Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 67
  1. #46

    Re: 2 Super Bowl Rings in 17 years



    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'm no Cam lover, but let's face it...if not for the Evans "drop" or the shanked FG, the Ravens may have won last year's Super Bowl... Bc
    And to further play the "what if" game, if they do win last year's SB, do they obtain Jacoby Jones and Tucker this past off-season and repeat?




  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,547
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 2 Super Bowl Rings in 17 years

    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'm no Cam lover, but let's face it...if not for the Evans "drop" or the shanked FG, the Ravens may have won last year's Super Bowl... Bc
    They should have won it all in 2010 too. If not for a Ray Rice fumble, Flacco Int, and Birk snapping the ball into Flacco's leg, the Ravens would have beaten the Steelers going away, and then faced a weak Jets team, and then the Packers, whom I think they would have beaten. The 2010-2011 Ravens were a great team, the best in football those years.

    The 2006 team was the best in football that year too, only to fall to the Colts, whom they were heavy favorites to beat. They didn't adjust their game plan to compensate for Indy's fast, small defense, and McNair threw a terrible pick that changed the complexion of the game.




  3. #48

    Re: 2 Super Bowl Rings in 17 years

    Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    They should have won it all in 2010 too. If not for a Ray Rice fumble, Flacco Int, and Birk snapping the ball into Flacco's leg, the Ravens would have beaten the Steelers going away, and then faced a weak Jets team, and then the Packers, whom I think they would have beaten. The 2010-2011 Ravens were a great team, the best in football those years.

    The 2006 team was the best in football that year too, only to fall to the Colts, whom they were heavy favorites to beat. They didn't adjust their game plan to compensate for Indy's fast, small defense, and McNair threw a terrible pick that changed the complexion of the game.
    Actually, Birk snapped it to his own leg, not Joe's leg.




  4. #49

    Re: 2 Super Bowl Rings in 17 years

    McNair no longer had the arm to stretch defenses, so the Irsays could focus on defending the shorter stuff.
    Al




  5. #50

    Re: 2 Super Bowl Rings in 17 years

    Quote Originally Posted by OriAl View Post
    McNair no longer had the arm to stretch defenses, so the Irsays could focus on defending the shorter stuff.
    And Billick abandoned the run with J Lewis that had been quite effective in the first half, especially to the left side since Freeney was primarily focused on pass rushing and Lewis was running right by him on a regular basis. That all got nixed in the second half. Shame, really.




  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area
    Posts
    2,215

    Re: 2 Super Bowl Rings in 17 years

    For me (and this is only MY opinion), I honor the legacy of football in Baltimore.

    That being said, I kinda see the different teams (BALTIMORE Colts, Stallions, Ravens, etc.) as separate entities, all of which represent the area and its fans. So, while I don't argue with the "number of championships" debate, I also don't hold to much concern for how many championships the team(s) have won collectively.

    What I DO like about the Ravens, however, is the idea that they seem to be able to squeeze out a championship now and then, and season in and season out are "in it" competitively as far as getting to the playoffs, which is a pre-req to winningthe SB. There were many discussions over on SunSpot with the theme of "Do you want a team that's always competitive but doesn't win championships, or do you want a team that is "eh?" in between infrequent trips to the playoffs/SB? It appears that Ravens fans are getting the best of both worlds in that type of debate, and personally, I can live with the product we're getting.




  7. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,453
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: 2 Super Bowl Rings in 17 years

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    And Billick abandoned the run with J Lewis that had been quite effective in the first half, especially to the left side since Freeney was primarily focused on pass rushing and Lewis was running right by him on a regular basis. That all got nixed in the second half. Shame, really.

    Exactly and that's partly why Billick is no longer here and can't get another job. Jamal pleaded with Billick to run him in
    the 2d half saying he could beat their outside line backer but he lived and died with that damn west coast offense. On
    the final interception Indy made to ice the game they left DEM WILLs all alone in the corner of the end zone because
    they knew Billick would throw up the middle. Everyone in the damn house knew it. Indy was so sure two of them ran
    into each other getting the ball up the middle. Billick had scored on that play before during the regular season. Afterward, they said they knew what they were going to do and were told there would be short passes in front of you, just make the tackles. At top of game there was a short pass to Heap who fumbled and that was the game. We still could have beaten them just running Jamal.

    Thats another year we should have gone to the SB as well as the last 3 years before finally making it this time. Ray
    should have a couple of more rings.




  8. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,453
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: 2 Super Bowl Rings in 17 years

    As far as Caldwell being a 1-yr rental, HARBS has a knack of pulling winners out of thin air like PAGs, Pees and Caldwell,
    also Jerry Rossberg who was interviewed for a HC job and he hired Castillo this year.

    Castillo would probably succeed Caldwell if he left with all that experience in Philly.




  9. #54

    Re: 2 Super Bowl Rings in 17 years

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Exactly and that's partly why Billick is no longer here and can't get another job. Jamal pleaded with Billick to run him in
    the 2d half saying he could beat their outside line backer but he lived and died with that damn west coast offense. On
    the final interception Indy made to ice the game they left DEM WILLs all alone in the corner of the end zone because
    they knew Billick would throw up the middle. Everyone in the damn house knew it. Indy was so sure two of them ran
    into each other getting the ball up the middle. Billick had scored on that play before during the regular season. Afterward, they said they knew what they were going to do and were told there would be short passes in front of you, just make the tackles. At top of game there was a short pass to Heap who fumbled and that was the game. We still could have beaten them just running Jamal.

    Thats another year we should have gone to the SB as well as the last 3 years before finally making it this time. Ray
    should have a couple of more rings.
    That's the way I see it. So while I certainly appreciate the 2 Lombardies, it's hard not to look back with a critical eye and some bitterness over what could have been, with just a few tweaks here and there, especially with the coaching staff, and one QB who shall remain nameless. (Wait...I just fell off my chair, dropped my laptop, and stumbled over absolutely nothing.)




  10. #55

    Re: 2 Super Bowl Rings in 17 years

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    As far as Caldwell being a 1-yr rental, HARBS has a knack of pulling winners out of thin air like PAGs, Pees and Caldwell,
    also Jerry Rossberg who was interviewed for a HC job and he hired Castillo this year.

    Castillo would probably succeed Caldwell if he left with all that experience in Philly.
    Agreed that the Ravens do a good job filling the vacancies. And the vacancies themselves are the price of success. It's been going on up in N.E. for quite some time. And the number of former Ravens coaches around the league is growing. And that's both a good thing and something that has the potential to be disruptive. (It's why I like coaches like Tom Moore and Dick LeBeau -- they don't have any aspirations to be head coaches, and they provide important continuity to the teams they're on.)




  11. #56

    Re: 2 Super Bowl Rings in 17 years

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Exactly and that's partly why Billick is no longer here and can't get another job. Jamal pleaded with Billick to run him in
    the 2d half saying he could beat their outside line backer but he lived and died with that damn west coast offense. On
    the final interception Indy made to ice the game they left DEM WILLs all alone in the corner of the end zone because
    they knew Billick would throw up the middle. Everyone in the damn house knew it. Indy was so sure two of them ran
    into each other getting the ball up the middle. Billick had scored on that play before during the regular season. Afterward, they said they knew what they were going to do and were told there would be short passes in front of you, just make the tackles. At top of game there was a short pass to Heap who fumbled and that was the game. We still could have beaten them just running Jamal.

    Thats another year we should have gone to the SB as well as the last 3 years before finally making it this time. Ray
    should have a couple of more rings.
    Define "should". We don't deserve credit for making mistakes just because the occurrences were unusual.




  12. #57

    Re: 2 Super Bowl Rings in 17 years

    Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    Define "should". We don't deserve credit for making mistakes just because the occurrences were unusual.
    I'll define should as I see it. The Ravens should have fired Cameron 2 years ago. They had enough information on his limitations. They knew that the relationship and the communication was poor between Joe and Cam. The problems were right there, and the issue should have been adequately addressed, but was not. And that's a shame. If/when you don't know something, that's one thing. Chit happens. But when you DO know that something ain't right, and you don't adequately address it, that's another matter entirely. And to look back on that, knowing full well the solution was there but not used, is a bitter pill to swallow, IMO.




  13. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gettysburg, PA
    Posts
    2,960

    Re: 2 Super Bowl Rings in 17 years

    Hey, Steeler Fans, EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT!!!! New King of the Division!!!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton




  14. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,453
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: 2 Super Bowl Rings in 17 years

    Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    Define "should". We don't deserve credit for making mistakes just because the occurrences were unusual.
    Um, some of those unusual occurrences were choke jobs like Evans dropping the ball in the end zone forgetting to secure the ball after Joe dumped it in his lap with 25 secs left and then Billy blowing a chip shot with 11 seconds left and Boldin dropping a TD on the goal line as well as TJ dropping a TD in PIss and a 20 yards out of bounds hit that took the ball way back when a rookie QB was approaching mid field with 4 mins left. Others were plain out right stupidity on the coaches in question (like not going with your strength, a strong RB, when your QB ran out of gas) just like Shula in SB 3 for not starting the best player on the team just to prove a point. That was another SB we should have won but the freaking coach choked. I know Ray was upset for wasting all his great Ds during those years. And don't forget 03 where Billick blew the POs just 2 years after gutting the SB team. Phil Savage said Billick blew the POs with 8 pro bowlers we gave him. NE won that SB with 9. Just my humble freaking opinion.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 02-24-2013 at 02:52 PM.




  15. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cub Hill, MD
    Posts
    2,691

    Re: 2 Super Bowl Rings in 17 years

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I know Ray was upset for wasting all his great Ds during those years.
    I thought about this from time to time over the last month. Isn't it ironic that we finally won again during a year when the defense was down.

    Offense wins championships!


    WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland