Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Re: 2 Super Bowl Rings in 17 years

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Fixed is more like it, Bookies all knew that. LOL
    Agree. That game was fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioleWay View Post
    Actually, it was bittersweet. I had stored some of his more caustic e-mails about Flacco with the intention of returning them to him in the eventuality that Flacco won a SB (MVP was a bonus). Some mentioned the "Dilfer Curse" and we'd "never win a SB with Flacco at the helm". The more recent ones referred to "Flake-O, the nerd" and put him in the group of "loser QB's like Romo, Cutler, etc.that will never see a title".

I was going to throw them in his face, but couldn't after his humble "I was wrong" admission, so I decided to take the high road as he had done. Oh well.
    I could never understand how fans of other teams got so invested in being "right" about Flacco sucking. The whole thing was very weird.

I can't see how our five Championships grew to ten, unless also counting CFL, USFL, AAFC, the conference championship of 1964, the NFL win followed by the Super Bowl loss of 1968, etc. The five were:

1958 "Greatest Game Ever Played"

Pittsburgh, who has been around since the 1930s, has earned more Championships (6) than Baltimore (5 Championships since 1950).

If you want to keep more recent comparisons: Pitt is 2-2 since 1995; Baltimore is 2-0.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I go back and forth on this technicality. I would be interested in people's thoughts on our '68 "championship."
    The Only Thing that counts is World Championships, and '68 was not one of them. To be honest and fair, Baltimore has 5 World Championships, not six(, but Baltimore has won World Championships at a faster rate than has Pittsburgh, for those interested in this sort of thing, which I am)!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Sua Sponte View Post
    I'd say 2 Lombari's in 17 years is pretty damn good.

That is 8.5 years a Ring.

There is voting going on about getting a ring ever 12 years, I'd say I'd take that as long as we are staying competitive and knocking the NFL's beloved teams out of the race ever once in a while.
    Winning Super Bowls is the ultimate, but I tell ya I sure do like knocking Brady and Manning, and NFL's fantasy teams out of the playoffs.

Let's win one more first before we go to that 12 year strategy
    I like the positive tone of the post/thread, and I agree. OTOH, it's hard not to wonder how many more super bowls the Ravens might have won, especially in 2011, if Cam Cameron had been fired a year or two earlier. (And before the cry goes out: "Hindsight is always 20-20", there were plenty of folks, myself included, who called for his firing years before it came to pass.) But anyway...time to look to the future and bigger, brighter things to come.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    I like the positive tone of the post/thread, and I agree. OTOH, it's hard not to wonder how many more super bowls the Ravens might have won, especially in 2011, if Cam Cameron had been fired a year or two earlier. (And before the cry goes out: "Hindsight is always 20-20", there were plenty of folks, myself included, who called for his firing years before it came to pass.) But anyway...time to look to the future and bigger, brighter things to come.
    I was done with Cam after the 09 season... 08 was Joe's rookie year with a killer D and 3 headed monster running game, getting to the AFCC was an over achievement.
    It would have been interesting to see a 2010 and 2011 team without Cam and still a top 10 D.

Quote Originally Posted by Sua Sponte View Post
    I was done with Cam after the 09 season... 08 was Joe's rookie year with a killer D and 3 headed monster running game, getting to the AFCC was an over achievement.
    It would have been interesting to see a 2010 and 2011 team without Cam and still a top 10 D.
    Exactly. Especially when one understands how difficult it is to get that brass ring. But at least for now, things are looking bright. (I have an ominous feeling that Caldwell is going to be a one year rental, and that after the 2013 season someone is going to hire him as a HC, but that's too far down the road to deal with right now.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    ... it's hard not to wonder how many more super bowls the Ravens might have won, especially in 2011, if Cam Cameron had been fired a year or two earlier...
    I'm no Cam lover, but let's face it...if not for the Evans "drop" or the shanked FG, the Ravens may have won last year's Super Bowl... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'm no Cam lover, but let's face it...if not for the Evans "drop" or the shanked FG, the Ravens may have won last year's Super Bowl... Bc
    It's all well and good to focus on that one play. OTOH, the Ravens went 3 and out in their first 6 possessions. And that doesn't even get into the fact that the Ravens could have easily won home field advantage by beating teams they should have beaten earlier in the year. So really...there's no way of getting around the negative impact that Cameron had on the team.

And to further play the "what if" game, if they do win last year's SB, do they obtain Jacoby Jones and Tucker this past off-season and repeat?

They should have won it all in 2010 too. If not for a Ray Rice fumble, Flacco Int, and Birk snapping the ball into Flacco's leg, the Ravens would have beaten the Steelers going away, and then faced a weak Jets team, and then the Packers, whom I think they would have beaten. The 2010-2011 Ravens were a great team, the best in football those years.

The 2006 team was the best in football that year too, only to fall to the Colts, whom they were heavy favorites to beat. They didn't adjust their game plan to compensate for Indy's fast, small defense, and McNair threw a terrible pick that changed the complexion of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    They should have won it all in 2010 too. If not for a Ray Rice fumble, Flacco Int, and Birk snapping the ball into Flacco's leg, the Ravens would have beaten the Steelers going away, and then faced a weak Jets team, and then the Packers, whom I think they would have beaten. The 2010-2011 Ravens were a great team, the best in football those years.

The 2006 team was the best in football that year too, only to fall to the Colts, whom they were heavy favorites to beat. They didn't adjust their game plan to compensate for Indy's fast, small defense, and McNair threw a terrible pick that changed the complexion of the game.
    Actually, Birk snapped it to his own leg, not Joe's leg.