Page 17 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1516171819 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I know that bmorecareful and a few others aren't high on him, but I think he'd be a good pick in the early 2nd round, he has very very quick feet similar to Wilfolk, Greg Cosell likes him too.
    They are saying he could be moving up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by landshark52 View Post

walterfootball.com has them up. Arthur Brown beefed up to 6-0 241, Kevin Minter was smaller than believed at 6-0 246, and Manti was only 6-1 241. Alonso (6-3 238) and Zaviar Gooden (6-1 234) seemed to be the only inside linebackers who were not above 240 lbs. Brandon Williams was at 6-1 335 with 32.5 inch arms. Some pretty good weigh-ins by these guys.
    That is great for Brown. If he maintained speed and athleticism with that bump in weight, it could really push him up draft boards.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

I know that bmorecareful and a few others aren't high on him, but I think he'd be a good pick in the early 2nd round, he has very very quick feet similar to Wilfolk, Greg Cosell likes him too.
    I'd like him in the 2nd. Definitely an upgrade over cream puff Cody. I would not be surprised if Williams had 35 or so reps in the 225 lift to Cody's very low 22.

Blog Entries

Hell we should get Jesse Williams and Watson, I'd be the designated accent translator on these boards then. Watson is from Manchester, if he has a thick Manchester accent good luck trying to understand him lol.

Right player, right price... I like Jesse Williams, just not before the 2nd round, and not before a few other guys that I happen to like more. No doubt Jesse Williams is going to be an elite run defender in the NFL, the thing that holds me back is I just don't see him ever contributing to the pass rush, which is why I like Brandon Williams and John Jenkins more. If the Ravens draft him above the guys I prefer then I won't be upset, they know way more than I do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    About Corey Fuller (the interviewed WR from VaTech), here's some film on Kevin Reddick (UNC ILB) vs. VaTech offense.
    I've watched this tape 2-3 times when evaluating Reddick, but haven't watched for Fuller. He's #83 and he went 5/143/1 in this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA6WRgstdW8

He also had good games vs. GaT, Clemson and FSU.
    Search for <Werner, Jackson, etc.> vs. Va. Tech for more Fuller.
    He seems like a good straight line receiver. Definitely raw.

I like him as a prospect though.

If they let Jacoby go they would need that straight line speed and Fuller brings solid height too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Do you actually think that was a bad trade for Atlanta?

I don't think Atlanta could be happier.

And I'm sure Cleveland would never make that trade again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I never like those kinds of trades. If Atl doesn't win a SB before Jones is off his rookie contract, it won't be worth it, because what they have is a team that's likely down two starters that it would have had with that extra 1st and that 2nd that got traded away (assuming by now they'd be starters, and probably good ones, you would hope).

They got one position upgrade, but downgrade at two. There's only 22 starters on an NFL team, so losing a first and a second rounder, you do put a significant dent in the depth and talent level of the team (you downgrade nearly 10% of your starting squad.

That downgrade has to be made up for somehow via FA (usually costs more $$ than rookies against the cap), or getting lucky lower in the draft. And "hoping to get lucky" is a pretty poor strategy, regardless of what you're doing.

So it's a gamble like most things, but I do not like the odds. A more complete team, with a less great #1 WR might have gotten to the SB and won. Instead, they missed by a hair.

That 2/22 position downgrade doesn't look too good when you view it in that light.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

Right player, right price... I like Jesse Williams, just not before the 2nd round, and not before a few other guys that I happen to like more. No doubt Jesse Williams is going to be an elite run defender in the NFL, the thing that holds me back is I just don't see him ever contributing to the pass rush, which is why I like Brandon Williams and John Jenkins more. If the Ravens draft him above the guys I prefer then I won't be upset, they know way more than I do.
    Kind of how I feel.

I do like Williams though. Good strong player. Probably would be better than Cody.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    idk, I see him collapsing the pocket on passing downs a lot. 3-4 NTs aren't really supposed to be that great as pure pass rushers either, good NTs eat up 2 blockers (I consistently seen him sometimes eating up 3 blockers, in the Tennessee game he had an outstanding game) and collapse the pocket allowing the players around him to have more room to make plays. If you had the chance to draft Casey Hampton, you would probably take it, Jesse Williams looks like Casey Hampton to me with more upside as a pass rusher. He is IMO not anything like Terrence Cody, much more athletic and stronger, I think he'd be a massive upgrade over Cody, and could be a 5 technique too. The Dline is a weakness that we must fix in order to replenish this defense. Ngata is still very good, and on his day, he is totally unblockable, but you of all people know he has probably 3 years left in this league, we need to add some more talented players to this line before that happens. Also, whoever we have at LB will greatly benefit from a space eating NT, I think Ellerbe is going to get a hefty contract from the Ravens once Flacco is signed, so we will want to have a legit NT in front of him, not Terrence Cody.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    I never like those kinds of trades. If Atl doesn't win a SB before Jones is off his rookie contract, it won't be worth it, because what they have is a team that's likely down two starters that it would have had with that extra 1st and that 2nd that got traded away (assuming by now they'd be starters, and probably good ones, you would hope).

They got one position upgrade, but downgrade at two. There's only 22 starters on an NFL team, so losing a first and a second rounder, you do put a significant dent in the depth and talent level of the team (you downgrade nearly 10% of your starting squad.

That downgrade has to be made up for somehow via FA (usually costs more $$ than rookies against the cap), or getting lucky lower in the draft. And "hoping to get lucky" is a pretty poor strategy, regardless of what you're doing.

So it's a gamble like most things, but I do not like the odds. A more complete team, with a less great #1 WR might have gotten to the SB and won. Instead, they missed by a hair.

That 2/22 position downgrade doesn't look too good when you view it in that light.
    I don't agree with that line of thinking at all.

You can't just assume that they are going to draft high end starters with those picks. I like to think we are a terrific drafting team, but hell, we have missed on late first rounders and we sure has hell have missed on second rounders. There is nothing to say that we know that just because they have 2 more picks that they would have made really good picks with what they traded.

But we do know that they hit an absolute home run on Jones.

If the player pans out, it's worth it. The Redskins would make the RGIII trade again. The 49ers would make the Jerry Rice trade again.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

idk, I see him collapsing the pocket on passing downs a lot. 3-4 NTs aren't really supposed to be that great as pure pass rushers either, good NTs eat up 2 blockers (I consistently seen him sometimes eating up 3 blockers, in the Tennessee game he had an outstanding game) and collapse the pocket allowing the players around him to have more room to make plays. If you had the chance to draft Casey Hampton, you would probably take it, Jesse Williams looks like Casey Hampton to me with more upside as a pass rusher. He is IMO not anything like Terrence Cody, much more athletic and stronger, I think he'd be a massive upgrade over Cody, and could be a 5 technique too. The Dline is a weakness that we must fix in order to replenish this defense. Ngata is still very good, and on his day, he is totally unblockable, but you of all people know he has probably 3 years left in this league, we need to add some more talented players to this line before that happens. Also, whoever we have at LB will greatly benefit from a space eating NT, I think Ellerbe is going to get a hefty contract from the Ravens once Flacco is signed, so we will want to have a legit NT in front of him, not Terrence Cody.
    I don't know about others, but in 2013, I absolutely would NOT draft Casey Hampton in the first round. The game has changed a ton since 2001.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Well, let's look at how the Ravens could be looking at this. Are they looking for a run stuffing NT who will allow Ngata to stay at NG and have his pass rush abilities better utilized? Are they looking for a three down player that could potentially replace Ngata in two years? Are they looking for both? You could argue that considering both is not a bad idea. Even if Ngata returns to form, which he probably will need better NT play to do, he too is getting up there in years. Vince Wilforks don't grow on trees.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore