Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Birk Retiring

Re: Birk Retiring

I'm glad they were able to get those vets, like Birk, that ring.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

I would like to say thanks for making this decision in a timely manner. It gives the Ravens the entire free-agency period and the draft to consider options. I am sure that Gradkowski is the heir apparent, but it never hurts to have options.

It really grates on me when a player gets to training camp, and then suddenly decides his heart isn't in it...leaving the team with very little options in replacing him.

If Matt is indeed retiring, I think his timing is perfect.

Have to admit, a year ago I was hoping he'd retire after a disappointing 2011 season. Turns out I was way off base on that one since there's no question Birk played better in 2012 and was a vital part of the O-line.

That said, I believe it's time for the Ravens to get younger on the O-line -- just as they will hopefully do on the defensive side of the ball. Not sure yet if Gino is the answer at C, but he will get his opportunity.

As to Matt Birk, I'd just say congratulations on going out on top, thanks for all you've done, and good luck in retirement.

He gave the Ravens 4 mostly good seasons. A couple hiccups here and there, but mostly he was pretty darn solid on the field, and ALWAYS without a doubt a standup guy in the locker room and on his own time. A lot of people (myself included) bitched and moaned when they let Jason Brown leave, but once again Ozzie proved that he knows what's he's doing. Glad to see Matt walk away on his terms, and go out as a champion. He was one of the guys that I was most happy for after the SB. Happy trails, Matt, and thanks.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    just curious, any idea if he'll stay in the Baltimore area?
    Not sure, but didn't he grow up in Minnesota?

As for coaching, he certainly could, but we are talking about an Ivy League graduate with a degree in economics. Future is wide open for this dude. Good guy, great community member, very good player. Nothing but the best Matt!

Blog Entries

Someone on scout posted it saves betweeen $2M-$2.5M in CAP space but I'm not sure if that includes dead money. Still along with Rays CAP figures, it should give some breathing room to sign Boldin or Ellerbe, I think.

YOu gotta feel happy for him. He said he was returning for one more shot at a SB ring. What a great career with pro bowls and to go out a champ with a ring. He has a foundation that gives millions to old players in need like Jack Mackey when he was sick and dying. I was always pissed at Marty Ass for having TP of the Squeelers on talking about his good works instead of Birk talking about his.

Best Wishes to a good Raven. He did a lot for the Ravens after Flynn left and was much better than Flynn. Don't rag on him cause he's old.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Someone on scout posted it saves betweeen $2M-$2.5M in CAP space but I'm not sure if that includes dead money. Still along with Rays CAP figures, it should give some breathing room to sign Boldin or Ellerbe, I think.

YOu gotta feel happy for him. He said he was returning for one more shot at a SB ring. What a great career with pro bowls and to go out a champ with a ring. He has a foundation that gives millions to old players in need like Jack Mackey when he was sick and dying. I was always pissed at Marty Ass for having TP of the Squeelers on talking about his good works instead of Birk talking about his.

Best Wishes to a good Raven. He did a lot for the Ravens after Flynn left and was much better than Flynn. Don't rag on him cause he's old.
    We will save 2 mil in cap space.

Birk's cap figure: 3,450,000
    Dead money: 1,400,000
    Savings: 2,050,000

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Da Vida View Post
    Not sure, but didn't he grow up in Minnesota?
    He is. But, unlike most vets, when he signed with the Ravens he upped and moved his whole family to the Baltimore area year round. He's been here a few years now. Maybe he'll decide to stay, maybe go back to Minneapolis, maybe move elsewhere... who knows.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

I sure am glad Mr. Birk finally got his Ring with us to top his HOF career, just like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis.
    It all adds to the legacy of the Baltimore Ravens as well as the individual careers of the terrific players this organization has brought toigether.

Man what a rich history this team has already built in 17 short years. Freakin' awesome.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Blog Entries

Does Birk make the HOF?

I think eventually. He may have to wait a few years.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    We will save 2 mil in cap space.

Birk's cap figure: 3,450,000
    Dead money: 1,400,000
    Savings: 2,050,000
    Thanks for the post. Good info.

So with Ray's retirement CAP figures, that should give us room to at least sign Ellerbe or Boldin - right???

I think we were a couple of mill under the CAP to begin with, not sure.

Definitely a player who gave his all and helped pave the way for the Ravens to be contenders during his stay with the Ravens. Not letting wilfork disrupt Flacco this year in the postseason was awesome. Birk set the bar high for Geno to replace him . Hope Matt stays in Baltimore and best of luck to him and his family in the future. Thanks Mr Birk for playing for the Ravens.