Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Birk Retiring

Re: Birk Retiring

I hope he stays in the area too. I know he's a transplant but his presence raises the per capita 'class act' number for the entire region. And that's not to say it's that bad in Baltimore, it's to say he's that good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    The bigger question.......Ravens ROH?
    I'd say no. He was a great NFL player, but only 4 years here. No Pro Bowls. Basically, just a great man off the field, and a good player on it.

You can probably find several examples of those players. Rod Woodson? Maybe didn't do as much off the field, but certainly was here for 4 years, won a ring, made 3 Pro Bowls, etc. But not in the Ring of Honor.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    :word

A total class act, team-first guy! Very glad he could go out on top!
    Assuming they are replaced by rookies, the cap savings wills till be around $6.16M, that is still pretty significant.

Rookies usually have a cap hit of around 480-600 k in their first year.

So after all the tenders are signed and ERFAs are re-signed etc, we should now roughly be around 7.303 M under the cap (assuming Williams is cut), and this is before further potential retirements, cuts, contract extensions, and restructures (I don't expect the Ravens to restructure anyone really though).

Blog Entries

Oh and congratulations to Matt Birk on an outstanding career. Great guy off the field, and a great player for us, he gave us 4 solid years, and can go out happy with a ring. A Harvard graduate, made the NFL as a 6th round pick, made multiple pro bowls/all pro's and won a SB with the Ravens, can't think of a much better journey than that.

He wont make the HOF, purely because only ONE center has made the HOF in the last twenty years (I think anyway), and while he was certainly top 5 all time C in the last 20/15 years, he can't help the fact that his position is just not recognized much even if it is one of the most important ones in football.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Assuming they are replaced by rookies, the cap savings wills till be around $6.16M, that is still pretty significant.

Rookies usually have a cap hit of around 480-600 k in their first year.

So after all the tenders are signed and ERFAs are re-signed etc, we should now roughly be around 7.303 M under the cap (assuming Williams is cut), and this is before further potential retirements, cuts, contract extensions, and restructures (I don't expect the Ravens to restructure anyone really though).
    You don't need to add in the replacement costs now because they are still under 51 players under contract. Once the RFAs and ERFAs are tendered, that will provide the replacement value, so there's no need to further deduct for the replacements for Lewis, Birk and Williams.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    You don't need to add in the replacement costs now because they are still under 51 players under contract. Once the RFAs and ERFAs are tendered, that will provide the replacement value, so there's no need to further deduct for the replacements for Lewis, Birk and Williams.
    oh yeah lol

Blog Entries

Thanks Ravor.

Can you do a column for this site on the latest cap hits, etc and posting who you think will leave?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    He gave the Ravens 4 mostly good seasons. A couple hiccups here and there, but mostly he was pretty darn solid on the field, and ALWAYS without a doubt a standup guy in the locker room and on his own time. A lot of people (myself included) bitched and moaned when they let Jason Brown leave, but once again Ozzie proved that he knows what's he's doing. Glad to see Matt walk away on his terms, and go out as a champion. He was one of the guys that I was most happy for after the SB. Happy trails, Matt, and thanks.
    Agreed way to go out on top. Thank you Matt Birk you always seem classy in interviews on tv enjoy life beyond football

Blog Entries

Nothing but good things to say about Matt.

Now let's use a 4th or 5th to get some C to push GINO.

My appreciation goes to you #77. Have a happy retirement and just like ray I am glad to see you go out on top on q high note.

Congrats Matt. You're an awesome human being and were a perfect addition to this roster at the perfect time.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis