Page 39 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3738394041 ... LastLast

Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    I would have no issue with them taking a true 5-technique DE / DT, because I really feel as though both Arthur Jones and Pernell McPhee are best suited to situational roles...but I think Ozzie needs to get a true NT in addition to that. Leave Ngata where he is, and get another player that DEMANDS a double team. Ngata's skill set is not being maximized having his main responsibility being nothing but eating up blockers.
    I don't necessarily disagree with you about preferring Ngata at DE/DT rather than NT, but I'm already kind of afraid that a lot of the burst and athleticism Ngata once had is gone. He's had serious lower body injuries pretty much continuously over the last 2 years, but he can still anchor against double teams and rag-doll guys on the interior. We know he can play the position at a very high level, he had an All-Pro caliber year in 2008 filling in for Kelly Gregg at NT. Putting him at NT and rotating him more often could keep him fresher and possibly extend his career.

I like the idea of bringing in a true NT prospect, and I think that's going to happen somewhere in the draft no matter what, but if you don't get somebody who's an immediate upgrade on Cody you have to have other plans in place. If we landed Datone Jones our talent at DE/DT would be really nice even without Ngata--Art Jones and DeAngelo Tyson are your run-stoppers, McPhee and Jones are your pass-rushers, and you have a really nice rotation there. Ngata would be able to really make an impact playing between those guys in both the run and pass, without needing to be the every-down guy he's been expected to be way too much.

Blog Entries

I would be OVER HE MOON with either Datone Jones or Margus Hunt.

I think the Ravens will really like both, Ozzie and Eric have both already stated how they like the DTs in this class.

Datone Jones absolutely DESTROYED the pac 12 Olines. He is like an athletic version of Cory Redding.

Brandon Williams looks jacked for a NT, runs a 5.2 forty

It'll be interesting to see what Teo, Minter, and Ogletree run in the 40. Teo or Minter could shoot up or down, depending on their 40. Also, interested in seeing how Star's health impacts the draft.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I would be OVER HE MOON with either Datone Jones or Margus Hunt.

I think the Ravens will really like both, Ozzie and Eric have both already stated how they like the DTs in this class.

Datone Jones absolutely DESTROYED the pac 12 Olines. He is like an athletic version of Cory Redding.
    I've seen a lot of twitter comments about Margus being a great workout guy but not really a great football player.

Blog Entries

Damontre Moore might fall with such a poor showing.

Poor reps. Poor speed.

How can Tavon Austin bench more reps than Moore?

I wouldn't be surprised to see him retroactively blame an undisclosed injury.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

Poor reps. Poor speed.

And he just pulled up lame on his second 40 attempt. What a shocker...now he has his excuse.

Blog Entries

I've seen a lot of twitter comments about Margus being a great workout guy but not really a great football player.
    He's raw, and up and down. How many freakish athletes like that make it in the NFL with poor college production? Quite a lot, when you consider guys like JPP. He's had some games where he looks like an unstoppable force, like against Fresno state in the bowl game.

I like Hunt a lot, just not in the first 2 rounds, he's a much older prospect than most and very, very raw.

He had like 2 huge games and the rest he disappeared.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Poor reps. Poor speed.

I highly doubt he would get away with that after he just went through all the medical checks and interviews. The Combine is the most thorough doctor's visit most of those guys will ever have in their lives. Few if any injuries would truly remain "undisclosed," so teams would just read that as a lie and drop him further.

I don't think Moore is going to be the first DE drafted, but his game was never really based on elite athletic ability. He's more quick than fast and more finesse than strength. He is not going to fit every team and he's probably going to be better in a 3-4 than a 4-3. He'll still be a top 10 pick in all likelihood.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    He's raw, and up and down. How many freakish athletes like that make it in the NFL with poor college production? Quite a lot, when you consider guys like JPP. He's had some games where he looks like an unstoppable force, like against Fresno state in the bowl game.
    I'd make him duck walk or bear crawl between every damn drill.
    Seriously, get lower, man!

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I like Hunt a lot, just not in the first 2 rounds, he's a much older prospect than most and very, very raw.

He had like 2 huge games and the rest he disappeared.
    He'll be 26 to open his first NFL season and has virtually no wear and tear on his body from playing a lot of high school and college ball. He's a genetic freak whose physical attributes aren't going to decline for a long time, it's not like he's a pure speed DE who won't have that kind of quick twitch anymore by his early 30's. I won't say the age is no concern at all, but it won't impact his draft stock in a huge way.

JJ Watt had 11.5 career sacks in college, 106 combined tackles, and 36.5 TFLs. Hunt has 16.5, 112, and 28. I get that Watt only played 2 years and Hunt played 4 but he played only a handful of defensive snaps per year until this past year so they're roughly equivalent in college games played.

Watt was the 11th overall pick primarily based on his freakish upside and measurables. People forget how raw he was coming out of college as well. Hunt is more raw, not QUITE the physical specimen (but very close), and older, but that will make him a late 1st or early 2nd instead of a top-15.

I'm not necessarily saying Hunt SHOULD go that high, based on tape alone he's definitely more of a mid-round prospect, but I'm pretty convinced he's going in the 1st or early 2nd at the latest.