the Ravens knew with certainty Gino could not handle center. You can't take a guy in round 1 because he is versatile. Not when you have a hole at LT, DT, LB and FS. His best positions would be guard or center and that is not a need. I might take him him with the 2nd round pick. He also plays on a great line and with a guard some regard as best to come out in years.
    I agree with the premise of your post but people need to stop thinking so much about needs when it comes to the draft. Ozzie will take the best player on his board regardless of needs unless its a QB or a RB, and in this case probably a guard or a center. FA is where you fill your holes with veterans, the rookies are the long term players, and may challenge the signed veterans to that starting position, but normally, rookies just aren't seen as starters on good teams like the Ravens, even first round picks have a 50/50 shot at starting depending on how NFL ready they are.

There are holes on every NFL team, we will fill them accordingly. Joe Flacco will be signed, and will have a lower cap hit for 2013, which will enable us to make some moves. Ellerbe will likely be re-signed while Reed is 50/50 right now IMO. If Reed isn't re-signed, there will be a vet to replace him. The Ravens will not go into the draft relying on a top flight prospect to be there at 32 who is NFL ready (Matt Elam, and Kenny Vaccorro).

Blog Entries

I agree with the premise of your post but people need to stop thinking so much about needs when it comes to the draft. Ozzie will take the best player on his board regardless of needs unless its a QB or a RB, and in this case probably a guard or a center. FA is where you fill your holes with veterans, the rookies are the long term players, and may challenge the signed veterans to that starting position, but normally, rookies just aren't seen as starters on good teams like the Ravens, even first round picks have a 50/50 shot at starting depending on how NFL ready they are.

There are holes on every NFL team, we will fill them accordingly. Joe Flacco will be signed, and will have a lower cap hit for 2013, which will enable us to make some moves. Ellerbe will likely be re-signed while Reed is 50/50 right now IMO. If Reed isn't re-signed, there will be a vet to replace him. The Ravens will not go into the draft relying on a top flight prospect to be there at 32 who is NFL ready (Matt Elam, and Kenny Vaccorro).
    Just look at how we got Pierce last year. Ozzie stays true to his board and picks the best player there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Just look at how we got Pierce last year. Ozzie stays true to his board and picks the best player there.
    Exactly.

Needs are actually considered in Ozzies "BPA" philosophy I guess. Its not strictly whoever the best player is, but it is pretty close to it. Bernard Pierce could be considered a moderate need last year, as Ricky Williams had retired, and our only back up RB was a 7th round pick from 2011. However, I seem to recall everyone screaming for a WR to be drafted around the 2nd-3rd round range, some even wanted one in the 1st round. We filled the number 3 spot in FA with Jacoby Jones who did way more than everyone expected him to. While, we took the BPA on the Ravens board and landed us another stud RB.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    I want Barrett Jones in the first.
    He will be there in the second round.

I think Nassib, Glennon, Smith, and Manuel may all go in round 1, we shall see...
    Yeah, I don't know about Manuel, but the others sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Mike Glennon measured in at 6'7", the guy looks like a twig
    Joe Flacco is making Glennon a lot of money...just the pre draft comparisons...everybody compares him to Joe. Somebody is going to absolutely fall in love with his arm...he has a terrific arm and has practically the same frame Joe had coming out.

Bray too...don't be shocked if Bray rockets up into the early second.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Could Chris Johnson's 40 yard dash record go down?: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ons-40-record/
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore