Page 13 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 ... LastLast

Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    You are going to have a fourth, at least, right behind where you pick in that round anyway, from the comp pick.
    And? . . .

The point is that you would be losing three fairly valuable picks that you could use to move around to get more than one guy in the 2th-4th rounds. I don't think mortgaging the non-comp picks to get one guy is worth the resulting inflexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaRaven View Post
    These TEs look really intriguing. Too bad the Ravens don't need one. It's a good problem to have.
    Not sure we really don't need one. Dickson and Pitta are both RFAs, and I can only see Pitta being here long-term. We might need to draft someone for depth.

These TEs look really intriguing. Too bad the Ravens don't need one. It's a good problem to have.
    I certainly disagree. We certainly need someone who can block, and really, IMO, should be lookign to replace Dickson. Pitta should get a contract to stay fro a while, but Dickson, I'm not sure he should even get the Orignial draft round tender at $1.3m

That said, I eally jsut want Michael Williams from Alabama, who could be around for our 5th rounder, btu certainly the 4th/comp 4th area. He's basically a 6th OT that has soft hands and limited speed.

I think Mayock said some teams are comparing the TE from San Diego State (Escobar?) to Tony Gonzalez. Wouldn't mind getting him.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Not sure.

Dude has lots of talent. He is a smooth and fluid runner with nice hands. Long arms. He quit or got booted off the team this year, but he claims that the coaching staff was abusive (Mike Leach). Considering who the HC was, I'm not so sure that Wilson was lying about that stuff. Leach is kind of a scumbag.

I would be down with Wilson as a mid to late round guy. He has a ton of upside and could legitimately be a #1 or #2 receiver in the NFL.

I think bmorecareful was (or is) pretty high on him.
    I remember our conversation about him from a few months back. We said that he needed to hit the weight room, firm up, and add good weight--he looks to have done that. 6'3 195 or so is OK, you'd still like to see him add another 10 pounds or so but his frame might be maxed out. Plenty of good receivers have been around that range, and if he kept his speed and quickness then he'll be fine.

The other thing he needs to do to get drafted in the mid rounds is interview well and clear up as much of the smoke as he can about his problems with Mike Leach. I agree with you that Mr. Leach is one of the worst scumbags in all of college football, so I'm not too put off by the fact that he and Wilson didn't get along, but I don't like that he quit on the team and I don't like his attitude. But he's a kid, he hasn't had any "real" trouble, and he can clear a lot up.

I'd have no problem with the Ravens spending a 5th or so on him. If he gets his head on straight he'll be a starting WR in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    I think Mayock said some teams are comparing the TE from San Diego State (Escobar?) to Tony Gonzalez. Wouldn't mind getting him.
    Gavin Escobar is one of my favorite players in the entire draft. I'm not going to stop beating the drum for him anytime soon. Hard to compare anybody to a first-ballot HOFer but Escobar's athleticism and catching ability are simply off the charts. I'd go crazy for the Ravens to add him, he'd be a phenomenal complement to Pitta in 2TE sets.

Cleveland is just inept. Any other franchise would've built a playoff contender with those draft picks. Atlanta has Dline issues and Oline concerns. I think those picks could've been used elsewhere.
    Considering what Jones has become, and the complete unknown as to what Atlanta would have done with those picks, they...and I think any team that would have made that trade...are more than happy with it.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    And? . . .

The point is that you would be losing three fairly valuable picks that you could use to move around to get more than one guy in the 2th-4th rounds. I don't think mortgaging the non-comp picks to get one guy is worth the resulting inflexibility.
    So, is extra flexibility worth it when you aren't likely going to even have close to 11 rookies make this team?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Armstead 4.71 official
    Johnson 4.72 official

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    So, is extra flexibility worth it when you aren't likely going to even have close to 11 rookies make this team?
    Who said anything about ending up with 11 guys? Trading a 5th to move up in the 2nd, or trading a 6th to move up in the 4th to be sure you get your guy - instead of having to let a guy fall to your compensatory pick? Yeah, I like that flexibility. That's how Bernard Pierce ends up in a Ravens' jersey. And it doesn't mean you end up with 11 guys, either. But you don't end up with just one by mortgaging your draft for a first round OT.

Blog Entries

It won't take five picks to move up to the teens and get your LT if he slips. You'll be fine and Joe will be well protected, IF you feel that guy is there.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

About Corey Fuller (the interviewed WR from VaTech), here's some film on Kevin Reddick (UNC ILB) vs. VaTech offense.
    I've watched this tape 2-3 times when evaluating Reddick, but haven't watched for Fuller. He's #83 and he went 5/143/1 in this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA6WRgstdW8

He also had good games vs. GaT, Clemson and FSU.
    Search for <Werner, Jackson, etc.> vs. Va. Tech for more Fuller.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 02-23-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Escobar just ran a 4.88, which is a TERRIBLE time for his athleticism, but the explanation is very simple: his form was miserable. Got off the line really slowly, bad jump out of his stance, and did not get up to top speed until late.

He's much faster than a 4.8 guy on tape. I believe Pitta ran in the 4.5 or low 4.6's, and Escobar is much faster in a straight line than Dennis.