Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Birk Retiring

Blog Entries

Re: Birk Retiring

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Thanks for the post. Good info.

So with Ray's retirement CAP figures, that should give us room to at least sign Ellerbe or Boldin - right???
    We have around 20-21 mil in cap space after figuring in the savings from Birk and Lewis retiring. If they get a deal done with Flacco, we definitely should have enough for Ellerbe. Boldin is under contract until the end of next season. They might extend him to lower his cap number for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Does Birk make the HOF?

I think eventually. He may have to wait a few years.
    No, just the Hall of Very Good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    We have around 20-21 mil in cap space after figuring in the savings from Birk and Lewis retiring. If they get a deal done with Flacco, we definitely should have enough for Ellerbe. Boldin is under contract until the end of next season. They might extend him to lower his cap number for this year.

OK, Thanks, man.

I didn't think Boldin was still signed with everyone talking about cutting him. I know it's to make room to save CAP space but still if he's signed?? Cut someone else.
    Guys like you and Ravor are the reason I come here when I need CAP info. I'm not a CAP expert as you can see.

Birk has also agreed to donate his brain and spinal cord tissue to the Center for Traumatic Encephalopathy at Boston University's School of Medicine for head trauma research.
    This is from the article on Baltimoreravens.com
    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...6-ded966429af3

It's worded kind of funny.... I hope he's not planning on going anywhere soon!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    OK, Thanks, man.

I didn't think Boldin was still signed with everyone talking about cutting him. I know it's to make room to save CAP space but still if he's signed?? Cut someone else.
    Guys like you and Ravor are the reason I come here when I need CAP info. I'm not a CAP expert as you can see.
    No problem - I've been doing a lot of reading trying to understand contracts and salary cap implications.

Also, I always enjoy reading your stories.

Thanks to Matt. He was the best center we ever had.

Blog Entries

Thank you Matt for being a Raven! It must of been hard to move from your hometown team Vikings and uproot your family and move to the Ravens especially with all your children. You will be missed.

Blog Entries

The personification of class and handling his self in such a manner, professionally in his work ethic and away from the game.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

The reason people talk about cutting Boldin is because the next closest guys are Jacoby Jones (4 Mil) and Vonta Leach (3 Mil). Boldin's number is just HUGE. But that said, I agree...you CAN'T cut him. No one else steps up to replace him.

I'd rather cut Jacoby AND Leach and keep Boldin for 6 Mil. That said, hopefully Flacco gets a deal done, and we can extend Boldin
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Thanks to Matt. He was the best center we ever had.
    That he was. I'm glad he was able to get his ring too. He was a class A guy while he was here, and I wish him only the best in his post-football career.

That Harvard degree will come in quite handy now. He will have no trouble being set for life.

HOF talk is interesting. I don't think he goes in right away, maybe 3rd or 4th time. You can't argue with his accomplishments. But he's not a big name guy.

The bigger question.......Ravens ROH?

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    If that $20-21M under is coming from Spotrac.com, it's not accurate.

They have around $111M committed to the Cap presently. Removing Ray, Birk and Williams reduces that number by $7.6M, but that would be with only 46 players under contract. Once the RFAs and ERFAs are added back in, much of that space will be used up.

With no other moves made (Leach restructure/release, Boldin extension, any other restructure), I would estimate they will have around $7.5M in Cap space heading into FA. But, that wouldn't include whatever they do with Flacco.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by Bufflehead View Post
    Thanks Matt!!! What a great career, and I am so happy you got your ring here in Baltimore!

Enjoy the time with your family!.
    :word

A total class act, team-first guy! Very glad he could go out on top!
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap