Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: 2 Super Bowl Rings in 17 years

McNair no longer had the arm to stretch defenses, so the Irsays could focus on defending the shorter stuff.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by OriAl View Post
    McNair no longer had the arm to stretch defenses, so the Irsays could focus on defending the shorter stuff.
    And Billick abandoned the run with J Lewis that had been quite effective in the first half, especially to the left side since Freeney was primarily focused on pass rushing and Lewis was running right by him on a regular basis. That all got nixed in the second half. Shame, really.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

For me (and this is only MY opinion), I honor the legacy of football in Baltimore.

That being said, I kinda see the different teams (BALTIMORE Colts, Stallions, Ravens, etc.) as separate entities, all of which represent the area and its fans. So, while I don't argue with the "number of championships" debate, I also don't hold to much concern for how many championships the team(s) have won collectively.

What I DO like about the Ravens, however, is the idea that they seem to be able to squeeze out a championship now and then, ;) and season in and season out are "in it" competitively as far as getting to the playoffs, which is a pre-req to winningthe SB. There were many discussions over on SunSpot with the theme of "Do you want a team that's always competitive but doesn't win championships, or do you want a team that is "eh?" in between infrequent trips to the playoffs/SB? It appears that Ravens fans are getting the best of both worlds in that type of debate, and personally, I can live with the product we're getting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    And Billick abandoned the run with J Lewis that had been quite effective in the first half, especially to the left side since Freeney was primarily focused on pass rushing and Lewis was running right by him on a regular basis. That all got nixed in the second half. Shame, really.

Exactly and that's partly why Billick is no longer here and can't get another job. Jamal pleaded with Billick to run him in
    the 2d half saying he could beat their outside line backer but he lived and died with that damn west coast offense. On
    the final interception Indy made to ice the game they left DEM WILLs all alone in the corner of the end zone because
    they knew Billick would throw up the middle. Everyone in the damn house knew it. Indy was so sure two of them ran
    into each other getting the ball up the middle. Billick had scored on that play before during the regular season. Afterward, they said they knew what they were going to do and were told there would be short passes in front of you, just make the tackles. At top of game there was a short pass to Heap who fumbled and that was the game. We still could have beaten them just running Jamal.

Thats another year we should have gone to the SB as well as the last 3 years before finally making it this time. Ray
    should have a couple of more rings.

Blog Entries

As far as Caldwell being a 1-yr rental, HARBS has a knack of pulling winners out of thin air like PAGs, Pees and Caldwell,
    also Jerry Rossberg who was interviewed for a HC job and he hired Castillo this year.

Castillo would probably succeed Caldwell if he left with all that experience in Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Exactly and that's partly why Billick is no longer here and can't get another job. Jamal pleaded with Billick to run him in
    the 2d half saying he could beat their outside line backer but he lived and died with that damn west coast offense. On
    the final interception Indy made to ice the game they left DEM WILLs all alone in the corner of the end zone because
    they knew Billick would throw up the middle. Everyone in the damn house knew it. Indy was so sure two of them ran
    into each other getting the ball up the middle. Billick had scored on that play before during the regular season. Afterward, they said they knew what they were going to do and were told there would be short passes in front of you, just make the tackles. At top of game there was a short pass to Heap who fumbled and that was the game. We still could have beaten them just running Jamal.

Thats another year we should have gone to the SB as well as the last 3 years before finally making it this time. Ray
    That's the way I see it. So while I certainly appreciate the 2 Lombardies, it's hard not to look back with a critical eye and some bitterness over what could have been, with just a few tweaks here and there, especially with the coaching staff, and one QB who shall remain nameless. (Wait...I just fell off my chair, dropped my laptop, and stumbled over absolutely nothing.)

As far as Caldwell being a 1-yr rental, HARBS has a knack of pulling winners out of thin air like PAGs, Pees and Caldwell,
    also Jerry Rossberg who was interviewed for a HC job and he hired Castillo this year.

Castillo would probably succeed Caldwell if he left with all that experience in Philly.
    Agreed that the Ravens do a good job filling the vacancies. And the vacancies themselves are the price of success. It's been going on up in N.E. for quite some time. And the number of former Ravens coaches around the league is growing. And that's both a good thing and something that has the potential to be disruptive. (It's why I like coaches like Tom Moore and Dick LeBeau -- they don't have any aspirations to be head coaches, and they provide important continuity to the teams they're on.)

Define "should". We don't deserve credit for making mistakes just because the occurrences were unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    Define "should". We don't deserve credit for making mistakes just because the occurrences were unusual.
    I'll define should as I see it. The Ravens should have fired Cameron 2 years ago. They had enough information on his limitations. They knew that the relationship and the communication was poor between Joe and Cam. The problems were right there, and the issue should have been adequately addressed, but was not. And that's a shame. If/when you don't know something, that's one thing. Chit happens. But when you DO know that something ain't right, and you don't adequately address it, that's another matter entirely. And to look back on that, knowing full well the solution was there but not used, is a bitter pill to swallow, IMO.

Hey, Steeler Fans, EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT!!!! New King of the Division!!!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    Um, some of those unusual occurrences were choke jobs like Evans dropping the ball in the end zone forgetting to secure the ball after Joe dumped it in his lap with 25 secs left and then Billy blowing a chip shot with 11 seconds left and Boldin dropping a TD on the goal line as well as TJ dropping a TD in PIss and a 20 yards out of bounds hit that took the ball way back when a rookie QB was approaching mid field with 4 mins left. Others were plain out right stupidity on the coaches in question (like not going with your strength, a strong RB, when your QB ran out of gas) just like Shula in SB 3 for not starting the best player on the team just to prove a point. That was another SB we should have won but the freaking coach choked. I know Ray was upset for wasting all his great Ds during those years. And don't forget 03 where Billick blew the POs just 2 years after gutting the SB team. Phil Savage said Billick blew the POs with 8 pro bowlers we gave him. NE won that SB with 9. Just my humble freaking opinion.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 02-24-2013 at 02:52 PM.

I know Ray was upset for wasting all his great Ds during those years.
    I thought about this from time to time over the last month. Isn't it ironic that we finally won again during a year when the defense was down.

Offense wins championships!

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012